Series 2

Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2

Post by Malefact »

I have to say that series 2 is perhaps my favourite.

I like the huge variety of deaths! You can say what you like about series 3, but series 2 was much better at deaths. Martin's team in s3 was ended with a disappointing anti-climax compared to team 3 in s2.

If a new series of Km is made, then I'd like it to have Lord Fear AND a Mogdred-style baddie as well. It's all very well to have Lord Fear plotting nasty things to do, but the unpredicatability of a baddie who could crop up ANYWHERE is a really good way of building up tension!
Subject to change.
Dublex
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dublex »

In many ways I preferred these earlier series to the later "outdoors" series - they were dark, brooding, deadly (with creatures like the cavern weights and goblins roaming about) and had an enemy that could appear out of nowhere.

I do have to agree with Casper the key though he wasn't half as annoying as some of the later characters like Snapper Jack (about as threatening as a puppet) and I personally didn't like Lizzard (although the makeup was good)

Brining back a Dual Lord Fear / Morgdred character is a good idea, as you could even write in situations where one evil scheme would foil another evil scheme if the dugeoneer did things right :)
===

Justice - keeping Chaos at bay with a double-edged pointy thing
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

ORDER! ORDER!

Just trying to keep things in tact for later series discussions....  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I do have to agree with Casper the key though he wasn't half as annoying as some of the later characters like Snapper Jack (about as threatening as a puppet) and I personally didn't like Lizzard (although the makeup was good)
Yay, I'm glad someone agrees with me about the Key. I won't comment on the other two for now. :)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Review of Series 2

Post by HarveyTowers »

Having just seen Series 2 for the first time and in its entirity, I must say that it is an improvement on Series 1.

The series was the right length and I don't think that it was overly difficult - being able to guide the dungeoneer, answering all the riddles and following the given instructions would have got you through.

Also in this series, we begin to see the character interaction which we associate with the later series of Knightmare. Although only Olaf of the "ordinary dungeon dwellers" survived to the next series, some funny and strong characters were seen in S2.

Mildread is well played and as the mischevious old crone she is seen boh helping and hinderiing dungeoneers as well as the broomstick scene - one of my favourite Knightmare moments.

The hidden gem of this series (and perhaps of Knightmare in general) is most certainly Bumptious the Miner and I'm surprised that he wasn't developed and used in the next series. Although underused, he appeared testing teams and giving some comic relief.

Cedric is also a good character now he appears not only to test the teams but also to interact, accept payment etc.

The Merlin/Mogdred relationship was better explored this season also. OK, so Modgred appeared laughing, wanting dungeoneers to follow him and his magic could be dis-spelled but he was an evil baddie. Had he been used fully in "final encounters", he could have become a much bigger, badder, scarier enemy.

So, have I converted? Would I say that I was a bigger fan of the early series than the later ones? Well, sorry, but no. Mainly because the later series are the Knightmare I remember from when I was little. But , as I have said, I am pleased to see the beginnings of Knightmare contained the start of the character interactions and puzzles I remember so well.

Here endth the lesson.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Re:Review of Series 2

Post by FrightKnight »

I agree particularly on the Bumptious bit. He was a fantastic character, and I wish he was in s3 too. On the other hand, by then the scenarios would have run out. The last one with him was a classic, though.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:Review of Series 2

Post by Willowherb »

The main problems with series 2 are that Folly and Gretel are so darned annoying (well, I certainly find them so) and Mogdread doesn't have half the character of the fully-developed Lord Fear that we see in series 7 and 8. Mogdread's evil laugh is also overused - it's effective in small doses, but 5 minutes of it gets to be grating.
Having said all that, series 2 is my personal favourite; it keeps up a good pace, and there really isn't any room for mistakes. For example, if Lillith wants an ice pack for a terrible hang- sorry, 'headache', then she'd better have an ice pack, or else! There were probably one or two slightly unfair deaths, but then there were also two proper winners. So there you go.
What are other people's favourite series 2 moments?
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

I really loved Series 2! A lot of my favourite things are other people's pet hates though !

There's so much to remember but the people / things that immediately come to mind are:

- Mogdred. I thought that he was a great baddie and loved his "Stay a while! Stay forever!" comment.

- Cedric - an unusually aggressive character for a kids' show but my little boy finds him funny so he can't be too scary!

- Love the concept of the mechanical warrior (although he does scare my son!) I love the way that he can travel through several rooms.

- Dare I say that I like Gretel and Caspar the Key? My favourite of all though is Folly - and I really like the subplot of the dungeoneer having to find Folly's laugh.

- I enjoyed Combat Chess as it was an interesting idea (albeit a little slow occasionally).

- Seeing the first (and second!) winners.

- I thought that the best death was the team that were doomed to go around in circles forever because they didn't have the divining rod. That was quite a scary concept!

The things that I didn't like were:

- Merlin. The sections with him rambling just went on a bit too long for me.

- Back to front day - which confused me.

