Series 3 - Episode 8

LordFear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Series 3 - Episode 8

Post by LordFear »

Having watched today's episode on Challenge, I have a question to put to you. Bearing in mind that this episode takes place before I took over the dungeon (and the whole place was better for it), could somebody please explain to me who the individual on the bridge who turned McGrew into a toad was?

My first guess was that it might have been my pathetic predecessor, Mogdred, but then I remembered that the stupid fool rarely (if ever) summoned up the testicluar fortitude to remove his lazy backside from Level Three.
(Even when I took over the dungeon when he went to the retirement home, one of the goblins had to give me guided tour because Mogdred couldn't be bothered to get out of his chair to do it himself)

So tell me, was it him? If not, who was it?

Fear

PS: Oh, and be warned, show the proper respect when answering of run the risk of my inserting a fireball into your anal cavity ;)
Last edited by Drassil on 05 Jan 2011, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title adjusted to improve navigation.
Live in Fear....
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Greetings Mortals, A Question For You....

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Your Lordship,

It had to be Mogdred, especially since he said they would meet again. The only place they could have met would have been later in Level 3 had they survived the ledge and Morghanna's chasing axe. It's strange that he decided to disguise himself: perhaps the senility was already beginning to set in. He's better off in the retirement home, I'm sure. Have you heard from him recently? Is he still chasing his nurses with magic swords when they want to give him a bath, and turning his fellow residents into amphibeans when they won't let him watch Crossroads?
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 26 Jan 2003, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Yes, yer Fearship. Er... Lordship.

Lah-vely!
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

It was Pickle - that was why he was sent to help Treguard on sufferance. For interfering with the quests! He thought he had got away with it but I think he knew deep down that he wouldn't, as he said they would meet again. Can't think how he got down there.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
CedricTheMadMonk
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by CedricTheMadMonk »

The character was definitely voiced by John Woodnutt and sounded like a cross between Merlin and Mogdred.  Since Mogdred isn't normally seen above level 3 that's why he was disguised - anyway he has been in level 2 before when he "welcomed" the dungeoneer to his "playpen".
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

They never said who it was, but the voice was Mogdred's, and Treguard sure seemed nervous about him - "I don't know who this is, but I have a horrible suspicion...".

Besides, Mogdred appeared several times in Level 2, especially in Series 2. In fact, the first time we ever saw him was in the Level 2 Clue Room.

And I love to tempt fate, so....he has more kills to his name than Lord Fear! :P
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

The left path

Post by Purgatory »

Watching the current team who just died.. do u think they should have takeing the Right door rarther then let?

Also.. it looked a bit odd then they died.. watching it again it doesn't look like they walked off the cliff... after all thats where the door was. Looks like they were killed off for takeing the wrong door. Its was a very un fair death.  >:(  >:(  >:(
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Valiant
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: The left path

Post by Valiant »

Hi this is my first post.  ;D

I was also going to mention this as the room that team came into is probably one of the hardest of all eight series and to come up against it on only the second screen of level of three seems slightly fishy.

Extra irregularaties for the appearance of Morganna or Malice or whatever she was called as they had met old Moggy on the bridge in level two and he explicitly said they would meet again. Seems rather strange to have two uber villans in one quest.  

Of all the teams that nearly made it through series three I would have liked this one to have got to the end in the slim hope of seeing an epic confrontation against Mogdred.

Lastly the team took absolutley ages to get moving in the room and only started shuffling forward at Treguard's insistence as the axe was nearly upon them.

I wouldn't mind asking Tim Child about this death. If it really was a mistake or it was forced?  :-X

PS Did the dungeoneer have a neck problem? As several times on camera he was slumped in very awkward positions.

That'll do for a first post.
Last edited by Valiant on 26 Jun 2003, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Hmm, I seem to recall talking about this in a post when Series 3 was first repeated.  I think that then we all seemed to draw the conclusion that he sidestepped the wrong way and simply fell off.

