Morghanna - does it mean anything?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Morghanna - does it mean anything?

Post by Velda »

Great, another Fighting Fantasy fan :D - I used to get the books when I was younger too, I still do, originals off ebay :D A good source if you want to collect certain books

Favourite Books and ones I reccommend:

1. Deathtrap Dungeon (My 1st book and the best)
2. Keep of the Lich Lord (multiple success endings, multiple paths, interesting and involving plot)
3. Warlock of Firetop Mountain

Books that are interesting:

1. The Zagor series books (Mountain,  Return and Legend Zagor)
2. The Vampire series (Vault and Revenge)
3. Appointment with F.E.A.R (superheroes!)

Books that you should steer clear of:

1. Scorpion Swamp (not bad concept but too short)
2. Star strider (not bad but again weak)
3. Space assassin (another space series one)

Maybe we should start our own fan board or all join one in use :D
The ones you've listed there that I don't have are: Keep of the Lich-Lord, The Legend of Zagor and Scorpion Swamp.  The others you've listed I've got (I agree that Star Strider isn't up to much).

What do you think of House of Hell if you've got it?  It did my head in when I first got it 'cause I couldn't for the life of me figure out what path to take 'cause there were so many dead ends like getting stuck in that dungeon.  I had to cheat and read the solution.

I've got Creature of Havoc too and it also confused me until I read the solution.  The actual plot is good once you read through it though.

I frequently visited the Fighting Fantasy site for a while and still haven't read all of it, but it's a great site and I love the reviews.  I think it needs more though...
Dublex
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dublex »

I do have House of Hell :) and I should have added it to my interesting books list, as its the only one set in the "Real" world as such.

I thought it was a very good book, although I agree that you can get stuck in the dead ends and I have to admit I never really worked out how to finish it before I read the solution..  It all makes sense again when you read the solution through and there are clues on the way but many parts of it are hard.

I think that the only one next to that in diffculty is Crimson Tide which has a clever puzzle on it if you don't miss the words you are given.
===

Justice - keeping Chaos at bay with a double-edged pointy thing
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

Crimson Tide is one of the ones I'm missing but never seem to come across in a charity shop.  :( Ah well, it should soon be back in the shops again when it gets re-released.  Could you give me a brief sypnosis of it?
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

One of my fiends has these books i think i will borrow them off him or try to get the german version!!!
Morghana (however iot is spelt don't care really) was a big favourite of mine as she managed to Kill teams which is mroe than Lord Fear ever did!!!! she was a evil source definately my taste!!!!!! (that is not to soudn dodgy though!
knightmaredave
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Masks of Mayhem was published in 1986, so Knightmare kind of followed it in terms of name.

Other classic Knightmare books not yet mentioned include: Island of the Lizard King, Robot Commando, Stealer of Souls, Dead of Night, and Spell breaker.

I agree about Crature of Havoc, it's far too difficult for people to get to grips with.

The only FF gamebook I don't have is Curse of the Mummy (very last one) as well as the Sorcery series.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

I'd forgotten about Stealer of Souls, I really liked that one too. And Siege of Sardath. I'm gonna have to look out all my old FF books next time I'm at my parent's house.

I don;t know if they've been mentioned yet, but I also loved Steve Jackson's Sorcery! quartet, (The Shamutai Hills, Khare: Cityport of Traps, the Seven Serpents and The Crown of Kings) since they were all really long and you could play as a warrior or a wizard.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hey all. If these are the type of books I think they are, I have one called 'Demons of the Deep' - grand stuff. On the fantasy side of things - anybody know of R.A.Salvatore, my favourite author? Not many will know the name, I guess.. but he did write the book for the second Star Wars film, 'Attack of the Clones'. I'm appalled that I haven't read that yet, but I'm a pure fantasy type of reader rather than space-incorporated science fiction.

As far as the mythology goes as to the name, I should imagine that some names were derived from this kind of myth, and will be widely used in more instances than Knightmare. For instance, doing some reading the other day, I came across the term 'Motley' in a poem by... geez, can't find it - will edit in if I do; and I'm sure everyone knows already - but motley is the term for the multi-coloured patchwork clothing of jesters, and so that's where our resident KM fool got his handle from. :)
I didn't know that at all; just a thick arts student, trying to take Joint honours. Good point to think of, though. :)
Agreed with Dave, Morghanna was brilliant; S3, Tm6 - favourite death! Yippee. Yeh, one thing I really loved about characters such as Morghanna was that with an actor or actress playing two such widely differing roles, it really does show the acting ability there, because in many instances you don't immediately associate with one character 'oh, he/she plays ..  as well'; because they're so different and solid in their own right. Loved the way that many actors; offhand John Woodnutt, Natasha Pope, Michael Cule, Sam Perkins, Juliet Henry-Massy, Mark Knight for cert ... a fair few, played one or more characters on opposing sides, really meaning that the portrayal had to be really different. Really clever how that was organised - brilliant. And somebody asked me the other day, 'Why do you like Knightmare so much?' - I couldn't answer - for I knew not where to start; and once started, I'd never know where to end... like this post...    KaM
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

As well as Paul Valentine (Motley/Hands) and Cliff Barry (Lissard & Raptor/Brother Strange)....

http://www.rasalvatore.com
is worth checking out if you haven't done so already
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Hey all. If these are the type of books I think they are, I have one called 'Demons of the Deep' - grand stuff. On the fantasy side of things - anybody know of R.A.Salvatore, my favourite author? Not many will know the name, I guess.. but he did write the book for the second Star Wars film, 'Attack of the Clones'. I'm appalled that I haven't read that yet, but I'm a pure fantasy type of reader rather than space-incorporated science fiction.
*raises hand* I'm a D&D geek, so I know who R.A. Salvatore is! Never actually read any of his Forgotten Realms books though, since I can't stand Drizzt "Oh the angst!" Do'Urden. (in fact I always kill him and steal his stuff in Baldur's Gate)

I prefer fantasy to sci-fi as well, my favourite authors being Sara Douglass, Raymond E. Feist and David Eddings.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

I've read three of R.A Slavatores books  :D the last book of the black elf trilogy is my fawouwrite and I've read almost all of David Eddings books. I'm currently reading Reginas song and A magic kingdome for sale, sold! (by Terry Brooks)
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!