Series 1 - Episode 7

pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Series 1 - Episode 7

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:Always love the corridor room, always looks great, and Folly shows us why he was the best jester in the series.

The insult stuff was clearly a 'time waster' they had to fill up the last episodes without a team getting killed or even winning. Pretty much giving the team a free ticket, same with the well spell. I always thought the boy was making sure his helmet didn't fall off as he climbed in and not 'holding his nose' (unless he thought it was a real well?)

Looks like with got our first 'Password' next episode.

And I Hate that snake. it looks so out of place in the dungeon.
But everyone loves that giant skeleton creature... awesome, although their life force should have ran out they took so long and pretty much walked into it.
Yes the snake wasn't very good, not compared to the king cobra in Series 3! Must say Folly and Cedric's insults bit was a bit time consuming but the team were never gonna win anyway as we find out they chose the wrong item.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Billy wrote:The insult sequence is an interesting one looking back. In the past when I've viewed it I've just thought "Lol funny" and took it as a fun bit of diversion, but watching it today in the context of one episode a week, ala 1987 (even the 2004 Challenge repeats were daily) it's so bizarre and brings what was initially a strongly-paced and energetic episode to a screeching halt.
I thought so too - you suddenly notice just how long it goes on for, when it's taking up a good chunk of your weekly viewing time, and it does seem really strange how the dungeoneer is just standing silently in the corner while the actors do their thing! It almost reminded me of the spyglass scenes from later years, with the key difference that the team learned absolutely nothing useful from watching this.
Billy wrote:Imagine the fury if Barry's quest in S7 came to an abrupt end thanks to the seven-minute Hordriss and Grimaldine fireball scene!
LMAO!
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

This is the first time I've ever really analysed the show on an episode by episode basis and a key trend appears to be the heavy manipulation of quest length by the production team. Will be interesting to see if this continues into series 2.

(Hmm, gameplay integrity vs good television - might make an interesting article :) )

Of course, another theme is experimentation as the show finds its feet and the insult contest could simply be viewed in this context - the producers trying something out to see if it worked and to provide some variety.
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

HobGoblin wrote:This is the first time I've ever really analysed the show on an episode by episode basis and a key trend appears to be the heavy manipulation of quest length by the production team. Will be interesting to see if this continues into series 2.

(Hmm, gameplay integrity vs good television - might make an interesting article :) )

Of course, another theme is experimentation as the show finds its feet and the insult contest could simply be viewed in this context - the producers trying something out to see if it worked and to provide some variety.
Yes I see what you mean. While Folly and Cedric's scene might have made good tv to the viewer, at the same time the team suffered and all of a sudden their quest took a back step. It was still good the production team tried to do something different though. Just one episode left of series 1 to go!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I always found the Folly V Cedric scene highly entertaining, however it does mean the quest pretty much cuts out during this scene. I suppose variety is the reason why this was done in the first place.

One more part to Series 1 to go,and soon the end of the generic intros and outros :green:
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

A couple of noteworthy points about the recent broadcasts of this episode:

On the Friday, the standard Challenge logo was used in place of the Challenge Late Zone logo;

On both the Friday and the Saturday, there were no continuity announcements over the end credits.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I noticed that too and wondered why - it seemed like they had broadcast the Saturday morning version on Friday, for some reason. (There were no popups like "Bob's Full House next" either.) I particularly liked the absence of annoying / irrelevant continuity over the credits!
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Canadanne wrote: 22 Jun 2013, 00:18 I thought so too - you suddenly notice just how long it goes on for, when it's taking up a good chunk of your weekly viewing time, and it does seem really strange how the dungeoneer is just standing silently in the corner while the actors do their thing! It almost reminded me of the spyglass scenes from later years, with the key difference that the team learned absolutely nothing useful from watching this.
I'm not a fan of this scene. The idea was ok, but it went on way too long.
One of the minor problems with the inaugural series was the pacing of the episodes.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Given it was the first ever 'set-piece' scene to include more than one dungeon character, I guess the insults duel was bound to have quite an experimental aspect to it. It did go on too long, and it also had, to my mind, excessive consequences, in that the team didn't really have to do anything much at all to get through Level 2, as Folly basically laid it all on a plate for them by defeating Cedric on their behalf.

If this scene had happened in this form in, just for instance, season 6, it would have been completely unforgivable. I think, given how young the show was in 1987, the slowness and clumsy execution can be overlooked, and the scene can be given a pass. Just.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 6 made easy work of level 1 and looked competent.
Had a near miss taking the grub from in front of the catacombite tho. 8-o
Notable that one advisor started almost every sentence by saying "Right". Possibility of confusion when they wanted Richard to go left.... :D

HStorm wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 18:40 Given it was the first ever 'set-piece' scene to include more than one dungeon character, I guess the insults duel was bound to have quite an experimental aspect to it. It did go on too long, and it also had, to my mind, excessive consequences, in that the team didn't really have to do anything much at all to get through Level 2, as Folly basically laid it all on a plate for them by defeating Cedric on their behalf.
If this scene had happened in this form in, just for instance, season 6, it would have been completely unforgivable. I think, given how young the show was in 1987, the slowness and clumsy execution can be overlooked, and the scene can be given a pass. Just.
Yes, i agree. There were a few things in series 1 which didn't quite work-out perfectly, but as you say, that was understandable as it was a brand new concept.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D