It's interesting that a sinister element has been introduced here.  Yes, it is true that the room used on level 3 was extremely difficult and to my memory I think that it was the only time it was ever used.  However, as unfortunate as it is, there was no excuse for a team  (especially in the first 3 series) choosing left over right and expecting an easy ride.  I also disagreed with this policy when I was younger but the producers of Knightmare seriously believed in employing the 'sinister' and 'dextor' approach to left and right in most cases and by series 3 everyone should have twigged that going left was not the thing to do.  Why else did EVERY team in series 3 choose the right-hand path when presented with no other information?
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

However, as unfortunate as it is, there was no excuse for a team  (especially in the first 3 series) choosing left over right and expecting an easy ride.  I also disagreed with this policy when I was younger but the producers of Knightmare seriously believed in employing the 'sinister' and 'dextor' approach to left and right in most cases and by series 3 everyone should have twigged that going left was not the thing to do.
I've read somewhere (possibly a quest review in The Eye Shield?) that this team picked left because there was a trail of bones leading from the mine cart all the way up to the right-hand door.  This certainly looks to be the case, and I don't think in series 3 that they were quite so harsh on killing people off for taking the left- instead of right-hand door.  Several teams do it and don't appear to end up in a particularly difficult room as a result.  However, later on Martin clearly steps over the bones on his way through the right-hand door, and he doesn't come to any immediate harm, either.

A lot of the quests had one-off rooms or challenges, some of which turned out to be more difficult than others.  One team got floating skulls all over them in the level 1 room that is the beam room, but with 95% of the floor already missing, and ended up dying as a result.  This team got a very narrow path to cross.  The axe wasn't in any hurry to hit them, I think it was just trying to make them hurry up too much and make a mistake.  But I think they were very unlucky to have been judged to have stepped off; plenty of other teams were far closer to (or even blatantly off) the path without dying.
Last edited by Dan on 26 Jun 2003, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

If Ross had taken the right-hand door then I suspect we would have seen some Cavernwights in the next room, along with a lot of bones!  I wonder why going left was like "abandon hope all ye who enter here". Maybe it's something to do with the myth that the devil stands at your left side, therefore in Knightmare chambers to the left will be evil? The only time someone went left was when The Oracle told Leo "when faced with death, you must go left". That was unusual...

Valiant - yep, I noticed that Ross seemed to hunch over a bit too.

Did anyone see the "funny mouth" that Leo put on when he was walking down a blue Dwarf Tunnel? It's when the angle changes to show him facing the camera, if you look you see him putting his top lip down over his bottom one!
Last edited by Velda on 26 Jun 2003, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Werewolf
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Werewolf »

I think the reason he hunched over was so that he could talk into the microphone in his shirt. Maybe he didn't want to speak loudly or something....

I think the production crew or whoever were in two minds about letting him off dying as well - note that he only drops into the pit on his second step. I personally think he should have been let off, seeing as he was only fractionally off the ledge (others have been let off for worse). Although they did deserve to get hacked by the axe for taking too damn long to decide to head for the door...it would have been interesting to hear what the advisors were saying...

"Shall we head for the door?"
"No"
"What shall we do?"
"Lets sit here and look at the pretty graphics"
"But what about the axe?"
"Good point"
"Lets go then"
"Righto"
"You guide him"
"No, you do it"

etc etc  ::)
Assassins do it from behind
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

it would have been interesting to hear what the advisors were saying...
They seemed to be wondering if they could go up the path on the left-hand side of the screen; the perspective in that room is odd, but it did look like there was a path up there that would've been far easier to cross, but whether it led anywhere or not I don't know.  I suspect not. ;-)

Velda:
I wonder why going left was like "abandon hope all ye who enter here"

I'm guessing it's because the latin for left and right is 'sinister' and 'dexter' respectively (from 'dexter' we obviously derive words like 'dexterity").  Being left-handed was often considered to be freakish or unnatural, which is where we get the meaning behind the modern-day usage of 'sinister'.  Therefore, left is bad and right is good.

Or something. :-)
Last edited by Dan on 26 Jun 2003, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Intresting,
But the team who just died took a coupke of left doors and ended up in a few  nasty rooms (bomb room being one of them)  But because of the bones leading to that door is more reason to use it, for a start its giveing a guide as to where to go, and 2nd u wont beat the castle of u try to take short cuts or hide from its damgers.   But i still don't believe he walked off the cliff.

and Mogdred didn't fool anyone  ;) i would have liked to have seen the rest of this quest.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

[quote]and 2nd u wont beat the castle of u try to take short cuts or hide from its damgers.  

No; that approach only worked a couple of times in series 8. ::)

Seriously though, I actually found it hard to judge whether he was off the edge or not because the path turns so that we are looking at it from almost sideways on.

Also, both of the other teams that made it to level 3 ignored the bones and went through the right hand door to an easier chamber; it's not as though they formed a physical barrier.
Last edited by Whiteknight on 27 Jun 2003, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'