Re:Series 1 Episode 1

MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Okay I understand what you say now (takes back all the nasty things). *Gets idea for knew thread*
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Hi everyone, remember me? ;D
Nah thought not - haven't been here for quite a while so I doubt you would. Anyway, the first time challange showed KM I missed the oppertunity to tape series 5-8 (got 3 and 4) - so now I'm delighted to have the chance to get them all this time.

This is the first time I've seen this episode since it was on sci-fi. Anyway, I'll probably stick around this time.

Sorry for the off-topic. Yes, I thought treguard was great, as usual. Although his attempt at explaining the rules of the game (for the first episode) was pretty confusing, had it been the first time I watched it I would've probably turned it off because I'd have a headache by the time the first team started. (I only started watching KM from series 6 when it was originally on ITV). Also suprised to see the old Anglia logo, because I heared it was replaced on sci-fi.
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

beamrider2600 wrote: Hi everyone, remember me? ;D
Nah thought not - haven't been here for quite a while so I doubt you would.
Hey, long time no read ;). For starters in just two words welcome back 8). And yes a do slightly remember you!
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Poor old Guy Standeven seemed to have breathing difficulties. Perhaps a larger air-hole in the Olgarth/Granitas face mask was needed. :)

The freshness of this episode is still apparent after all this time. More or less everything was in place from the start.

I really would love to know how the Life Force clock was made. I really do think that having one in the new series is essential - it is an extremely important tension-building device. OK, so the lack of linearity makes it a bit awkward but I never used to care or even think about it when I was watching it originally all those years ago. All I knew was that when the face appeared, it was time to hurry up! :)
Subject to change.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Thanks for those media links, Tom41. I fiddled about with the Anglia logo a bit and removed the Challenge logo at the top:

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders ... glia87.jpg

Perhaps Illusion could replace the picture of the current image on the Series 1 pages with this, changing the description to:

'However, the original episodes broadcast on ITV in 1987 (and Challenge in 2004) showed this older Anglia production logo.

This indicates that the production logos were updated for the Sci-Fi broadcasts.'?
sda
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by sda »

Tom41 wrote: Old Anglia production logo. I wonder why they didn't use Sci-Fi's tapes?
I'd hazard a guess that they preferred brand new copies of all series made direct from Anglia's masters, than use some other channel's older copies.

--

A change to actually see something in Knightmare - very bright - s8 was all in the dark!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I think that's a fair assumption - the broadcast tapes have the old-style logo on them. Doubtless it's these tapes (or copies, as you say) that Challenge are using.
Subject to change.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

The first team walked off the edge in Lillith's domain, but got away with it. I'll capture it and stick it in to my domain, so others can get a little detail... :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Its quite different after finishing watching series 8, to go straight back to series 1.

Wall monster = naff
Effects were alright considering that it was 1987 (I think) when it was filmed.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

You could equally say that about going back to, say, season 5 after watching season 8, as the digitized photos looked very lifeless and pixelated compared to the later CGI.

Yes, Olgarth looked terrible in the opening episode, but you do get a much clearer view of the wall monsters in subsequent shows, even if they still look a bit spongy and wobbly.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Just another minor point that nobody seems to have picked up on - when the second team had to walk on the letters spelling SESAME. They used the same S and E twice! Shouldn't the letters have disappeared after being stepped on, like the 1st team?
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, to be fair, the show was still finding its feet. There were doubtless many things that the fresh-faced cast and crew had yet to learn.
Subject to change.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

In any case, I don't see why every puzzle has to work exactly the same way in each quest. Besides, SESAME is a longer word than OPEN, so it would've taken a lot longer for Mave to chase up all the letters.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

Very cool to see the first ever ep for the first time! It's very different to the KM we're used to, but it's good to see where it all began. I thought it was interesting that the quest objects must have come in later, and all they were after in the quest was a squire-dom. Plus, the ante-chamber was way too bright for my liking! That definitely improved later on...Treguard looked so young, and I loved the 80s hair, hehe ;) The asthmatic wall monster, *ahem* well, it was only the first episode, so ;) I did think it was quite a hard quest generally, that left/right thing could have been confusing, and there was nothing to tell then they had to take the lamp not the charm, whereas in later episodes, there would have probably been a scroll with a hint. Still, great to see it, looking forward to seeing the rest :)
"You're in a room..." ;)
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

The wall monster would probably have told them to take the lamp and the other is to be remembered. However the team only got 2 out of 3 so didn't get additional info.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.