Series 2 - Episode 4

Illusion
Knight
Knight

Series 2 - Episode 4

Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30pm on 22nd June.
Last edited by Anonymous on 20 Jun 2004, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 - Episode 4

Post by Tom41 »

Yep, another knice episode from Series 2 today!

Treguard said "Intruder Alert, level one!" when the viewers joined him. Perhaps this is where Lord Fear got this line from?

Folly was turning around a lot in the first room. I'm surprised he didn't get dizzy =P
Interesting first (and only?) use of the card puzzle, where Folly made them play Chase the Lady. Nice animation for the cards flying in - and I liked the 3-suited card on the floor! They stepped on the heart to open the Queen of Hearts door.

So, the Knave of Hearts stole the TOADS, eh? They told the maid her mistake, but then took a while deciding whether the door descriptions would be switched around as well. Finally picked the right door.

Level 1 clue room, Igneous of Legend appeared again. They scored 3/3! Igneous might as well have said "Take the bell and the gold" for the I Command You clue, it was so obvious which one to leave ;)

They used the bell to wake the sleeping Lillith in the causeway room. Notice how the bell doesn't make a sound when he picks it up in the clue room, nor when he walks between the two rooms. I guess the bell was missing its clapper (a dumb-bell!), and the sound effect was added on by the production team.
Unusually, Lillith (after being woken from her sleep) allowed the team to pass without any form of payment. However, they had used the bell now, so it became useless.

Flattering and befriending Cedric in Level 2 was a classic moment! Likewise, when Cedric followed the dungeoneer and got into a fight with Gumboil! Looks like Cedric is scared of giant spiders though ;)

Merlin thought the dungeoneer was a burglar, and almost cast an anti-burglar spell on him! Instead of asking riddles, he gave the beginnings of two common sayings, and the dungeoneer had to finish them.
I think this was the only team to exit from the door on the right, behind Merlin - rather than through the door in the middle.

Timed out today as Olaf was looting them on the bridge.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
DragonRider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DragonRider »

Mark the dungeoneer seems very polite and sensible, answering riddles correctly with little help from the advisors, while calling Lillith, "M'lady."
He's also polite enough not to yell at his team when they keep telling him to side-step but not telling him in what direction he should side-step to!
Still, a team that answers all of a wall monsters riddles correctly shows great promise!
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Looking at the Ariadne scene, there is either a small web across where she walks, or a simple break in the picture. Either way, I have never noticed this before, myself, and apologies if it has been brought up before. It does look like some sort of horizontal web, however.

As for the episode itself, it is ncie to see more interaction between new character, today Gumboil and Cedric decided to have a quick battle.

The team is doing extremely well, but they could do with improving their direction a little, I feel, as several times they gave the Dungeoneer the wrong instructions.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

I loved the battle with Cedric and Gumboil, with Gumboil rising his sword with a battle cry only for Cedric to poke him in the stomach and bash him on the head with his staff. A classic example of Brain against Braun!
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

not bad but that had a easy ride in level one,
But overall the team are doing very well..

Um what happened to the maid? someones been doing some kidnapping, kinda knew what there quest was going to be due to Folly's puzzle,

and they got the bomb room anyway... took so long yet the fuse didn't blow!
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Kieran wrote: Looking at the Ariadne scene, there is either a small web across where she walks, or a simple break in the picture.
That looks like a thin piece of clear plastic (or is it blue?) that they make the tarantula walk across. The two pictures are then combined into the final scene.

You'd think the plastic would be stretched tight, but there does appear to be some sagging in it under the spider's weight.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Gumboil: "Ow I wasn't ready"
*clonk*

A good episode today, I'm sure in the bomb room the door on the right had a portcullis on it.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

A knice, well-paced episode, imo. :)

I think this team may have been given a little bit of an easy ride, though, since they didn't have to answer any riddles from Cedric. Still, I think they're acquitting themselves well - in Level One they kept their cool in the Bomb Room, making sure Mark took the right door.

I believe the card game is used again in this series. Maybe in the early stages of development, it was intended as another option for the first room (based on the series 1 routine).
Subject to change.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Stranger still... If you look carefully as they make their exit from the bomb room. They walk through the right hand door which is blocked off with a portcullis!

When Gumboil hit the floor. The graphics behind him looked as though there was blood pouring from his head!

Great episode nonetheless ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 4

Post by Canadanne »

Igneous: "To proceed, you'll need to wake the dead - or you'll BE dead."

Just a figure of speech, or is he implying that Lillith is some kind of zombie?!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Dead, as in, "dead to the world", as in asleep.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Canadanne wrote:Igneous: "To proceed, you'll need to wake the dead - or you'll BE dead."

Just a figure of speech, or is he implying that Lillith is some kind of zombie?!
He's making a snide reference to her career. He'd learned that she was facing the axe (walls have ears). Of course the clue tables were turned when she killed two further dungeoneers and went out in a blaze of gory, while Igneous got the TRUTH spell treatment and departed in shame. As for the other S2 wall monsters, they extended their careers by shifting-and-blending into a single entity, having a few chips and tucks around the eyes, and selling "Grolganitarth" to an impressed Merlin who didn't quite hear the name properly.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

What a bizarre episode and what an easy quest so far. No riddles after Igneous, no major room challenges and sending the lovely message to kids that you can get past anyone by either bribing or lying to them. Lillith and Merlin at least finished the ep with their dignity intact although even then they seemed much less of a threat/challenge than usual.

Indeed it feels like the quests have been getting progressively easier since this series began and you can't help feeling that Tim and the gang were desperate to have a winning team this year to show it can be done, if only just, otherwise the kids might think "Oh, no one ever wins on that so I won't bother applying" and the show faced with a shortage of applicants for Series 3. Mark at least is perhaps the most entertaining dungeoneer to date, immersing himself in the world as much as possible and causing that awesome bit where, in response to Gretel's "Are you the Knave of Hearts?" answering "Yes" and completely throwing the poor actress!

Unfortunately there just hasn't really been any danger in their quest so far, they've been helped along nicely and even the bomb room had a fuse that clearly wasn't going to run out any time soon. Hopefully the rest of Level 2 will provide some well-needed - ahem - (C)hallenge.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yes I see what you mean. Their quest has been straight forward so far but at the same time the team have been entertaining. I guess there had to be a winner sooner or later otherwise people might have started to think it's too hard and switch off.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.