Series 2 - Episode 15

Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 - Episode 15

Post by Tom41 »

I liked this episode. Mildread was impressed with the talisman of invisibility! In my opinion, the team should have died in the Bomb Room since they took the wrong door after Mildread gave them the clue. They thought that since "The right door has a bomb on the other side", the left door (opposite to the right door) would have the bomb behind!

A locked wellway, eh? That's a Knightmare first ;)
Just managed to get through with the key before the Automatum caught them!

Classic moment, falling right on top of Cedric when they came down the wellway! Cedric wasn't too pleased, but they scored 3/3 on his riddles!
Look closely at the Wellway top shot, and you'll see a small slide at the bottom which the dungeoneer slid down inside the wellway. Not sure if this was intentionally meant to be seen on TV...

Whistling in Ariadne's lair? I wouldn't have thought a spider would respond to whistling!

Used the AVAUNT spell they earned from Cedric to kill the ghost in the clue room. Nice animation for killing the ghost - perhaps another AniGIF is in order...

The annoying Casper Key was in the clue room again. Took him, as well as a bar of gold. Gumboil was drunk on the bridge again, but seemed to have a better sense of self than the last time he was drunk! Casper called Gumboil some name that I couldn't make out (did Challenge dub over it?), and Gumboil thought the insult had come from the dungeoneer! Had to bribe him with the gold to get through.

Called Merlin by pressing an M symbol on the floor. Liked the banter between Casper and Merlin in this scene! Didn't get magic from Merlin because they got an easy riddle wrong. I would have got it straight away, an elephant NEVER forgets!
From then on, the team was in losing status.

I think the dungeoneer got spiked by the second spears in the Corridor of Spears, but were let off, probably because they had a death scene lined up for them later ;) Played well at Combat Chess though, but died in the next room since they didn't have Merlin's magic!

Shouldn't have had the candle in shot when they did the Enter Stranger routine. You can see two flames on the candle during the fade. In addition, the camera position changes slightly during the fade.

Oh dear! A temporal disruption while the Wheel of Fate was spinning!
Last edited by Tom41 on 07 Jul 2004, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

This team were OK, but made a few silly mistakes. It was ridiculous of them to take the right hand door in Mildread's lair, and I still think they were let off in the bomb room, as the fuse goes back a bit before they exit. The Dungeoneer was good getting all 3 of Cedric's riddles with no Advisor help, though! As for Casper's retort to Gumboil, it was something about being a 'dolt', and has been since original transmission. Aside from adding ad-breaks, I believe the only editing done by Challenge was 17 seconds from the end of Series 6 Episode 14. The between-room animation was very speeded up between here and the Clue Room! Shame they didn't get Merlin's Elephant riddle, even Casper knew that one-how on earth could an elephant forget it's MEMORY?! They were doomed from here on, and died from what could really be described as a Life Force drain, although it was really because of a mis-answered riddle.
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

An unfair death I felt. Although an easy question, Merlin usually asks teams 2 questions and 1 out of 2 is usually ok to get magic, so I think Merlin should have asked another question for the team to have a chance.

Also they were an excellent team, and I felt they could have gone all the way but cruely killed them off.

Also what a cock up though with Mildred. The hint was clear to take the left door but they take the right door, however as said, they thought it was a trick and it would be the opposite door, but to be fair, I would have taken the Left door.

Good Episode though, shame about the Death, Its the last episode of Series 2 tomorrow so I'm guessing from Friday 9th July, We start with Series 3 and then in sequence we will go Series 4,5,6,7 and 8. And then I'm guessing they may show them all in a loop again when all shown.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

The dungeoneer answered all the questions correctly on there own!

When Cedric told them that they had to whistle to her I thought that they would meet Lilith or someone but infact it was Ariadne - perhaps i should have been whistle to it.

Used the spell on the Cavern wraith before collecting Casper and onto a rather drunk Gumboil on the bridge.

