Series 2 - Episode 5

Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 5

Post by Canadanne »

Tom41 wrote:Met Mogdred in a slightly modified version of the room they first entered in Level 3 ;).
Advisor: "Mark, you're in a room - the same..." (They hastily fade Mogdred in before he can finish this sentence, haha!)

Treguard complains that the stained glass window is "wasted here in the dungeon depth, where daylight cannot reach". Then in episode 13 he complains about "all the light from the stained glass window" confusing things for them! You're never satisfied are you Treguard?!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Well. :) An easy ride or not, there's something genuinely uplifting and oddly poignant about the moment they win. Treguard (and indeed Hugo) is clearly loving it and the team really do seem overjoyed, their smiles and relief incredibly infectious as HEROES is spellcast.

But then let's look at Level 3 - to win the quest they had to walk past some dodgy-looking cavernwights, tell a Gargoyle that he's awesome, say "No" to the massive scary face in the wall (probably the hardest thing of the whole level), cast a spell, cast another spell, and, erm...cast another spell from the F, R, E and E they'd picked up. With their almost complete lack of riddles or majorly difficult room puzzles, not too controversial to say that it was the easiest quest we've seen to date? They get away with it at least by being enormously watchable, their debate about what to say to Mogdred was genuinely quite compelling as was their near-argument when trying to get out of the dragon room :p From their first few rooms I can imagine Tim and co thinking that these guys are great and giving them an easy ride.

Especially as they blatantly stepped right off the edge of the stained glass room! No good cutting to the Magic Mirror as it happened, they were clearly let off there. Not saying they were guaranteed victory - even in that final room had they directed Mark to the "E" and forgot to tell him to stop they'd have had to have died, but things seemed certainly made pretty simple for them where certain other teams would have perished. Particularly when you look at the difficulty of Series 3 (maybe in response to this series?) I can imagine some losing teams finding it slightly unfair.

Well done all the same to them and their personalities at least made them a worthy winning team. It was all worth it to hear the cheap synth out-of-tune version of the KM theme that plays as they receive the Silver Spurs!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Billy wrote:Well. :) An easy ride or not, there's something genuinely uplifting and oddly poignant about the moment they win.
Part of what makes it so cool is Treguard's prophetic words, "Others will no doubt follow, but that glory will always be yours". They couldn't have known how many series the show would have, or that any other teams would successfully complete their quests. And they couldn't have known that people on Twitter and Facebook would be calling Mark Wickson a legend 25 years later. :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Yeah an undeserved win, I really don't like it.
They were just giving a win.. (related to one of the crew maybe?)
Too many clues by Treguard as well, (stain glass window, dragon)
And Mogdread was wasted, they said 'no' and he just goes away and sulks? lol at lest he was more hands on in series 3 and 4.

I don't think they did step off the edge, I think many teams would have been let off.

Also no level 3 clue room.

Plus their win seems very brief, I like later wins when they make a bit more of a deal out of it, the team looked a bit fed up to be honest. 'ugh, that's it' when the maid was freed.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I think they just about stay on the path but they were lucky Mark went right when they told him to side step left!

What's really funny is after he inadvertently goes the right way they say 'no, to your left!'
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Arguments over who keeps the silver coin.. >:D
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

HobGoblin wrote:I think they just about stay on the path but they were lucky Mark went right when they told him to side step left!

What's really funny is after he inadvertently goes the right way they say 'no, to your left!'
Yes! That was just pure luck there! Mark could have been famous as Simon! ;D
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
fluttermoth
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by fluttermoth »

wombstar wrote:Arguments over who keeps the silver coin.. >:D
If you look carefully at the team at the end, it does look like they're holding one each.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I noticed they all had scrolls.
Kinda like when they gave the winning team one fright knight,
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

fluttermoth wrote:
wombstar wrote:Arguments over who keeps the silver coin.. >:D
If you look carefully at the team at the end, it does look like they're holding one each.
It looks like there's a space on the disc to engrave the contestant's name, so I would guess they got one each - they certainly did in Series 4.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I hope so anyway.
I noticed one the team members was posting on twitter during this episode, maybe it would be worth having a word with him about his experience.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

If you mean Mark Wickson, he has already been interviewed for the website in the past.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I dunno who it was, possibly.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I saw Matthew saying that they died on the last step and were allowed to do it again, which I didn't know before.
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

8-o