Series 2 - Episode 4

wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 2 - Episode 4

Post by wombstar »

I was gonna say the same thing.
It's clear to me they really needed/wanted a winning team and this feels as if the team has been giving a free ride really, feel sorry for the other teams that had to really work hard and failed due to one wrong question.

Level 2 has been easier than level 1.
Positives the team are really into it and likable.. I think they would have done well giving a 'real quest' than the scripted win we're seeing here.

Nice variation to some of the rooms, Merlin's room making it's first appearance this series and used as a clue room, and I liked folly's card puzzle.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Also, just realised - this was the first episode of Knightmare shown in my lifetime, having been born the previous Saturday. Hurrah :D
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I've always thought it a little suspect that the first winning quest was to free the maid; it's just a little too neat narrative-wise...

That said, you can only beat the team in front of you and, easy quest or not, this lot are very good. I particularly admire their adherence to the adventurers code, even going for the right hand door in the bomb room (though there is a hint of portcullis on that door - difficult to tell from the angle).

I have to agree that their biggest risk of failure comes v early on in the level one clue room. Did those three early truths seal their fate as first ever winners?

Don't have many memories of this episode - it might have suffered in my subconscious by being sandwiched between two absolute classics.
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Team 1: died on Level 1. Team 2: died on Level 2. Team 3: died on Level 3. Team 4... to continue the sequence, they'd have to complete the third level. I can't blame anyone for being cynical. In particular, the simplicity of the Level 1 riddles caught my attention (even if by Series 6, alchemy had apparently gone from too easy for Level 1 to too obscure for Level 3).

But as with Dickon's adventure in Series 4, the quest is so entertaining and the team so competent and deserving that I don't mind. And this quest was the first Knightmare I ever saw, so watching it on television for the first time since original transmission is something special.

Lillith may not have been saying, "The bells! The bells!" My theory is that in her dream she was reliving her ruthless encounter with Maeve and co a year earlier, and was in fact saying, "The belles! The belles!"

Cedric's assistance to Mark is recreated in the first Knightmare gamebook. I liked Mark's pluralisation of "Where am I?"

This episode featured a dungeoneer picking up a candle, later discovered to be self-lighting, for the first time. He could not have had a more apt surname.

It was a red jewel and a candle that Mark took from the clue table. Does that mean he was a fan of Ruby Wax?
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Rewatching yesterday, great episode, loved the scene when Mark & Cedric enter another room & he says where are we ;D, cedric should've said something in that bit.

Mark : Where are we?
Cedric: We're in a room ( treguard almost laughs ) it has 2 doors & tin man...oh wait that's gumboil but he looks a bit like a tin man.
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Drassil wrote:I liked Mark's pluralisation of "Where am I?"
Oh, I've never noticed that - nice touch!
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 4 made a solid start and looked very competent. 3/3 against Igneous, who was as grouchy as ever. After that they progressed smoothly, altho no riddles from Cedric. Amusing to see Cedric lose his bravado when he encountered Ariadne. ;D
I don't agree with some who say that this quest was a walkover, but even so their clue object choice in level 2 was a no-brainer: ruby, candle & crossbow....::) They could hardly go wrong there.
Interesting that they took the less-obvious exit from Merlin's study.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

An interesting comment from Cedric when he and Mark encounter Ariadne:

"You may not be able to go back but I can."

A rare example of a character acknowledging the rules of dungeoneering. Another that comes to mind is Gundrada in Series 4 recognising the Helmet of Justice as Helen's "constraint". It makes sense for a companion character, as Cedric and Gundrada both were, to appreciate questing rules.