- Julian's team not being tested as much as they ought to have been in order to be proved worthy winners.

- The series end. I know that this has been discussed on other threads - but it's always annoyed me when a team that is doing quite well doesn't get a chance to see their adventure through. I think if I'd have been a contestant I would have felt more cheated by having my adventure cut short than if I hadn't got on the show at all!

All in all though - a cracking series! :D
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

It's sad that Folly is now gone forever, best jester the show had.
And, some love for Mildred too, pity she wasn't in series 3 but then we had Grimwold who was even better.

I disliked both winner, pretty much giving a free pass and not being challenged. I also didn't like Bumptious, the scenes with him seemed to go on forever and his questions were darft and pointless, thank god he never returned. Another thing I dislike was the inconsistency of the show. Some teams had to so easy while others died for a minor mistake.

Other highlights were a team getting frozen by Medusa, and the team that couldn't spell ;) Anytime Modgred was on screen, Merlin was less irritating than series 1 (he was over used in the first) and I quite liked the additional wall monster to mid things up.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

I was reading through the replies on Series 2 (and that's where they left us last week) and have to agree that the Folly and Gretel characters got highly irritating after a while. Casper the Key was just as annoying, and unnecessary. My favourite characters would be The Automatum, Troll, and Cedric the Monk.

One thing I never could stand, was the chess game with the Bishop (combat strategy). What was the point of that ? Simply took up far too much time and was completely unnecessary. As was the card game when you had to stand on the right card to open an exit.

Got to ask, last thing I saw, was the team faced with the Walls of Jericho from last week, and then the programme ended. As the team did not have a horn with them, would they have got no further ? If they had put in on tonight, I would of had a chance to see what occured. >:(

I have to give a mention to Olaf. He was a great character (lootings, pillagings or worms) and how easily he could be bribed, such as with the famous invisible gem trick. If he wasn't to be featured again after this, the show would of been poorer for it. Lillith was a poor character also. Mary Miller's Mildread was a far better creation.
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

Evelyn Mason wrote: Got to ask, last thing I saw, was the team faced with the Walls of Jericho from last week, and then the programme ended. As the team did not have a horn with them, would they have got no further ? If they had put in on tonight, I would of had a chance to see what occured. >:(
Hi Evelyn, the team encountering the Walls of Jericho was the end of the series. As the team had not had a chance to obtain a horn, it looks like the production team thought that the Walls made a suitable ending to the series, rather than really being part of their dungeon adventure. Had this team been on earlier in the series, I don't think that they would have encountered the Walls of Jericho at that point.
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Evelyn Mason wrote: Got to ask, last thing I saw, was the team faced with the Walls of Jericho from last week, and then the programme ended. As the team did not have a horn with them, would they have got no further ? If they had put in on tonight, I would of had a chance to see what occured. >:( .
There is no next episode, that's how the second series ended.
Challenge have only bought the rights to show the first two series.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

Knightmare dave's top 5 would be:
1. team 3 getting into level 3 and medusa killing them.
2.ooh nasty episode 7 what a laugh
3. Mogdred kills Tony and Co.
4. Ariadnie appears a lot and kills.
5. Olaf provides much amusement!
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

Malefact wrote:I have to say that series 2 is perhaps my favourite.

I like the huge variety of deaths! You can say what you like about series 3, but series 2 was much better at deaths. Martin's team in s3 was ended with a disappointing anti-climax compared to team 3 in s2.

If a new series of Km is made, then I'd like it to have Lord Fear AND a Mogdred-style baddie as well. It's all very well to have Lord Fear plotting nasty things to do, but the unpredicatability of a baddie who could crop up ANYWHERE is a really good way of building up tension!
I agree with this one and also the death gong was rather weak and fable with the lack of skull for this death
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Series 2 was brilliant. It took the basic formula of series 1, which was very good, and made a few minor alterations/additions. Also, there were twice as many episodes, so far more adventuring.
One of the finest details was the extra imagination put into the demise of some teams. Mogdred gloating at team 5 in a dead-end room, or team 8 trapped in a never-ending cycle.

Good to see some familiar faces return including Cedric, Gumboil, Folly and of course Merlin.
Lillith still provided a genuine threat to teams in level 1.
We finally got to see Mogdred. >:-] What a first appearance, really giving team 3 the hurry-up.
Mildread was a great addition as was Olaf. Igneous was a good addition to the wall monsters.
The speech from the wall monsters had been streamlined somewhat, removing some of the tedious repetition.

Just a few things i didn't enjoy. Bumptious and Casper were both extremely annoying and the intro speech to each new team was still too long-winded.

My favourite moments:
Team 3 being turned to stone by the medusa. 8-o
Teams 4 & 10 mastering the dungeon. Yay! :)
Teams 6 & 11 incurring Lillith's wrath, with inevitable consequences. >:-]
Team 8 trapped in an endless cycle....
Team 7 and their difficulties with magic. ;D
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D