The death was probably unfair as the dungeoneer was good at riddles up until now, it was really his team that let him down. Easy riddle all the same
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

wasn't really an unfair death... they took the wrong door and got the question wrong. plus they took to long in the well room and starved! ;D
i think it's the only life force drain that was true.. it's not like they didn't have an exit or anything stopping them from going further.. no food, no magic... death

Mind you i don't see what they were only giving on question.. i guess because they took the wrong path.. BUT Mildred can't be trusted as with seen before.. and the team weren't all that bad i guess.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Cedric must be annoyed.

First a dungeoneer 'falls' onto him, and then they get all three riddles correct.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Mephistopheles wrote: they took to long in the well room and starved! i think it's the only life force drain that was true.. it's not like they didn't have an exit or anything stopping them from going further.. no food, no magic... death
No, it's still a lock-in really. I know it's another one that's made to look like it's slightly different, but it's really no different to the death of team 1 in season 1.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Golgarach
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Golgarach »

When you talk about the unfairness of this teams death. It reminds me of Julie (series 3)'s death. They got 1 out of 2 and didn't earn magic. As a result she was easy pickings for the goblins. It is certainly in my opinion an unfair way to die.
Listen puny flesh! Nothing may you take with the earning. Nothing may you know without the learning.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

Did the advisors actually know they could give the dungeoneer the answer? The elephant one was surely far too easy for all FOUR of them to not get it.
4 line sigs yada yada yada
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

But the advisors DID actually help with the elephant riddle, it was Cedric's riddles the dungeoneer answered on his own. It was a real shame and seemed slightly set up to kill them from early on. I mean, they took Casper and the gold and then because Casper insulted Gumboil, they had to use the gold. Casper then said he knew the answer to Merlin's riddle (I wonder if he'd have told them if they'd asked?) which sadly they got wrong, then Merlin made them leave Casper behind! What use was he? Given how well they'd done up until then, it seemed harsh for 1 riddle to be asked and that lead to total failure in a silly way. I'd have much rather seen Mogdred crush them or something - they at least deserved that!
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Series 2, Team 12: died how, exactly?

Post by Aldarion »

Re: the Ariadne scene

I remember thinking at the time (1988) - when he was told to whistle or sing, what would have happened if he'd taunted Ariadne by whistling "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly..." (you'll recall, she then swallowed a spider).
Would the animators have had a hissy fit and decided to kill him off?
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 15

Post by Canadanne »

"My name's Merlin, by the way. Always has been, except once, when I..."
Casper interrupts: "That was when it was Hoo--"
Merlin hastily cuts him off: "That was another adventure!"

I'm sure there's a juicy story in there somewhere... I just can't imagine what it is.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

The AVAUNT spell is great, not only because the effect is awesome, but also because it shows what the horns on the helmet are for - spellcasting! (The horns project the two beams of light which zap the cavernwraith.)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Bit unfair this death, Merlin only gave them one question.
Getting three with Cedric didn't do anything other than having a 'password' added which wouldn't have been there otherwise, gold would have been enough. Think they were hard done by and should have been allowed into level 3.

Why on earth did they not listen to Mildread? Should have died in the bomb room really. (unless they were let off )

Wasn't his Casper's first appearance in series 2? he didn't even unlock a door for them, in fact his purpose was to upset the guard so they needed to bribe him, would have been better getting two questions right and skip the password nonsense. lol

I also don't think it was the dungeon whistling.

Some interesting fire power from those horns.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I did think the death was a bit harsh but they should have got Merlin's question right. Yes normally Merlin has more than 1 question to ask so Steven and his team didn't have no chance after that.

Again getting 3 out of 3 with Cedric didn't give the team an extra advantage. They could have got 2 out of 3 and still get the same help.

Casper was a waste of time in this quest. I guess the producers wanted to do an entertaining scene with him instead of using him just to open a door.

The Avaunt spell was cool! Loved the way the beams came from the horns of the helmet. I thought that was a very clever effect. Shame we only saw that once, I don't think that effect was used again.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.