Series 2 - Episode 6

Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Re:Series 2 - Episode 6

Post by Canadanne »

Tom41 wrote:"Dread-mog who causes all disruption"
So is Mogdred just known as "Mog" to his friends, a bit like Merlin / Bert? :P

As they exit the laser room and express their relief at surviving it, you can hear some guy shout in the background - it sounds like "Help!"
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 2 - Episode 6

Post by wombstar »

I liked this team, they had a challenging level 1 and handled it quite well, but their death was certainly justified, I was shouting at the tv 'take the glove' But how would a glove beat that beastie? normally a teams sneaks past it for use a spell.

The mechanical worrier was a bit odd... making a random first appearance.

IF they has gotten all three riddles correct I wonder of they would have been giving the Down spell instead.. (best not discuss what they went down I think)
And they didn't use that bar of silver.

And challenge needs to suspend whoever was a fault with the voice over!!! if I make mistakes at work I get punished for it or pay taking away...that was shocking,
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Ha yes that was a schoolboy error!

Wasn't the best of episodes but I loved the death! If I was a kid watching it when it was first on it would have scared me a bit! The background music that was played when Mogdread said 'Pray forever' was freaky and complemented the death very well. The team were ok but did deserve to fail as they missed the obvious clue of 'accept the challenge' from the oracle.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

If two correct answers earned the team enough information to make successful clue object choices, what more would three correct answers have got them? And is it so hard to write a Level 1 for every team, not just some, where two clue objects are needed? The team could have taken the fish instead of the silver and still got through. In fact, they could have used the fish to upset the monster's stomach.

Other than that, what an episode. I found so much to enjoy here. One of Treguard's best Dungeon ditties; Combat Chess (and at the risk of sounding odd, I really like the walls in that room); the bizarre tableau of a boy trying to stuff a whole roast chicken from a laid table into his bag while a lion's face shoots lasers around him; Mildread snapping at Gretel; a dungeoneer becoming living excrement; the Spirit Level concept; the promise of a scene where Bumptious lets a dungeoneer use the mining tunnel (even if it never materialised); the debut of the ethereal, cryptic oracle, another fine idea imported from Greek mythology; the Mills of Doom. I like seeing catacombites too, but not the idea that a dungeoneer can escape one by simply power-walking past it. As for how the quest ended, I went from feeling chilled by Mogdred to laughing out loud at Treguard's response. The ability to deliver this kind of contrast is what makes Knightmare a superior show.

Could Tony be the most active dungeoneer ever? Stepping, running, jumping, lying down (I seem to recall a song about bridges and laying down), weightlifting, Helmet of Justice lifting. Lucky he had so much food.

The Challenge continuity announcements are irksome at the best of times (celebrity voiceovers excepted), but even when the announcement played over Treguard last night, I forgave on the understanding that Challenge wouldn't dare commit the same crime again on this morning's repeat. Indeed, they acknowledged their mistake. But then they did it once more. I was extremely dismayed. A low point in what has been an amazing week for Knightmare.

And I can't post about this episode without mentioning my fanfic The Cure for Disruption, which is set just after this quest.
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Canadanne wrote:
Tom41 wrote:"Dread-mog who causes all disruption"
So is Mogdred just known as "Mog" to his friends, a bit like Merlin / Bert? :P

As they exit the laser room and express their relief at surviving it, you can hear some guy shout in the background - it sounds like "Help!"
Treguard: He's morgred to many, but i like to call him bob.
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Possibly helped by the Geek Week publicity, this episode made the weekly Top 10 for Challenge+1:

1 8 OUT OF 10 CATS (SAT 2450) 48,000
2 CATCHPHRASE (THU 2130) 45,000
3 TNA IMPACT (SUN 2201) 44,000
4 FUN HOUSE (FRI 2259) 39,000
5 KNIGHTMARE (FRI 2329) 35,000
6 NINJA WARRIOR SERIES 1 2 3 (RELICENCE) (SUN 1030) 32,000
7 CLASSIC WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE S1 (FRI 2200) 30,000
8 8 OUT OF 10 CATS (SAT 2359) 29,000
9 SUPERMARKET SWEEP (MON 1230) 29,000
10 CATCHPHRASE (TUE 2100) 25,000
rmcintosh1983
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by rmcintosh1983 »

Mogdred is genuinely terrifying when he gloats over Tony's demise. As is the music. No chance would the kids of today be exposed to such dark material! (Their loss)
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

After seeing the first ever winners in the previous episode, this was always likely to be "after the lord mayor's show".
Being from Kent myself, i was eager for the Men of Kent in team 5 to do well. They did ok in level 1, altho Granitas was very helpful for only 2/3 answers.
Really laughed at them seeing part of the crown symbol and thinking the bridge was on fire. ;D
In the clue room they failed to sift the oracle's words properly and missed a vital clue: "Accept the challenge!" So they left the gauntlet behind. :(
They were fooled by the comment that, "soap heals, but not the spirit." They misconstrued this to mean they needed the soap. Had it said, "soap will not cleanse the spirit," they might have caught on....
Their quest was steady, if low-key, but at least the ending was memorable. Trapped in a dead-end room, with Mogdred gloating at them. >:-]
:question:Was it unique for a quest ending to coincide with the end of an episode, in mid-series?
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Morghanna wrote: 28 May 2020, 20:26 :question:Was it unique for a quest ending to coincide with the end of an episode, in mid-series?
It does happen once more during Knightmare's run, in Series 6. I won't say any more than this as I don't want to give away too many spoilers. ;)

Really enjoying your episode summaries, no doubt they will continue for some time.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

James, thanks for the info. :)
Hoping to get thru at least series 1-4 while i have time.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
asrl07
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by asrl07 »

HStorm wrote: 26 Jun 2004, 21:52 Combat chess is very tense stuff, but if you think about it it's more or less inevitable that the dungeoneer will succeed. It's impossible for a player to make checkmate with only a king and a bishop, so how can a player with only a bishop capture a piece that has the knight's move?
It is possible for the dungeoneer to fail if they are not careful. If the dungeoneer is located against the left hand wall, and the bishop is able to move to the right of the dungeoneer with a two square separation, the dungeoneer will be trapped and be forced to move into the direct line of sight of the bishop, where they will be captured (killed). The dungeoneer should not be moved to the edge of the board unless it is absolutely necessary or it is clear the bishop cannot move to the trap square.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

asrl07 wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 21:24 It is possible for the dungeoneer to fail if they are not careful. If the dungeoneer is located against the left hand wall, and the bishop is able to move to the right of the dungeoneer with a two square separation, the dungeoneer will be trapped and be forced to move into the direct line of sight of the bishop, where they will be captured (killed). The dungeoneer should not be moved to the edge of the board unless it is absolutely necessary or it is clear the bishop cannot move to the trap square.
This is true, but the team would have to be pretty awful at chess to get in such a situation in the first place.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.