Series 2 - Episode 16

TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 2 - Episode 16

Post by TimeMaster »

Canadanne wrote:And one final appearance in the Challenge + 1 top ten for the week!

1 WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE CELEBRITY? (SAT 1559) 50,000
2 WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE CELEBRITY? (FRI 2202) 42,000
3 TNA IMPACT (SUN 2200) 38,000
4 FUN HOUSE (FRI 2301) 28,000
5 TOTAL WIPEOUT UK (MON 1800) 25,000
6 WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE CELEBRITY? (WED 2201) 22,000
7 KNIGHTMARE (FRI 2330) 21,000
8 BULLSEYE (SUN 2100) 21,000
9 FAMILY FORTUNES (THU 2000) 20,000
10 BULLSEYE (SUN 2131) 18,000
7,000 people watched Fun House but then turned off when Knightmare came on!!! ??? There's no accounting for taste . . . :D

Seriously though, that is an encouraging viewing figure for Knightmare. Let's hope that Challenge stick to their word that they would buy more series if it attracted good viewing figures.
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Despite watching the mine scene several times before, I've only just noticed the hilarious way Gretel keeps shoving Bumptious back onto the floor every time he starts to sit up! The second time there's an audible thump as his head hits the ground. ;D
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

Canadanne wrote:Despite watching the mine scene several times before, I've only just noticed the hilarious way Gretel keeps shoving Bumptious back onto the floor every time he starts to sit up! The second time there's an audible thump as his head hits the ground. ;D
Oooh! Nasty! ;D
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

I do so adore Gretel! She's so cute, although the nose thing is a bit... oh dear.

Also, fun fact: This was the first I caught of Challenge's re-runs.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

This was the episode I watched this morning and can remember it being shown a year or two ago, the ending hit home straight away, but more of that in a moment.

Just wanted to say felt sorry for the team that began the episode (three boys) as they were quite intelligent and answered riddles well, only to miss an easy response to Merlin's "what does an elephant never forget". Such a shame as they needed a correct response to get past the next room but fell short because of a simple error.

Also the room with thr chess piece, WHY ? >:(

For as long as I've watched I have never understood the point of this. It takes up valuable playing time and is one of the most boring, mundane challenges the show could offer. I think it was only featured on the first or second series, but every time it appears, you feel compelled to leave the room and make a cup of tea or something.

It was nice to see Ariadne (forgive the spelling) featured again and thought for a moment the dungeoneer was truly stuck when the three webs appeared but they managed to get past it. Another spider was featured on the same episode along a ledge - is this the same arachnid of one of Ariadne's cousins ?

Last and perhaps most importantly, thought the way they finished the series was a but unfair. They had just introduced the three girls from Scotland and were early in the quest when all of the sudden the series came to a close and Treguard had to bring the dungeoneer back to the safety of the 'team room'.

Wouldn't it have been easier to wait until the team either perished or even achieved their goal of reaching their quest before ending the series - or even doing so after the previous boys team had come to an end - before suddenly ending the series like that (what were the Walls of Jericho doing on Level One ?)

Thing is I haven't seen beyond Series 1 or 2 for such a long time and can't remember if those Scots girls featured again on the next series but it seemed to me when watching as if they had made a long journey to the Anglia studios for nothing.

Anyway, it would be appreciated if Challenge could show the next series sometime instead of going over the same early episodes again and again, but thought there was room for improvement on todays viewing.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

EvelynMason wrote:Also the room with thr chess piece, WHY ? >:(

For as long as I've watched I have never understood the point of this. It takes up valuable playing time and is one of the most boring, mundane challenges the show could offer. I think it was only featured on the first or second series, but every time it appears, you feel compelled to leave the room and make a cup of tea or something.
Couldn't agree with you more. The most pointless room and at times, frustrating to watch.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

The end of a brilliant series, but not an episode i particularly liked. Immediately there is a sense of anti-climax when Treguard announces that this is the final stage of this phase. Team 13 are only just starting, so they clearly do not have time to complete their quest. The episode effectively becomes a filler as they will either die or be cut-off mid-quest. I will comment on the end-of-series issue elsewhere....

It's a real shame :( as this team were both very competent and very entertaining. With time for a full quest, they would have been genuine challengers.

I thought the back-to-front section was rather silly, but did laugh when they didn't realise it had finished. 3/3 against Granitas, but when Treguard told them to call out, "I command you!" the advisor shouted out, "Don't!" ;D
Fortunately they had enough info to take the correct items anyway.

Bizarre description of the mechanical warrior: a guard with a fishing rod with a hard ball on the end. ;D That would be called a morning star.
The well room scene was hilarious. "Help, there's a guard here....cast a spell on him or or somethin!" ;D Then when they moved her round the incapacitated guard, "I see a bit of foooot." ;D

:question: Did they seriously answer that gunpowder is pink? ::)
Karen nearly took a tumble on the level 2 clue room stairs, not just once, but twice. I thought dungeon health&safety rules insisted on dungeoneers using the hand rail. ;)

They had just left the clue room when time ran out on them. grrrrr >:(
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Morghanna wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 20:21 Bizarre description of the mechanical warrior: a guard with a fishing rod with a hard ball on the end. ;D That would be called a morning star.
That's more a description of the actor playing him, rather than the character himself! :green:

There was a discussion about the Automatum's weapon a while ago. I don't think it's a morning star - because a morning star has spikes - this may be a flail: a similar thing, but a more blunt instrument.

I always thought the Automatum's weapon - we never see him without it - was part of the machinery itself, rather than something being carried by a separate entity. As he is a construct, that was my assumption!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Haha ;D yes Knightmare had more than it's fair share of saucy puns which escaped the CITV sensors.... (Somebody has already mentioned the one about bumptious' plunger later in this episode.)
Pooka wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 12:07 That's more a description of the actor playing him, rather than the character himself! :green:
There was a discussion about the Automatum's weapon a while ago. I don't think it's a morning star - because a morning star has spikes - this may be a flail: a similar thing, but a more blunt instrument.
I always thought the Automatum's weapon - we never see him without it - was part of the machinery itself, rather than something being carried by a separate entity. As he is a construct, that was my assumption!
I hadn't heard of a flail before. You learn something new everyday. Thanks. :)
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D