Original life force

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Original life force

Post by rachelesque »

Rewatched s1e1 today and noticed things that I've never really noticed before about the life force.

Two things: Firstly, how did I only just notice that it pulsed green/amber/red depending on how full it was!

Secondly, was that a plume on top of the helmet or was it fire to show that the dungeoneer was burning with energy? On phone, but will try and post a picture later (unless someone wants to oblige :)) so you can see what I mean.
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Original life force

Post by rachelesque »

HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Definitely always seen it as a plume. Otherwise, it's a bit of a coincidence that it disappears at the exact moment that the central remnant of the helmet falls away.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Yes it IS a feather plume.

One of the original merchandise jumpers (sadly not the ones that were at the convention) shows the full image. The plume itself easily doubles the height of the head so it's no surprise it was largely cut from the animation and the centre section of the helmet pulls away in an upward direction.

I've had a look round for an image of the old jumper but sadly haven't found anything... :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyOE00E5K40
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by rachelesque »

HStorm wrote:Definitely always seen it as a plume. Otherwise, it's a bit of a coincidence that it disappears at the exact moment that the central remnant of the helmet falls away.
I could see an argument for that being the moment life force went from green to amber as well.

However, I will gratefully accept Snowcat's proof and am only a little sad that the dungeoneer's head is definitely not on fire >:-]
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

rachelesque wrote:
HStorm wrote:Definitely always seen it as a plume. Otherwise, it's a bit of a coincidence that it disappears at the exact moment that the central remnant of the helmet falls away.
I could see an argument for that being the moment life force went from green to amber as well.

However, I will gratefully accept Snowcat's proof and am only a little sad that the dungeoneer's head is definitely not on fire >:-]
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA.... HIS HEAD IS ON FIIIIIIIRE!

No, seriously, I saw a plume too, otherwise dungeoneers would never last more than a couple of minutes with a burning helmet (though some didn't) ;D
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I don't have it to hand as I write but initial prints of the first KM book (Can You Beat the Challenge?) had an advert in the middle for that original life force jumper - probably had a picture of the whole thing.

I eventually persuaded my mother to buy me one but by that time they'd moved on to 'phase 2' jumpers which just had a small Fright Knight logo on the breast. I still thought it was the bees knees though!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Here - full plumage :)
Sweatshirt ad
Sweatshirt ad
image.jpg (234.34 KiB) Viewed 19128 times
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Ooh, can people drag that image around to see it all?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

rachelesque wrote:I could see an argument for that being the moment life force went from green to amber as well.
Maybe, but I'd have expected a flame to get smaller at that point rather than disappear completely.

This has given me an idea though; wouldn't a season 8 life-force clock that took the form of a fire instead of a pie have been a lot more exciting?
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

HobGoblin wrote:Here - full plumage :)
LOL, that really is one heck of a plume - it makes the adventurer look more like a showgirl!
FoxyLF
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by FoxyLF »

Canadanne wrote: LOL, that really is one heck of a plume - it makes the adventurer look more like a showgirl!
Some spangly pants and there's a Las Vegas show right there! (I never noticed it was a plume either)
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

Canadanne wrote:
HobGoblin wrote:Here - full plumage :)
LOL, that really is one heck of a plume - it makes the adventurer look more like a showgirl!
Ever seen Miss Congeniality 2? FBI Agent in feathers and sequins ;D
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by rachelesque »

HStorm wrote:
rachelesque wrote:I could see an argument for that being the moment life force went from green to amber as well.
Maybe, but I'd have expected a flame to get smaller at that point rather than disappear completely.

This has given me an idea though; wouldn't a season 8 life-force clock that took the form of a fire instead of a pie have been a lot more exciting?
Most things that I can think of would be more exciting than that pie!

IIRC, one of the knightmare games used a candle for life force (and possibly time).
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I think the main problem with the life force in Series 8 wasn't the fact that it was a pie, as such... just that life force wasn't referenced at all. Food was still there to pick up and put in the knapsack, but now that you could carry items in the knapsack (including Reach), food just seemed redundant.

Even a perfunctory "you're wasting life force / time" comment from Treguard would have been nice, but I don't think that was needed, as there were red dragons to chase Dungeoneers out of rooms handy to make them get a move on. I don't think we'd have had an occasion with a Dungeoneer getting stuck in a room and their life force running out (as in S2, for example) - Richard's death in Episode 1 had that scenario and he was finished off by Bhal-Shebah.

If they'd have made a life force death animation (like they did with the first or second incarnations of the life force), then it would have probably been an empty plate - hardly dangerous, unless you happen to be incredibly hungry!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.