Series 2 - Episode 16

Illusion
Knight
Knight

Series 2 - Episode 16

Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30pm on 8th July 2004.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 - Episode 16

Post by HarveyTowers »

Ah, some Scots lassies...

They met Gretel first and started to talk about Mildread's beauty tips (!?) before the team suggested she should wash her hair in lemon juice and soak her nails in salt water, telling her to go and boil her head would be more appropriate!

Some today isn't back to front day - so to speak. Treguard seemed to be affected and told the team their was "no danger" and that there was a "friendly" creature coming -turned out to be Ariadne.

Team didn't listen to instuctions -
Treguard: "Call out I command you!"
Advisor: "Don't"
But by now thy knew the object of their quest. What's next
Treguard: "Beware the mindless mechanical warrior"
Advisor: "Shake hauns wi' it"

Possibly another Knightmare first, first broomstick flight?

Then into the wellroom: Why did the chicken cross the well room? The warrior again
"Cast a spell or sum-hing?" "Ah see a bit of foot"
Oh, the banter, the banter!

Level 2 and nearly exploded Bumptious,"You've been playing with his plunger"
Riddles were quite easy (TNT, dynamite and black powder)

Had to us the FLIGHT spell to get over the cravass (that's a tie, isn't it?)

End of season and the second one to end in the Jericho 6 room. This was the first team to return to the anti-chamber as the dungeon crumbled.

Shame really, this was a good ep and given time this team would have won I think. Oh, well! End of Series 2...
Good night out there; whatever you are!
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

i feel sorry for this team. they really would have won and they were a really good team. i liked when the dungeoneer said "well cast a spell or something!".

Although i was puzzled as to how they would get past jericho 6 without the horn. maybe casper would have done summit. ah well that team will always remain as a winning team in my mind. but why on earth was jericho 6 in level 2?
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Final ep of Series 2 today, and some very good things this episode!

Firstly, Gretel was getting some 'beauty' treatments, which sounded like traditional stuff ;). The team gave Gretel some old traditional beauty remedies too!

Then, tt was back-to-front day, meaning from when they leave the kitchen, to when they know the object of the quest, everything is reversed.
Basically all that changed was Treguard's comments about each room. Still just as dangerous though!

Granitas told them the object of their quest before asking the riddles. That meant that back-to-front day was over from that point on. Scored 3/3, but the advisers still thought it was reversed, so didn't call out 'I Command You' to get the bonus! Note that Treguard commented that 'you know the object of your quest now', but they still didn't call out I Command You!
Granitas told them which item not to take (the red stone), so they were probably still in winning status.

Treguard called the mechanical guard the 'Automatum' instead of the 'Mindless Mechanical Warrior'

I quite liked Mildread as a 'Learner' broomstick flyer, complete with L plate! The team had to recite some kind of spell to get her down! Gained a RUST spell from her.

Notice when the Automatum guarded the wellway, they just tried to get past him at first! Karen said "Can't we spell him or something?!" and they realised they had to use the RUST spell. Automatum got rusted and fell over - I thought they'd use some digital effect to make him go brown, but no.

Going down the wellway, fell on the dynamite detanator and exploded Bumptious! Look carefully and the dungeoneer has her hands out on the plunger - probably told to press the plunger by the production team!
Scored 2/3 on Bumptious's riddles and gained a spell, FLIGHT. I would have got the question about gunpowder right (grey or black, but PINK?!)

The Mills of Doom were haunted by a Cavern Wraith (ghost), but it didn't attack or do anything to them. Used the FLIGHT spell to get across a broken bridge.

I laughed out loud as the dungeoneer tripped and almost fell down the steps in the clue room! Almost didn't even pick up Casper here!

But then, the season comes to an end at Jericho 6. There didn't seem to be any way of getting past the wall with their current items (was a room cut out?). Not that it mattered anyway, since the season came to an end in this room. One of the advisers said it was all flashing colours, so it obviously appeared like that on the advisers screen - then Treguard announced the end of the phase.

I liked the various rooms of the dungeon gradually going dark. FYI, that video effect is called 'Posterising'. (had experience of a digital effects unit that could do that) Or it could have been the rooms were simply made darker, with a reduction in colour depth.

Might as well say here, my post was a bit late! This was due to me having to sort out the VCR in my computer room - it kept on snapping tapes :( Had to watch my recording of the episode later on.

