The Outdoor Scenes

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

The Outdoor Scenes

Post by KFan »

HI  ;D

Did anybody particularly like it when they decided to use outdoor scenes instead of the dungeons? I didn't really like it very much. I still enjoyed watching the show, but scnery wise because really this was the only series where they used completely outdoor scenes.

series 1 > dungeon scenes
series 2 > dungeon scenes
series 3 > dungeon scenes
series 4 > half and half, they began to experiment with the scenery this season
series 5 > completely outdoor
series 6 > In a lot of ways this series was more 'dark and gloomy'
series 7 > Level 3 of this series completely dugeon
series 8 > complete return to dungeon scenes

Series 8, despite what some people say about it not being that good, I really liked series 8 and for some reason, even though I had not heard this officially or even as a romour, I had a feeling this might be the end, it was just diffrent, like they were trying to relive the entirity of the show before it ended.  :o

I never liked the eye shield sequences in series 5 or any series. I don't understand who is guiding the dungeoneer whilst the advisors are looking through the eyeshield?

KM_Fan - www.takeshiscastle.org
Hanna_ball
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: The Outdoor Scenes

Post by Hanna_ball »

I would have to say that for me the outdoor scenes where the way to go for knightmare, they brought the show on so much onto new dimensions if you excuse the phrase.  They gave the show a lot more reality and believablility.  I used to love the bit where the dungeoneer got into the boat with that weird boat guy that was brilliant and he had to be payed for his service.  

I think a blend of both the blue screen dungeons and the outdoor areas where best for knightmare.  I actually didnt mind the eye shield myself but i understand your point about who was guiding the dungeoneer whilst the advisors were looking through the eye shield.  I love all the knightmare series and all the parts of the show that they tryed to experiment with also as this was very good for the show and its ratings in the early days of KM
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

This arguement is very difficult for me to take sides in S5 i liked the outdoor parts but it was overused and began to get boring, S3 was all dungeon and didnt get boring for me but I like a mixture ideally.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

I agree The Half and Half approch they applyed in S6 & S7 was the best way to go.

I also thought Series 8 had a ring of finality to it. Especialy during the closeing credits of the last show when they showed all the previose champions in

THE KNIGHTMARE HALL OF FAME & HONNOR.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

No! No no no no no no no. No. No! NO!

I hated the outdoor scenes. I loathed them. I despised them. I resented everything about them. They stank. They smelled. They reeked. They minged. They whiffed.

I did not, in short, like them.

They should've kept the game in the dungeon where everything was darker, grimier, murkier, and most of all, much more claustrophobic. It was far scarier than the bright, open spaces of the outdoor images, which belonged on Summer Holiday or Wish You Were Here.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
King_Gazz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by King_Gazz »

I think the outdoor scences sucked and as for the eye shield and the wand they too sucked.
Blocker: PASSWORD? Advisor: Chris say red, blue, green & Grey. Chris: red, green, blue & grey. Advisor No chris red, blue. Blocker: GULP
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Oh don't get me started on the reach wand, Gazz! What a daft idea! Just what was wrong with the keys (Caspar apart, obviously)? What's wrong with a door handle?
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

series 8 > complete return to dungeon scenes
Not quite. Level 3 did feature some outdoor scenes such as the galleon and the entrance to Marblehead
I also thought Series 8 had a ring of finality to it. Especialy during the closeing credits of the last show when they showed all the previose champions in  

THE KNIGHTMARE HALL OF FAME & HONNOR.
Again, not quite. The closing credits featured all of Series 8 Team 6 and a couple of the members from Series 7 Team 6, but no others. I think it was something to do that they were still inviting applications for Series 9 after the final episode of Series 8 was broadcast, but alas Series 9 never materialised.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

lol, reading the posts that HATE the outdoor scenes.. kinda makes me laugh..  As most of the middle/late knightmare seasons was based on outside.. you guy must have really hated them eps..  so really i guess you never liked Knightmare all that much huh??
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
King_Gazz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by King_Gazz »

Again series 8 level 3 had outdoor scenes entrance to Linghorn and entrance to Marble Head
Blocker: PASSWORD? Advisor: Chris say red, blue, green & Grey. Chris: red, green, blue & grey. Advisor No chris red, blue. Blocker: GULP
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

you guy must have really hated them eps..  so really i guess you never liked Knightmare all that much huh??
I loved the early seasons ofKnightmare, and the later ones had redeeming features that drew attention away from the outdoorsiness of it (chiefly Lord Fear's dialogue), but it's true that I didn't like the later years nearly as much as the early ones.

I have to say, however, that it's an enormous leap on your part to say that I and others like me didn't like the series much as a whole on the basis of really just two or three seasons out of eight.
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

Again series 8 level 3 had outdoor scenes entrance to Linghorn and entrance to Marble Head
hmm... if I remember rightly though they werent actually plain outdoor scenes though were they? From what I remember they were still fantasy scenes
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

Actually Technicaly the only outside scenes in S8 were the gallion and the next scene after on the entrance to Linghorn and Marbalhead.

Everything else is dungeon or enclosed corutyards.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

By these terms you could even argue that season three was partly outdoors because of the Vale of Vanburn and the clifftops that dungeoneers would fall from.
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

I preferred the purely dungeon series too. The outdoor sequences were just a bit too purple. I think they'd have worked better if they'd just used natural colours.

Though I liked the outdoor sequences in S5 because of Gwendoline and... uhm... shutting up!
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law