Mysterious voice directing the dungeoneer

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
GrandDizzy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Mysterious voice directing the dungeoneer

Post by GrandDizzy »

I remember an episode where I heard a mysterious voice directing the dungeoneer. At the time I thought it was quite spooky. Now I realise it must have been a member of the floor crew, and we were never supposed to hear it.

The episode must have been from season 1, 2 or 3 (they were the ones I always had on tape). And it was when the dungeoneer was getting into a well to go to the next level. As the dungeoneer got in and tucked his head down, I heard a mysterious man's voice (not Treguard) saying "down... right down".

Did anyone else notice this? Or does anyone know whose voice it was?
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Mysterious voice directing the dungeoneer

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Ha, unless anyone remembers, it's another excuse to peruse the videos.

On a serious note, if mysterious voices and such could creep into old KM, I wonder just what might happen in a LIVE TV version.

BTW Granddizzy, do you mind me asking what inspired your username?
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

That would have most likely been Series 2 Team 1, when Mildread impersonated an advisor in order to guide the dungeoneer into her cauldron!  ;)

GrandDizzy - maybe from the Dizzy computer games perhaps? (the egg-shaped geezer)  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

The "egg-shaped geezer"  ::)
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

GrandDizzy - maybe from the Dizzy computer games perhaps? (the egg-shaped geezer)  ;D
That's what I hope! I loved those games so much.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Incidentally, what (if anything) did the dungeoneers "climb down" to get the wellway shots? Was there something on set for them to climb into?
GrandDizzy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by GrandDizzy »

They actually used a real well for the dungeoneer to climb into, as opposed to a load of blue blocks as I had always imagined.

The reason I know this is that it's revealed in the chromakey experiments video (on this site). You see some bloke in a suit wandering around the dungeons while they test the effects to see if they're working. I LOVE that video. If a DVD were released, that would HAVE to be an extra. It's marvelous.
GrandDizzy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by GrandDizzy »

My name? Yeah. I am a HUGE fan of the Dizzy games!

For those who don't know, Dizzy was a very popular series of computer games made primarily on the Sinclair Spectrum computer in the 80s and early 90s. The games were great; totally unlike anything they make these days.

Click on "Dizzy Shrine" on this fan site:
http://www.speccy.f9.co.uk/
Pictures of the Dizzy characters:
http://www.olivertwins.com/yolkfolk.htm

The Dizzy games weren't actually too dissimilar from the premise of Knightmare. You had to carry objects around solving puzzles and interacting with various other characters. The main difference was that instead of being a bloke with a funny helmet you were an egg with boxing gloves. You were Dizzy the egg, and were part of a community of eggs called The Yolkfolk. GrandDizzy is Dizzy's grandad.

Last edited by GrandDizzy on 11 Dec 2002, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Woohoo - I was right!  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

They actually used a real well for the dungeoneer to climb into, as opposed to a load of blue blocks as I had always imagined.

The reason I know this is that it's revealed in the chromakey experiments video (on this site). You see some bloke in a suit wandering around the dungeons while they test the effects to see if they're working. I LOVE that video. If a DVD were released, that would HAVE to be an extra. It's marvelous.
Ah. I really should get around to looking at that. -blush-
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

My name? Yeah. I am a HUGE fan of the Dizzy games!

For those who don't know, Dizzy was a very popular series of computer games made primarily on the Sinclair Spectrum computer in the 80s and early 90s. The games were great; totally unlike anything they make these days.
I spent huge amounts of time completing those games. I had them all, except for the spin-off arcade things which didn't appeal to me that much. Magic Land was my favourite; I always thought that looked really great, plus I completed it without too much trouble. ;)
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Oh, but I had an old Amstrad machine, so when checking the site you mentioned (oh, the memories) I had to try to ignore the Speccyness. ;) It's weird really- when I looked at the complete map for Magic Land, I could just hear the music to it in my head. Fabulous :)

GrandDizzy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by GrandDizzy »

Yes... I think Magicland Dizzy is like season 3 of Knightmare. It was the most perfect adventure. Fantasy World, before it, was almost as good, but not quite as memorable for some reason. And Spellbound, after it, was great, but the map was just too big and empty and it had wierd music. Magicland is the one I get out and play more often. (I'm sad, I do play these old games, usually when I get together with my old mates who also love the Speccy games.)

Hey, maybe it's just me but I think 1990 was a brilliant year. For some reason everything from that year seems extra-special in my memory: Magicland Dizzy, Knightmare series 3 and other TV shows, and all the music from that year. I wonder why 1990 is so significant to me.
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

I'm the same actually, 1989 and 1990 were fab years for me. I used to live in a seaside town in Kent and being 7/8 years old, nothing is cooler than living by the sea!
In the weekday afternoons CITV was my babysitter, as my parents owned a newsagents and I would always be upstairs watching the Kids programmes. Especially on a Friday afternoon when there was Knightmare and a certain programme presented by a bloke in a mullet! Not only that but at the weekends I would be down the arcades spending all of my pocket money playing Mario Brothers and Outrun...Bliss! :)
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Yes... I think Magicland Dizzy is like season 3 of Knightmare. It was the most perfect adventure. Fantasy World, before it, was almost as good, but not quite as memorable for some reason. And Spellbound, after it, was great, but the map was just too big and empty and it had wierd music. Magicland is the one I get out and play more often. (I'm sad, I do play these old games, usually when I get together with my old mates who also love the Speccy games.)

Hey, maybe it's just me but I think 1990 was a brilliant year. For some reason everything from that year seems extra-special in my memory: Magicland Dizzy, Knightmare series 3 and other TV shows, and all the music from that year. I wonder why 1990 is so significant to me.
Hey, it's not sad to enjoy fabulous things that just happen to have been made several years ago! I never liked Fantasy World much for some reason. But Spellbound was cool, if very difficult. I don't know about good music in 1990. Some of it was pretty good, but sadly the best band of all time had just broken up. Or at least stopped making music.