Does anyone know?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
jamiewwe
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Does anyone know?

Post by jamiewwe »

i was VERY young when knightmare aired and i cant remeber much but one thing sticks out in my mind. A troll/ogre/giant actually got into the room where treguard was and the dungeoner had to either pick the sword (to win the quest) or the hammer )to beat the ogre) can anyone give me more details. Its driving me nuts
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Does anyone know?

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

It sounds very much like you're talking about the end of Series 7. The link below should help explain things. :D

http://knightmare.v21hosting.co.uk/series/7/end.htm

There's a video clip of it linked from that page.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 01 Jul 2003, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

I love writing it up, anyway... so if you don't mind...?

Ever since Lord Fear's reign began in Series 5 (1991); at the end of every season, a plot was incorporated around the quests to provide a more thrilling ending. Season 5 saw the attempted freezing of the dungeon through Fear's accomplice, Aesandre.

The following season (the best ending in my opinion) saw the climax with the red dragon's attack. The producers first toyed with the penultimate quest, giving mention to a 'dragon caller' which was floating in the early dungeon - a task as part of the quest to redeem it and dispose of it appropriately. Then, to conclude the season, Fear, in a seeming rush of frustration, released the dragon to be set upon Knightmare Castle, forgetting the inner dungeon. The vision of it, a sinister pink juxtaposed against the black stars.. terrifying. The final team, Chris Green's quest, when this was made evident, was to ignore the sword, but find a lightning rod instead to bring the dragon down.

Similarly in S7, the Brollachan produced a secret tunnel between Goth and KM Castle, and it is discovered the purpose of this is so that Fear can send a troll down it to wreck the stronghold of the 'Powers that Be'. In a similar mould, the dungeoneer, Barry, and his team, although given the choice in the final chamber, needed to forfeit their quest object for the Troll Hammer, the only weapon to defeat the purposeful troll.

The wonderful difference, was that for all Chris' team in S6 got rather little recognition, either that they'd saved the Castle, or had escaped the dungeon and forfeited their quest to do so and were dismissed by 'accident' as a precaution; Barry's team were rewarded for their efforts by being officially rewarded as winners - the eye shield magically transforming into the Shield of Justice, which the team assumed they'd neglected in level 3.

Series 8 - I pass on that. That's another story.. but what I've mentionned is one of my very favourite aspects of KM - one that I enjoy talking about very much.
Last edited by KaM on 01 Jul 2003, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Very well written, RM!
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

i don't think season 8 had one. they had a winner and then a team ti finish things off noting 'BIG' went on from what i can remember.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

No.. series 8 in my opinion was timed wrongly. I'm not sure of the exact details, but the original number of episodes had to be cut back drastically. Therefore the end of series wasn't manufactured properly. The way I see it is, that Dunston's team won 5 minutes into the final episode, providing 20 mins of gameplay left. However, I reckon that the shortcut they took from lvl 1 to Linghorm saved approximately that - so if Knightmare wanted any kind of conclusive ending at all, without the accustomed plot to bring about something terrible, then surely the shortcut needed to be axed and therefore the scheduling would have fitted perfectly for Dunston's team to win and conclude the series. Instead, a new team were sent in, with very little hope of getting far, and even with the shortcut, they could only get as far as the beginning of level 3 before the alarms sounded and Smirkinorff was called for his only flight of the series to pick them up. Disappointment for KM to concluded in this way - it was hardly memorable, unlike the previous 3 series before that.
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by PunmiesterWhiteley »

The Series 8 ending was disappointing.  Dunstan and company finished with half an episode remaining leaving hardly any time for a "proper" ending.

It was due to Virtually Impossible starting the eighth series was shorter.  After 5 minutes of VI I was bored.
You remind me of all the other men I've met in my life. All helmet and no brains.

(Stiletta to Mike)
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

BUG ALERT! BUG ALERT!

# What a load of rubbish... #
4 line sigs yada yada yada
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Even though Series 8 was the only one i saw i cant remember it, being so long ago and all...

It seems to me like a bad ending to something great  >:(
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Hey 'It never ends it just...stops'
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

I think the particular wording is:

"When the time turns one more, and the fire burns as more, and the gauntlet is held down, then, will the age of Knightmare be found." [Tregaurd - End of Series 3]

OR

"Well you lot, are you going to let him scare you off, or are some of you brave enough to pick up the gauntlet?"

"We'll be waiting for your answer, don't keep us waiting too long, will you?" [Tregaurd - End of Series 5]

OR

"Hmm, he means it you know. The comforting thing is, that whenever the loud challenge rings out, wherever the bully hurls his abuse, there are always a few quiet moments prepared to simply stoop, and pick up the gauntlet. And it will be thrown down again, you can count on that." [Tregaurd - End of Series 6]

;D
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Well done - only i thought it was "a few quiet ones" not "a few quiet moments"?
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Ah, but yes - Series 8 was a bad ending to something great. It's a shame really, because the series itself had some wonderful features incorporated, and yet when many people, including myself, speak relatively ill of it, it's partly because of that ending, and partly because it's such a real big disappointment on what could have been great. When you've watched series 6 and 7, in my op, better by fr than 4 or 5, you can allow yourself a certain air of anticipation and expectation for a brilliant series 8 - and it became a little bit of a let down.

What I did like, was the instant 'difficulty' assumption that became of it. The first team falling at the end of level one seemed a long past tradition, and it did look like a rather harsh way around things at first. Then, we saw the traditional palace of Goth now as level 2. Given how scary and difficult this proved to be in S7, it's quite something, considering relative difficulty levels, to have that sort of challenge 'relegated' to level 2, and expect something more difficult to follow as well!

Saying that, I don't see the harm in difficulty, and the one thing that I did like about S8 was the depth of Level 3; Linghorm and Marblehead - split into a level 3 'a' and level 3 'b' as it were. Also, I felt that it got a little bit out of proportion when the 'reach' wand appeared. Yes, it was used quite well at times (argh - exposing short-cuts) but along with the eye-shield, it was another aid, and started to complicate things a tad. I won't say anything about the ending, since I've already whinged about that, but it was a tremendous let down, and the big pity was that KM was to end like that - it didn't have a chance to rectify that blemish ~ such a shame
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I think it would have been really great if Series 8 finished on a winning quest, but then again at the end of that series they advertised for contestants for Series 9 (which of course, sadly never happened) so to be fair, the production team wasn't sure on how to finish Series 8, even if it was a tad sudden.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Yeah we tryed to get on after season 8 and got a letter back saying after 8 years we have brought the show to a close.. i wasn't the happy for many reasons.. we could have been in the line of winners LOL. atleast we knew are left and right lol.   ::)

But The reach wand..Bah. Hated that.. took Soooo long.
Nice idea bit didn't have to used quite as much as it was.   But can't help but wonder what a season 9 would have looked like.. maybe taking it off the year gave it alittle pride.. was did start to become a little silly and after its long break off the air its time to bring it back with new and fresh idea without forgetting what made it in the 1st place. can't wate to see how this live thing un folds.