Series 2 - Episode 9

Illusion
Knight
Knight

Series 2 - Episode 9

Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30 on 29th June 2004.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 - Episode 9

Post by Tom41 »

Again, when they came back from Time Out, you could hear the 'Merlin appear' sound effect. I would have got the question about Theseus right. Merlin didn't give them magic because they got one riddle wrong, but he did give them some information (going left when faced with a monster).

I could also have answered the dwarf's questions right. I know they like Gold, and also that females don't have beards - obviously! How could the team get THAT wrong? I laughed out loud when I heard that ;)

However, they got 'killed' in the room with Cedric. They tried to give him the Stalagtite password, and also Spade, but none of those worked. Then tried spellcasting SPADE twice, but the spell Bumptious gave them was SHOVEL! No wonder it didn't work ;)
What actually killed them? Was it just the life force running out, or Cedric clobbering the dungeoneer? The life Force animation covers the dungeoneer as Cedric commenced his staff-clobbering, so we can't see if he was actually hitting the dungeoneer or not.

I think it was the team's own fault that they died. They would still have been in winning status, but trying to cast the wrong spell made them perish. The SHOVEL spell would probably have knocked Cedric out, rather like the ANVIL.

Next team spun up the Combat Chess room on the Wheel of Fate straight away! I wonder what would happen if they spun up the Bomb Room - the fuse was already lit!
Took their time getting across the chessboard!

Series 5-8 logo used for the ad break again! No sound this time though.

Finally, after the Cave of Fire, they reached the clue room with Igneous of Legend. Notice how Treguard said "Listen carefully, team..." as if he was going to tell the team something, but it was cut out!

The scorpion didn't start moving until a couple of seconds after they entered the room. Used the 'right wall' technique to get past the sting ;)

In Lillith's room, a Knightmare first - using a lever (the same lever as in the Wheel of Fate room) to summon the causeway! The causeway actually appeared when he had his hand on the lever, but before he pulled it! Lillith ran into the room straight afterwards and blamed Treguard for the lever ;D
Timed out here. Why were the credits 'zoomed out' a little bit with a red background? Reminds me of the windowboxing process they use on old cartoons to ensure none of the credits are lost on overscan.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

Shovel, spade, dig that mistake.

Possible Knightmare first:
The first we have seen Lilith standing and walking?
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Yup, I knew that Minotaur question too, although I would have probably guessed Diamonds for the first of Bumptious' riddles too, probably because that's what the Seven Dwarfs were mining for! Was ridiculously silly of Advisor Mark to spellcast SPADE, but then again, there was probably a gap of several hours between the time they exited Bumptious' mine and when they confronted Cedric, so I'm not surprised. Shame we'll probably never know what on earth that 'Stalactite' word was for, though! And good to see Lillith actually walking at the end!
(By the way, it's the 6-8 logo that appeared at the end, not 5-8! ;))
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

What a Puzzling Death Scene, I cant believe a team could get the naming of the Spell so wrong, Were they definatly watching the same quest or another one.

Also watch that scene again, and when the advisor accidently spellcasts Spade, One of the Advisors is heard saying something like " Its Shovel,SpellCast Shovel" So what does the idiot do again, He spellcasts Spade, He then gets the Dungioneer to yell out Spade which I thought was funny.

Also should they have even got a Shovel Spell for answering just one question at the mine scene????I would have thought they would have needed 2 out of 3 questions for magic. Also I'm thinking because they didnt get magic off Merlin, then the other questions on the Mine Scene was a backup to get the Magic Back?????

Good Episode, but this new team seem to take ages on the Combat Chess, and they were very sneaky on the Scorpian Scene by keeping to the far right which made me laugh, Now I know why they decided to create a hole to the right of the Scorpian in Series 3 which forced teams to run through and time it right.
Last edited by Porsmond on 29 Jun 2004, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The 'Stalagtite' situation is a bit of mystery to me. I don't think it was ever used. I wonder what it was for.

I think the death in this episode highlights a use of the Life Force Clock - the ability to censor a death that might otherwise be too graphic (and to stop us from realising that Cedric didn't actually clobber the Dungeoneer :)).
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Malefact wrote: The 'Stalagtite' situation is a bit of mystery to me. I don't think it was ever used. I wonder what it was for.

I think the death in this episode highlights a use of the Life Force Clock - the ability to censor a death that might otherwise be too graphic (and to stop us from realising that Cedric didn't actually clobber the Dungeoneer :)).
That has always confused me to be honest. I cannot think of what it could be for...Possibly a passwod for Gumboil? Or maybe because they did not have exactly the right item for Mildread, they were killed?

It is odd that in S2 we have them try to block out Cedric clobbering, yet in S8 we see what is supposed to be blood splattering across the screen.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Johnro
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Johnro »

Oh no!

I got this episode on tape and didn't get chance to watch it 'live' today, and I've just tried to watch it and I realized I forgot to turn up the volume on the cable box to the max! (Trust me, it makes a difference!)

I can hardly hear a thing even at full volume on my TV :(
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Ooo, nasty. :(

I know what you mean - a couple of my own recordings suffer a bit because the NTL box wasn't turned up to full. Still, crystal-clear digibox picture quality is good to have. :)
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

They are, it is odd looking at these clear pictures after years of having the old wobbly tapes.

You get to see so much more details, such as the faint 'web' effect in Ariadnes lair, even though it was never exactly SUPPOSED to be a spider web, I'll pretend it is one with my imgination! :)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

Wish I could get my video recorder to record from sky,

Anyway back to the episode. I enjoyed tonight's Knightmare. I now know just how good series 1 and 2 are. There was much more of a challenge, and always new bits added and rooms being slightly changed to keep interest up
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

odd death... not often they allow a team to be killed off IF the team have the Means to pass, (spells, items)
but they got many questions wrong overall.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Embarrasing incident... I would have been clobbering myself if that happened to me...

Cedric: Then perish...

Me: No thanks, I'll do that myself! ;D

(BTW, I like those green stars belonging to Malefact and Kieran... Good show lads! ;))
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

An absolute classic! I think the producers had given up on them totally! Poor Cedric has to ad-lib for minutes rather than just cobber them, but Treguard, after his resounding "Letter O" grunting last episode, has clearly abandoned the boys to their fate. And quite rightly too!
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

Just rewatched the whole episode:
I definitely think the Powers That Be were trying to help these boys and they just resisted every form of assistance! Strange that they moved straight from a riddle room with a magic reward to another one and *still* failed to actually earn it!
Last edited by dontyoulikemypie on 21 Sep 2005, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.