Series 2 - Episode 6

JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 2 - Episode 6

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

What did they do wrong? What was the 'challenge that you were told to accept but you declined it'?
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2, team 5

Post by JamesA »

Treguard stated that to accept the challenge, they needed to run the gauntlet. So they needed to take the gauntlet (or glove) and use it against the Catacombite to paralyse/destroy it and use either of the doors it was guarding.

Another good example of a team needing suchlike is Series 3 Team 8 (Douglas' quest). The team again needed to take the gauntlet from the Clue Room, but because they did so poorly against Brangwen they weren't given sufficient clues to indicate that they should indeed take it. Hence why they died in the Bomb room as the gauntlet would have covered and put out the fuse.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

the bomb romm only was used because they did so   poorly or made a mistake.. if they got all the questions right or something i doubt the bomb room would be used hence the glove not needed. ( or not in that way)

Bomb rooms are only used when the team makes a mistake/ or the wrong path.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Bomb rooms are only used when the team makes a mistake/ or the wrong path.
Not always: In series 1, team 1, they went through 2 bomb rooms in a row as part of the main 'route'. Yes, they were in 'losing' status because they missed the magic lamp, but I think that they would have got these bomb rooms anyway. In series 1, team 4, it was probably speeded up and was designed solely to kill the dungeoneer after they went left. Also, series 1 team 2 went through a bomb rom immediately after the first room and before the clue room.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Yeah but season 1 was still being perfected and still in the works.. u can't really count the pilots as such.. so much changed since the season 1 and season 2
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Oh now I dont think we can realy call S1 and S2 pilots they are just S1 and S2, different to others.  Also in some KM fans minds S2 is more perfected than later series.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Each successive series was a step forward from the previous one. Granted, series 1 was a huge step into the unknown because a lot of new things were being tried - they more or less wrote the book on how to do mixed reality. Series 2 was able to build on what had been done before.
Subject to change.
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

[quote]Each successive series was a step forward from the previous one.

In technology terms I'd say yes to that, in other ways I'd say no though.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Series 2 - Episode 6

Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30pm on 24th June.
Last edited by Anonymous on 20 Jun 2004, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 - Episode 6

Post by Tom41 »

Many firsts today!

Granitas effectively told the team which two objects to take. The fish was off, and they'd already used the apple as food, so it was pretty obvious which objects they should take!

This team made the dungeoneer sidestep all the way to the right to avoid the scorpion's sting. In a later series that wouldn't have been possible; they added some holes on the right side of the room.

Team chose the door with the Knight symbol rather than the Cards symbol, and instead of going to the card puzzle room, we got the very first appearance of Combat Chess! Excellently played, particularly as most young people these days have little knowledge of chess ;)

The Beam Room was used again, oddly this time it had a table with a whole chicken on it - which they took to restore life force. Then had to navigate past the holes in the floor, and I think they definitely stepped off the edge a couple of times!

First time we see the maid and Mildread together! Conjured up a Well using the ground Bats Wings, but it was a trick - they got into the stomach! Had to use the DOWN spell (which they had only just obtained) to get out! Looks like they didn't even need the Silver from the clue room...

Interesting method of summoning Merlin by opening a bottle! Merlin got cut off just as he was about to tell them something important ;)

First appearance of the Oracle of Confusion. Looked different to the one I remember, and there was no 'ethereal' music.
"Dread-mog who causes all disruption" Mogdred? Now I know what the Oracle is saying, I can read its lips after he replaces the helmet ;)

I liked how they thought the Crown piece was a fire on the bridge! First appearence of the scary Mechanical Warrior!

They didn't take the gauntlet, even though the Oracle told them to accept the challenge, so couldn't get past the Catacombite! Then again, the soap could have been useful "Soap will cleanse but not the spirit".
They died in the next room where all doors had portcullises. "Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens! Play a while, play FOREVER!" *laugh*
Oddly, Time Out occurred while there was no quest in progress. That means the next episode will begin with Treguard doing the Enter Stranger routine.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

One of my favourite deaths EVER occured in this episode- it's the music, the life force and John Woodnutt's magnificent Mogdred maugh, erm, laugh, that does it to me. Elsewhere it was also good to see the debut of Combat Chess (I admit I've never played it, hence I didn't know the Knight's move until I saw it) and scenes in which two characters interact, in this case Mildred and Gretel.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

This episode scared me s***less when I first saw it in 1988. :)

I very much like the ominous Level Two that this team had to deal with - the fact that it had been deserted because Mogdred had taken up residence.

Merlin's hint of "look for me in rails; discover me in rocks" implies that if Tony had subdued the Catacombite (possibly by throwing down the gauntlet) he'd have been able to take a different door and meet Bumptious, blast open the rockface and arrive in Merlin's room.

A great episode, imo. :)
Subject to change.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

ooh a death from life force running out.
Mogdred enjoyed that.

team overall were terrible, couldn't direct, didn't what on earth they were doing,
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Hmm, I think that's a little bit harsh - they're nowhere near as awful as some teams that we may encounter very soon indeed. :)
Subject to change.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Mephistopheles wrote: ooh a death from life force running out.
Mogdred enjoyed that.
In fact I don't think any team has ever died from their life force simply 'running out' as such. What happened here was the team was already in losing status (having not taken the gauntlet), and entered a room from which there was no escape. That effectively 'killed' them, in any case they would have to wait until life force ran out - there is no turning back. Mogdred seemed to enjoy the team's predicament!

http://tomsonic.dyndns.org:90/temp/km/mogdred.mp3 Highish-quality MP3 of the Mogdred death scene, with that scary music!
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!