Series 3 - Episode 6

Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: todays ep,

Post by Dan »

Grimaldine Grimwold wrote: It's be very interesting to know exactly what the gargoyle would have told them if they'd been correct. Would he have told them the correct way? If so, what use were any of the Level 3 clue objects? I still find it a little confusing. Mogdred said none were of use: surely he couldn't have been telling the truth.
(old thread resurrection alert, sorry!)

I think, having finally had a chance to watch this series from Sky+ recordings (and therefore actually seeing the first 3 minutes of each episode, which always used to be cut off for me by ntl due to their sloppy switching from TV Travel Shop to Challenge...), that I know what the Gargoyle would have said.

Treguard hints at the start of episode 6 that the team have missed information from the Gargoyle, and again in the recap at the start of episode 7 that they have missed -how- to use the clue items. I therefore postulate[1] that the Gargoyle would've told Leo to do something like sprinkle the stardust on the shield and hold it up in order to reveal the correct path - or maybe sprinkle it on each path (instead of on the flat bit before the paths) in order to illuminate the way, leaving the shield to be used in a final confrontation.

The wording Treguard uses in his recaps at the start of episodes 6 and 7 are the key to this - he very strongly indicates that Leo had all the items he needed, just lacked the knowledge of how to use them together. Shame.

[1] or at least speculate wildly.

It's a shame you can't post to a thread without bumping it back to the top of the forum. Hello to all the people that've just read this to find out why a Series 3 post has suddenly appeared in amongst the Series 5 threads. Series 3 is better, anyway. ;-)
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 3 - Episodes 5/6

Post by MoanaLiza »

Particularly when the old title still remains at the top of each thread, saying todays ep. Mind you I forgive you if you've only just watched that ep again and felt like you needed to comment on it.
Last edited by Anonymous on 29 Aug 2004, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: todays ep,

Post by Helvellyn »

Well, if dragging this old thread out is OK, I'll do so a mere four years on (the penalty of discovering this site too late, I suppose).

The question was hard. I'd have known it at that age, but only because I'd been taken there :) Whilst Avebury is reasonably famous, it's not exactly commonly famous, if that makes any sense. Anyone interested in wandering around looking for stone circles would know of it, or anyone who's visited the area, but not the rest because it's hardly ever mentioned anywhere. It was tough, but it was Level 3, so I'm not completely sure whether or not it was too tough.

In my opinion trying the Glory spell would not be a good idea, either now or later. Mogdred isn't going to hand something out that'll be of use. Perhaps the idea was that they might be panicked into trying it a bit later, had Leo survived.

For a harder question, what's the largest stone circle in the north of England? Avebury has tourists; this has one only had a few cows whenever I've been there.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 3 - Episode 6

Post by Gretel »

Dragging this back once more to admit I watched the entire episode over again for Velda... she is a rather sweet thing, if a wee bit stroppy.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 3 - Episode 6

Post by Morghanna »

There was a strange feeling about the start of this episode. Altho team 4 were into level 3, it seemed probable that they had already lost their chance when they couldn't answer the gargoyle's tough question.

Mogdred appeared in the clue room to taunt them before they could choose their objects. An easy choice tho, from shield, stardust & dagger.
Were surprisingly slow to react in Kaa's room and got a hurry-up from Treguard. They seemed to be trying to decide if there was an exit to the right. I couldn't tell on my screen, as it looked slightly shadowy on that side.
Got past the cat statues easily and collected the final piece of the chalice.

Were they supposed to use the shield in these two rooms? Seemed a bit o.t.t.
:question: If not, why did the shield subsequently disappear? Leo had it going past the cat statues, but he is clearly not carrying it when he enters the stained glass window room. His left hand is empty when he grabs the hand rail.
They sprinkled the stardust on the floor, without any effect.
Had to guess which of the 4 paths to take, as they didn't have the gargoyle's help.
Took path 3 and fell over the cliff. :'( :'( A real pity, as they were a brilliant team.
Treguard told them they had fallen at the last hurdle. At least he cast "UNITE" rather than "DISMISS" in respect of their near-miss.

Some thoughts:
Yet another team to suffer the curse of the quest for the (poisoned) chalice.

The stardust possibly had no use anyway and was a red-herring. Julian's winning team in series 2 had a bag of salt which they didn't actually use in level 3.

Presumably the gargoyle would have given them a spell such as "SUN" or DARK" (which the two winning teams in series 2 used) to show the correct path.

:question: Did they actually have a genuine 1 in 4 chance of guessing the correct path, or were they in losing-status and therefore doomed as they failed the gargoyle's question?

One final point about how well-prepared this team were: when they had no other clue which path to take, they automatically chose path 3, the same one taken successfully by both teams who reached this room in series 2. This team had clearly done their homework. Unfortunately it still didn't help. Even if they had a fair chance to guess, it seems that the producers had shuffled the cards since the previous series. The correct path from this room in series 3 was probably path 2. Much later on, team 11 were clearly directed that way by a quest piece.

After this drama, team 5 seemed very slow in comparison.
They did ok against Golgarach, 2/3 with no prompting.
Needed rescuing from the behemoth by Velda, who really gave them a piece of her mind. ;D
Presumably James had x-ray vision to be able to see that pie on the other side of the room? >:(
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
asrl07
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Series 3 team 4 (Leo)

Post by asrl07 »

Dan wrote: 29 Jun 2003, 21:43
I think the riddle was something like:

"There is a circle of stones at Stonehenge, but where else in England is such a ring to be found?"

The answer was Avonbury. Apparently.
Avebury.

It really is quite famous, you know. ;-)
It might be, but I thought it was an over the top hard question. I very much doubt it could be classed as general knowledge, as the only people likely to know it are those interested in stone circles, and those who live near it. It is like asking what is the fifth highest mountain in Scotland, which few people who aren't keen hillwalkers would know.