Series 2 - Episode 3

shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 3

Post by shadow6162 »

Why is it that everyone on YouTube thinks they were calling the shovel the 'Spoon of Interest'? I mean that's a very fancy name (*hint hint* new quest object!) but they were obviously saying, "Was there anything on the spoon 'of interest'?"

Now I remember this death very clearly from watching it back when I was little. I couldn't help but laugh my head off when the advisors got stoned as well ;D . After watching that episode, I always used to imagine the advisors telling the dungeoneer to turn away from Medusa and then they'd turn away themselves and not do anything for the rest of the episode. Don't ask why! ;D ;D ;D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

:D Mogdread I wonder why he was so heavily features in level 2 this time?
Bit of an off quest really, level 2 had a lot of new rooms but not a lot happened, not must of it was challenging. For a moment I thought the lack of password was the end, they certainly were giving a lot of time to spellcast. Also liked the energy draining symbol

Too many rooms with nothing to do, such as the maggot ledge and gargoyle.. still adds to the atmosphere of the place. But with no hints on which clue objects to take it's no wonder they died... what was the 'wrong' objects they picked up?
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

wombstar wrote:But with no hints on which clue objects to take it's no wonder they died... what was the 'wrong' objects they picked up?
They took a gemstone, unlikely to be of any use in Level 3 where there's no-one to bribe. They were probably fooled by Treguard hinting there was "much of value" on the table, when of course he meant usefulness rather than monetary value.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I thought it was good to see Mogdread as it added a touch of fear for the team and they then knew they had to get the better of him if they were to complete their quest.

I didn't like the mills of doom. I think it slows down the quests.

Did feel sorry for the team but it was a good death!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

I am just watching this now, it is one of my faves, but i don't think the Mills of Doom slowed it down it's that really annoying "Miners" room with Bumptious that really slowed it down, ok goldminers and a dig a the Thatcherite era fair enough but wel.. dull.....
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

knightmaredave wrote:I am just watching this now, it is one of my faves, but i don't think the Mills of Doom slowed it down it's that really annoying "Miners" room with Bumptious that really slowed it down, ok goldminers and a dig a the Thatcherite era fair enough but wel.. dull.....
If that's the case then I like it! A bit of tongue in cheek! Yeah the miners room slowed things down as well. Good job they only had this for 1 series. The best thing about this episode is we get to see the 1st winning team of Knightmare!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I have to agree. I've never really been a fan of the miners.

I appreciate it more than I used to, but it's very slow and doesn't really progress the quest.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

My Mum has been watching Knightmare on Challenge. She thought it was a trap when Bumptious left Chris to operate the plunger (like when Mildread told him to climb in the fake wellway), and was convinced he was about to blow himself up!
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Probably one of my favourite episodes from a purely nostalgic point of view. Mogdred's searching hand was definitely a playground talking point the following day along with one of the all time classic KM deaths.

The show is really zipping along now - although things like the vale of worms and the gargoyle didn't really impact the quest they add a great deal of variety and atmosphere and make the show endlessly engaging - what on earth will be through the next door? (And I suppose the producers may have intentionally had rooms which could have easily been removed/added in the edit suite).

Interestingly I have almost no memory of the miners - the satire would obviously have flown far over my seven year old head (in a way, it's remarkable they bothered with it in a kids show). It's also a let down because you think 'ooh, mine cart ride' and then they just blow a whole in the wall. They rectified this a year later of course!

As for the mills of doom, I rather like them - mysterious (what exactly is being milled?), scary machine sound effects and a genuine threat of death. Also, they're OF DOOM which makes anything cool (see also: Forest)!

My memory is playing tricks on me as already we have a winning team in play in only the third episode. I'm pretty sure series 2 was the first I watched but surely it was months and months before anyone finally bested the dungeon?! I guess a few weeks is a long time when you're seven...
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

mills of doom make a nice threat the team in level 2.
They're quite exciting if you've watching the show for the first time and no knowing if they will fall off, Now we have so many awesome rooms and variations you never know whats your gonna get, other then the standard clue room ad well room, and entrance rooms for each level.

Interesting to note Lilith taking a back seat this time, while I liked her it does get repetitive seeing the same things every quest, it was kinda odd she left after this year but they still kept her room.

Are challenge showing season 3?
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

wombstar wrote:Are challenge showing season 3?
They haven't bought the rights to Series 3 and aren't currently planning to, but that doesn't mean they won't at some point.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Overdue and momentous as the introduction of Mogdred was, a Level 2 without Merlin didn't feel right. After the second wellway room, I wonder if Mogdred had to fight off a law suit from Thing from the Addams family.

When I hear the Gargoyle's "DOOM... DOOM... DOOM..." I imagine that he's warming up for a barbershop number.

And how does Treguard have immunity to Medusa? Did he keep blinking without us noticing?
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Drassil wrote:And how does Treguard have immunity to Medusa? Did he keep blinking without us noticing?
Ha, I was pondering this very question just the other day. The Gruagach mentions something in the first book about Treguard being protected from some of his spells because of his Dunshelm blood, so it could be that. Or maybe Medusa is only staring at the team and doesn't dare turn her gaze upon the Dungeon Master? (I certainly wouldn't fancy my chances in a stare-out competition against Hugo Myatt!)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well he wasn't looking at the screen I guess. lol
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

This is a fantastic episode, with one of my favourite Knightmare demises.

Finally, the first appearance of Mogdred. >:D He certainly gave them the hurry-up.

This team were generally good at directing their dungeoneer, but where was he going on the mills of doom?

Those cavernwights were after him like a shot a the start of level 3. 8-o Cavernwights don't usually show such a turn of pace. They did well, not only to escape, but to actually reach the right hand door.

Ultimately, like team 6 in the previous series, they were undone by a single mistake in the level 3 clue room. But that's level 3, it has to be unforgiving.... They seemed to have done their homework (and studied the previous series) coz they picked Joshua's fabled horn, before choosing their other item. Sadly they went for the gem rather than the magic shield. (Altho a shield is not a weapon, they may have erroneously thought that, like weapons, it was of no use to the unsighted dungeoneer.)

They may have narrowly missed out on glory of being the first ever Knightmare winners, but still achieved a certain fame with their demise at the gaze of the medusa. It was a great touch that the 3 advisors were all turned to stone as well.

Their entire quest was well paced, just 30 minutes, even tho they almost reached the end of level 3. That would be unimaginable in later years....

Spoiler alert: By the time future teams reach the medusa's chamber, somebody has mysteriously removed the Christopher statue.... ;D
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D