Also, since we no longer dare use that VCR in the computer room, I won't be able to make any more captures. Shame really, I'd have liked to capture the end of Season 2 with all the colours flashing.
Last edited by Tom41 on 08 Jul 2004, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Johnro
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Johnro »

The scottish accents and banter amused me, mind you I was laughing at the Scottish woman in Rail Cops too! :D

I really think this team would have lost had they been on earlier in the series...Treguard was demanding them to call out I Command You and the wall monster even stayed on screen for a good 5 seconds afterwards but they still did nothing!

It seemed to be a dead end in the Jericho 6 room, so they probably only used the room since it was pretty easy to 'create' (since they had used the room before) and it would stop the dungeoneer from trying to head for the exit!

Nice use of the bells in the ending sequence ;)
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

This team somehow managed to survive to the end of the series despite making some crucial slip ups- one of which being that they didn't call out 'I Command You' due to them still thinking it was back to front day. Treguard called the Automatum the Automatum today for the first and last time, instead of simply the 'mechanical warrior'. I guess he heard it from Gretel. An explosive start to level 2 (geddit?), and Bumptious' rather easy riddles were all about explosives and such. Don't know why on earth they thought the colour of gunpowder was 'Gun', and when they were given another chance, no idea why they said pink! Still, they got a spell from it. Useless trivia: This was the year in which pound notes ceased being legal tender, so having Gretel mention them is probably a coincidence! A bit of odd goings on at the end- they suddenly jump from the level 2 clue room into the Level 3 Jericho room. I imagine this wasn't originally in Tim Child's script, but was added in before filming as a room to neatly end the series. Treguard missed a brilliant opportunity to rhyme his last rhyme, he could have said 'When fortune wheel spins, the Knightmare begins' instead of 'returns'. Oh well, Challenge have now shown all 112 KM episodes- and now it's back to the beginning again with Series 3!
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

BillyH wrote: Useless trivia: This was the year in which pound notes ceased being legal tender, so having Gretel mention them is probably a coincidence!
Well the girls wouldn't have known that, since we still have pound notes in Scotland. However, we have stopped using the groat . . .
Good night out there; whatever you are!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

A first occured with wall monster telling team their quest before giving questions, obviously so the team didn't think their questions were backwards.

In level 2 they immediately caused a blast "you've been playing with his plunger" (make your own jokes) Bumptious wasn't happy. Another appearance of a sheet of material ghost. Only 2 clue objects in level two so fairly obvious which to take, even though they were useless. What happened to the clue objects when she returned to the anti-chamber?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

A silly end to the series i thought but i still think they would have won. so they didnt say i command you. Its easy to know which ones to take from just getting 2 right because the wall monster usually says "the ...... will not help you". but i thought they should have done what they did in series 1 where they let the team go as far as they could just not shown most of it. ah well maybe they were a bit too far back to skip rooms out btu i still feel sorry for the team
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

It's funny, but I always felt that they should have filmed a team to its conclusion and then somehow edited their quest or previous "poor" quests down a bit to make it all fit nicely into the 16 episodes. Guess that would have been a lot of trouble to organise back then, but it would have meant no one ever got cut short. Or conversely, added extra rooms a la Akash and chums!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

"You've been playing with his plunger!" :o Good Grief!
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

That line was such a beauty it got into this list...

http://havetstorm.tripod.com/knightmare/id19.html
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

*Sniger* Classic! I'll try to think of more... ;D Thank god no team realised what they were saying... well... most!
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Ye gods! What am I doing back here after such a massive hiatus?

Trrrrrrrrrruth (© Igneous) is, I've been watching every episode of series two back-to-back and thought I'd take a quick look here to see if there was anything mentioned about Gretel's infamous nudge-nudge line. (Not to mention what might have been going on between her and Folly off-camera...) And the first thing I thought of was...
HStorm wrote: That line was such a beauty it got into this list...
http://havetstorm.tripod.com/knightmare/id19.html
I was going to suggest making that list, and strike me down with a feather from the world's tiniest bird if it hasn't already been done. I'm sure in the course of the series I heard a modicum of suggestive dialogue that the average 12-year-old might have missed... it helps to be a lot older. Now, looking down the list...

...number seventeen? Ye gods. That should have been miles higher! Right up there with Motley's filthy gem at number five.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

When I watched this episode last month, it was for the first time since original transmission, 19 years earlier. Doing so felt quite special, as some of my earliest KM memories had come from it.

I like the way that Gretel and Bumptious nip off for a cup of tea - and are never seen again. Very Crossroads. ;)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.