Series 2 - Episode 15

Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 2 - Episode 15

Post by Dan »

To quote from the site:

"Their Life Force started fading after a while and could only be restored by magic. Reached the wellway to level 3, and then died as the light to the chamber began to fade."

Whenever I read this it seems very spooky, the nearest a team has come to death due to running out of life force (rather than making an earlier mistake, such as the team who didn't take the divining rod...)

Can anyone describe or provide video evidence of what actually happened, as I'm sure it's not quite as mysterious as I'm reading it to be ;-)
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2, Team 12: died how, exactly?

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

It was quite strange, but as far as I can remember, it was due to an earlier mistake. They didn't answer Merlin's riddle correctly, and so it's more than likely the magic they needed should have come from him. He was quite fond of restorative spells. I guess he'd have given them VIM, ENERGY, or something similar if they'd been successful. Usually such spells were absolutely necessary, not just an added bonus to use if you took too long and wasted life force. Visually, it's pretty much as the description on this site says.

At least, that's what my memory tells me. It may be mistaken, in which case so am I.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

My favourite restoration spell is ERG. Don't ask me why.
Subject to change.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Quite right, if the team had answered Merlin's riddle correctly, he would have given them a spell that would have restored their Life Force.

I thought the team were cheated however for two reasons:
1.) They only got the one riddle whereas previous dungeoneers in Merlin's room got at least two or three.
2.) It turned out to be a trick question: What does an elephant forget? Of course:
AN ELEPHANT NEVER FORGETS!
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Hi there.

This was on the first episode of Knightmare I watched and thankfully recorded.  Yeah, Steven's team get the hard question from Merlin wrong.  Their last item of food was from the level 2 clue room.  For sure Merlin would have given them some form of 'Energy' spell if they had got the question right.  After Merlin they negotiate the hall of spears and then the combat chess room.  In the chess room, a graphic shows their life force status running down as amber stopping just before reaching red.

The next room was the wellway to level 3 with a quest item in the other corner of the room.  The screen starts fading and the red life force skull appears (when the bottom jaw comes off).  Treguard says 'Light Source fading, quick team you need Merlin's magic here.'  The team quickly yell at Steven to walk forwards but the room goes completely dark, the life force skull goes full screen in the death sequence and Treguard continues 'But then again; you haven't any!'.

Maybe their quest ended because of them running out of lifeforce with no food or magic and that caused the room to fade as though they were losing consciousness?  Don't know really; what does anyone else think? (this is my first post so hope I haven't missed any points  ;)).

Cu
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

I love you guys.  But only for your information. ;-)

Thanks!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Maybe the lights went out to stop them reaching the wellway, since it was decided that without any spells they'd stop there.
Subject to change.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Maybe.  I think though that without knowing what Merlin's spell was and a complete absence of information from Treguard after the light faded other than how good they are at disappearing (referring to earlier in the quest), we will never know for sure the official reason for the quest ending.

However another thought came to me.  Wasn't there a few teams in the earlier series who had to shine a candle in a dark room to light it up and if they weren't able to do that they perished on the spot?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

That's possible - the spell could have been FLARE or something. Mind you, they'd still have needed food at the wellway and there wasn't any there.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

It's possible Merlin would have given out two spells. An ENERGY type spell, and FLARE or something similar. However, my guess would be that the darkening of the room was added for effect, and it was just ENERGY, VIM or such that they'd have got from him.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

sounds to me it just added to the effect of the teams death due to lack of food.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

It could have been the other way around. The spell might have been a FLARE or similar spell (as Treguard said "Light source fading"). And as they didn't have it, the creators decided to have the Life Force run out then. It wouldn't have been the first time the LF was slightly modified. Maybe they'd have put food on the well, but as the team didn't have the spell they didn't bother, as they were going to fail here anyway.

Or maybe not.
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Actually it could have been a combination of the two.  They must have had to use Merlin's spell in that room, let's say it was FLARE.

The lifeforce was running consistently because it was amber/red in the previous room.  Perhaps they had to use the FLARE spell to light the room up and then there would have been some food at the bottom of the wellway.  The lifeforce in this instance would not have run out in the well room but would have been critical when they descended.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

That sounds the most likely to me, Whiteknight. The life force graphic is added after the programme is completed, isn't it? In that case it might just have been modified to give them a bit more time if they weren't certain to die anyway.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Series 2 - Episode 15

Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30pm on 7th July 2004.
You're on the edge of a ledge...