Series 2 - Episode 5

Illusion
Knight
Knight

Series 2 - Episode 5

Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30pm on 23rd June.
Last edited by Anonymous on 20 Jun 2004, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 - Episode 5

Post by Tom41 »

Finally, a winning team! But I'll get into that later ;)

Treguard didn't mention the Castle of Confusion in his opening speech.

The team used a FREEZER spell on the catacombite, but I'm sure they actually touched the frozen monster when getting the letter! I'm also surprised the catacombite didn't gradually start moving, like when they GRIPped the Medusa in a later series.

Classic moment: "Where am I?" (screen is blank) "You tell us!"
Magic candle here used to illuminate the room. When they took it from the clue room it wasn't lit, but it seemed to light itself when it was held up!
I liked how the team tried to investigate a rock on the floor before going for the wellway ;)

Another blue gargoyle here, but this time without a pipe in its mouth. Again, they had to flatter the gargoyle - but after it turned red, it turned blue again and they had to keep flattering! When the door appeared, they had to exit the room quickly as he was turning blue again!

The Energy Sprigs (glowing tree things) appear for the first time in this episode. Walking into them restores life force. Notice how the first one disappears for good when they touch it, but the second one regrows after being used!

Met Mogdred in a slightly modified version of the room they first entered in Level 3 ;). Took ages trying to decide whether they'd like to serve Mogdred! Skeletons didn't jump up this time.

Interesting feature, the dungeon (adviser's screen) appearing in the corner of the screen while the main camera was on the advisers!

BIG mistake after the ad break!
They came back to the episode AFTER he'd used the SUN spell and was sidestepping. Then the tape immediately rewound to when they entered the room, and even then the timing was slightly off!

Knice scary chords used for the Owen the Dragon scene. Looked more like a crocodile to me, as the team said ;). The smoke was a nice touch as well - but it took them a long time to figure out they had to walk along his nose!

Collected the last letter in the guillotine room then went on to become the first winners of the series! Notice when they spellcast FREE the Life Force animation stops!

The team triumphant, are transported from the dungeon almost cheering! And unusually, they meet Treguard outside the dungeon, and he gives the team the Silver Spurs 1988 trophy. I liked the rainbow at the top, and the fanfare theme music

Next team's quest hardly got started before timing out in front of Olgarth! Notice at the Wheel of Fate room, the wheel kept spinning as the picture flew off after pulling the lever!
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

One of my favourite KM episodes! Notice that the to-and-from room animation has been slightly tweaked starting with this episode- the picture goes down, up, stops, and zooms out, rather than going down, up, and zooming out as in earlier episodes. Agreed about the 'You tell us!' moment, that was great (and stolen by Neil in one of his fanfics, but that's another story!). I noticed that the images of Treguard appearing in the Level 3 rooms were out of focus, for some reason. Oh, and I love the sound effect used for the sprites of energies! They could have done a better job with the shadowing in the gargoyle room, though, instead of just that big black blob, but hey, it was 1988! And it's good to see the first ever winning team-people who watched this episode on the 3/10/88 on CITV may remember presenter interviewing dungeoneer Mark Wickson on the phone as the final continuity link of the day- an audio clip is on the website.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

A seminal episode today, imo, as we saw the team become the first ever to actually win! They kept up their very quick pace and raced through. The ending when Life Force was running out was particularly good, imo, and is something I still really enjoy.

Slight point of interest: the 'pull-back' that happens when a Dungeoneer leaves a room has been modified slightly now, so that it hangs a bit before disappearing altogether.
Subject to change.
Johnro
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Johnro »

I noticed they were let off 2/3 times in the final few rooms...They step into one of the holes in the Stained Glass room twice!

Didn't get away with that in Series 3 ;)
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

well they didn't have much of the challenge in level 3,
Mogdred just let them win! bah.. yet he was all over that last team..

Also.. during the progress report.. while Treguard is talking about what the quest was they show a Mogdred clip of the last team (doing his puppet speech) so if he took the maid why wasn't he prepared to stop them?
odd.

I don't like Own, He was far more friendly in the 3rd season.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

i really liked this episode. i think they just stayed on in the stained glass room and they nearly fell off in the guillotine room aswell. Although i was a bit confused as to why they didn't get asked many riddles in their quest. some teams got riddles from wall monster, cedric and merlin but this team didnt get all of them
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
DazzaS
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DazzaS »

I missed this episode so will catch it in bout 5 hors but i still rememebr it from its first three showings. i see what you mean bout this team gettin a slightly easier ride, but up till now Mogdread was not too much of a threat to teasm he only started getting at teams after this i think. but if the team did not made friends with cedric they would surely have perished with gumboil. still a good episode and one to remember
Ooh, nasty!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Looking at Mogdred's behaviour overall, I think he gave everyone an easier ride than it seemed. He was 90% threatening noises,.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Johnro wrote: I noticed they were let off 2/3 times in the final few rooms...They step into one of the holes in the Stained Glass room twice!

Didn't get away with that in Series 3 ;)
Leo stepped into a very big hole didn't he, and a huge thud as he hit the bottom ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
DazzaS
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DazzaS »

looking overall at seris one it was more making noises and puttting fear in the dungeoneer. seris three to me seemed the scariest yet not much action from the bad guys. i think it was seris 4 onwards where the bad guys was more active.
btw any idea how i can get a knightmare board game, mine has pieces missing!
Ooh, nasty!
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

Anyone else notice that if the dungeoneer hadn't got his left and right mixed up, they would have stepped straight into the hole in the stained-glass room?
4 line sigs yada yada yada
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Very true. Mark's team did have luck on their side in level 3, no doubt about it.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

Thought that the ending to the quest was a little flat (now appearance by a wizard as Hordriss and Merlin did in the later series) Nor did we see Gretel released - but at least we didn't have to listen to her. Roll on Melisandra!
Good night out there; whatever you are!
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

True, Gretel was rather annoying. Mind you, Mellisandre was a bit smug for my liking too! They never got the right balance with their maids!