Series 2 - Episode 11

pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 11

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I do believe the free spell was to release Gretel. Couldn't imagine what else it would have been used for.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well they had the option of using it to Free themselves from the spider web.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yeah but Treguard was probably told by the producers to use that line to add drama. When the team used the spell, it freed Gretel which I think was the correct procedure. Otherwise if Treguard was right in saying to the team about using it for themselves, it would have got rid one of the other 2 webs in the room.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Before casting the spell the team had already picked what they were going to use it for. I'm not sure if they were meant to use it in that room for themselves or save it for later. Feeing the maid seems the most logical thing to do.

Either way the team would have died I think, not only was it a boring death but I really harsh one too. Did they make any major mistakes? They did get 3/3 riddles correct from Cedric and had no extra bonus from him either, and the level 2 clue room was an odd one as well.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yes it was really harsh. Still say the Automatum came in at the wrong angle. Yes the team didn't even command Cedric. Don't know why that was. Treguard didn't even mention to the team to command him.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

How pleasing to see old posts in this topic wishing for Ariadne to come back if Knightmare were to return. :)
Annie wrote:They didn't get much of a reward for a supposedly perfect score - Cedric merely accompanied them into the next room, and I can't imagine his presence was vital to get past the toadodile in the corridor. Anyway, a score of 2 would probably have been enough to earn his services (assuming a score of 1 would simply allow them to take the food), so shouldn't they get something extra for 3? What happened to "I command you"?
My understanding was that a 1/3 score with Cedric would mean grub and losing status, a 2/3 score would mean grub and essential help for later (e.g. a spell), a 3/3 score would mean grub, essential help for later and non-essential bonus assistance from Cedric (i.e. tagging along for a room or two). For 3/3, Jamie's team only got the non-essential help. Or are we meant to believe that if they'd got less than 3/3, Cedric would have stayed behind and they'd have been killed by the toadodile? What exactly would a lower score have earned them?

The 'Gift Spell' caption was one of Knightmare's most bizarre one-offs. And how odd that within minutes we went from hearing "Beware the talisman" to "Your quest is for the Talisman".
Tom41 wrote:In Ariadne's lair (not 'layer'!), they used the FREE spell to free the maid. Notice how the spellcaster started to cast it again when they thought it hadn't worked.
One of several peculiar aspects of this team's Level 2.

It's highly unusual for a team to perish with two clue objects still in their possession. I think Akash and Jamie were the only ones in the whole of Knightmare, but I would gladly stand corrected.
Billy wrote:Could this have been the forced death due to a team member getting homesick?
If so, why not skip the Level 2 clue room? I'm inclined to think that the team were in losing status after the Level 1 bomb room farce, and were allowed to get into Level 2 to avoid script wastage (Treguard went to great lengths to guarantee their success in Level 1), but that's wild speculation.

The MEDAL spell itself is strange. I can't imagine how it would have worked. It's all so peculiar.

The weirdness concluded with the four dismissed team members fading away on the spot rather than walking away. A literal case of no turning back.

Having not heard from Gretel since Episode 6(?), in this episode Audrey Jenkinson has three scenes, almost consecutively. Although the character of Gretel is annoying, it's intentional, and I find the portrayal more amusing than I used to. It's a sad irony that Audrey, who had a hellish personal life in the 1980s and 1990s, came to doubt her own prettiness so much that she resorted to rhinoplasty.

I can't tell you how much I adore the way Treguard says, "Where's the fire, team?" A new addition to my list of favourite moments. And as pointed out by Tom41, the question is answered in the next room.

To echo what Harvey Towers has said, it's both impressive and refreshing to see a dungoneer getting not just one correct answer on his own but all three: no help needed from the advisors, no troll-sized "Think, team" clues from Treguard.
elcondor

Post by elcondor »

Literally registered just to post this, as I wanted to put my two pennorth across.

I think the Gift Spell caption came up because the voice effect was so strong, they wanted to make sure everyone knew what the spell word actually was.

As for the death being unfair or not - Jamie seemed to do the head tilting trick rather a lot in Level 1, would the producers penalise a team in game for 'cheating' like that
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

elcondor wrote:Literally registered just to post this, as I wanted to put my two pennorth across.

I think the Gift Spell caption came up because the voice effect was so strong, they wanted to make sure everyone knew what the spell word actually was.

As for the death being unfair or not - Jamie seemed to do the head tilting trick rather a lot in Level 1, would the producers penalise a team in game for 'cheating' like that
Hey! Welcome to the forum!

You made some good points there. Yes I agree with what you said about the gift spell. I guess it was to make sure the team got it as the voice effect wasn't crystal clear.

I never noticed Jamie tilting his head so not sure. But at the same Jamie got a perfect score against Cedric yet didn't get to command him. Was this fair? Plus the fact that the Automatum came in at a bad angle. Again, I didn't think this was fair.

However, it's a good theory! Anyway hope you enjoy the forum!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I don't think head tilting would help.
You can't see anything except blue :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Automatum may have came in at a bad angle but it wouldn't have been too hard to him to fix the error, by walking slower or turning a different direction, but he almost ran in the and we straight for that piece of the medal spell, I think it was deliberate.

But if they wanted to kill the team off for whatever reason they could have done it in a less complicated way lol

And and I hear the Free spell spelt twice? Was it the dungenner doing it the second time? maybe he thought he had to repeat.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:Automatum may have came in at a bad angle but it wouldn't have been too hard to him to fix the error, by walking slower or turning a different direction, but he almost ran in the and we straight for that piece of the medal spell, I think it was deliberate.

But if they wanted to kill the team off for whatever reason they could have done it in a less complicated way lol

And and I hear the Free spell spelt twice? Was it the dungenner doing it the second time? maybe he thought he had to repeat.
I think it was because there was a delay in between the spell being cast and for it to erase the web Gretel was stuck in.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Yeah maybe, i thought the dungenner thought he had to repeat it.
Another odd quest. The Dungeon is certainly playing a few tricks.
rmcintosh1983
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by rmcintosh1983 »

I think Jamie's team were very good. They seemed to come into their own in Level 2, especially with regards to riddle answering, and the automaton mix-up seems like something that many 'Level 3' teams from various series would have also fallen victim to.

The lack of reward for 3 correct riddles was very unfair. The legendary Mark Wickson, for example, didn't have to answer any riddles from Cedric at all. Surely this was enough to earn a MEDAL spell?!

In an ideal world, a new series of Knightmare would be aimed at adults and would invite back all of the teams who suffered deaths widely thought of as unfair by the Knightmare community. Jamie, Cliff, Leo, Helen (Series 4)... it's time to right a few wrongs!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

rmcintosh1983 wrote:The lack of reward for 3 correct riddles was very unfair. The legendary Mark Wickson, for example, didn't have to answer any riddles from Cedric at all. Surely this was enough to earn a MEDAL spell?!
Yeah whilst Mark got help from Cedric just for being his friend, Jamie had no real extra help. That is a tad bit wrong I think!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Nah for get the losers, I want all the winners back to see if they've still got what it takes. :)

Did I read that a member of this team was homesick and wanted to leave?