Paul Valentine talks to Knightmare.com!

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Paul Valentine talks to Knightmare.com!

Post by Canadanne »

Yayyy! This is an interview I've wanted to see for years. :)

I take this as confirmation that Paul was the voice of the gargoyle in Series 3, as we thought.

LOL at the potion sabotage! Wonder what scene this was. I think some of his memories are slightly mixed up (e.g. the Fidjit / Boatman confusion), so he may not have the details quite right. Could it be when Sly drank Barry's freezer potion? He might have confused that with Motley being shrunk the year before.

How hilarious that he still has Sly's sign after all these years!! ;D

Oooh, interesting comments about the Geek Week episode! I'm really happy to hear that he would have taken part if asked, and I for one would definitely have preferred him to Sylvester the Jester. :P
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Id take the new Jester over motley anyway, just a pity they didn't come up with a different name, maybe it was done as a homage who knows.

I find it odd that he didn't like the Geek Week Ep yet still wanted to be in it ?? things like are very odd to me.

Anyway, it's great to hear from him.
But what do you mean by the Fidjit, Boatman confusion?? There was a Boatman in series 7.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Wow!! Didn't expect this! Really good interview and was intrigued by his comment on the geek week episode.

Would prefer Motley to Sylvester in the geek week episode. It's a shame Tim never asked Paul to do it.

Hope to hear more from Paul sooner rather than later!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

wombstar wrote:But what do you mean by the Fidjit, Boatman confusion?? There was a Boatman in series 7.
The Boatman he played was in Series 4 & 5. It was Fidjit who appeared when Motley took a break in Series 7. As far as I recall, the only people who rowed the boat that year were Grimaldine and Greystagg.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

For some reason I can never remember Fidget, and tend to get him confused with Gibbet.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

He was the world's most pointless character, so I'm not surprised you've forgotten him!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Gibbet was pretty redundant too.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Except Gibbet did get a kill, so he wasn't that pointless!

Fidjit was a confusing choice, besides being an irritating git and a replacement for Motley, who was my favourite character - I don't think he was developed enough to actually explain which side he was on: he acted very much like a PTB character, but in TQ's "Knightmare Top Trumps" section it claims that he's "occasionally forced into the reluctant services of the Opposition".

Eh? How? When?

It's not too surprising that Paul forgot about him!

And yes, the Boatman was from Series 4/5, rather than 7 - but Paul did get the quote spot-on: I'd love to hear him saying that again!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

wombstar wrote:Gibbet was pretty redundant too.
Gibbet may have had limited impact (two scenes, a single close-up, no end credit) but I wouldn't call him redundant. On the contrary, he had a definite purpose: Level 2 wellway guard. He was only seen twice because only two teams in Series 1 got that far. And as Alec Westwood told James in his 2012 interview, Gibbet didn't make it to Series 2 because Tim Child was seemingly responding to complaints.

Back on topic: well done to Alan for making contact with Paul Valentine. Paul doesn't seem to realise how elusive he was! He refers to a London residence, which bodes well for any future Knightmare.com or Knightmare Live events organised in the capital.

It never occurred to me that Paul might have been offended by the Knightmare Geek Week episode, let alone doubly offended. But as someone who didn't warm to Jester III and can't get to grips with his name, I can fully understand it.
Canadanne wrote:LOL at the potion sabotage! Wonder what scene this was. I think some of his memories are slightly mixed up (e.g. the Fidjit / Boatman confusion), so he may not have the details quite right. Could it be when Sly drank Barry's freezer potion? He might have confused that with Motley being shrunk the year before.
Or, since he refers to an urn rather than a bottle, perhaps he was half-remembering the mug in the drinking scene in Julie's Series 7 quest. Either way, there isn't a known Motley scene that quite matches the one he's describing.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Drassil wrote:
Canadanne wrote:LOL at the potion sabotage! Wonder what scene this was. I think some of his memories are slightly mixed up (e.g. the Fidjit / Boatman confusion), so he may not have the details quite right. Could it be when Sly drank Barry's freezer potion? He might have confused that with Motley being shrunk the year before.
Or, since he refers to an urn rather than a bottle, perhaps he was half-remembering the mug in the drinking scene in Julie's Series 7 quest. Either way, there isn't a known Motley scene that quite matches the one he's describing.
I doubt it was that scene, as he can see what's in the mug before he "drinks" from it, though it's entirely possible that he is remembering elements of both.

It does look like he gags a little when he drinks the Freezer potion! And he does have to stand still in that position for almost a full minute while Barry chats with Romahna, which would fit what he says about it seeming an age before the cameras stopped rolling. :)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Fidjit/Glenn, since you're active on the forum at the moment, I don't think this topic will be complete without a comment from you about the interview!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Haha XD always flattered to be recognised my good man.

I think it was brilliant that we finally get to hear from Paul after all these years :) and it strikes me that he still maintains interest in his roles, especially when it comes to the Geek Week Special. I do honestly think they should've at least given him a bell and asked him if he just wanted to star for the role :) one for the road as it were.

A lot of people found his role as Fidjit a bit pointless in season seven, but on the other hand it gave way for a fresh idea (even though it didn't work) and also gave an explanation to Motley's rather sudden disappearance in the following series :)

And as for his comment about the one off being "a shame" is reasonably understandable. Don't get me wrong though, I'll take anything than nothing :) If they (somehow) go for a new series they'd have to take what bits worked well and incorporate it into something new :)