Eye Shield Footage Question

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Melusina
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Eye Shield Footage Question

Post by Melusina »

This is probably a really stupid question (and I'm sorry if I'm repeating another post) but:

As the Eye Shield footage was obviously pre-recorded and none of the team had any control over it, what was the Dungeoneer doing at those moments?

Taking a breather, sans helmet?
Just standing there?
Being led around across the set in the corresponding direction by the crew?
Something else?

Thanks
"It'll look good in Ruislip"
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Eye Shield Footage Question

Post by Canadanne »

Giles from Series 4 mentioned this in a YouTube comment last year: "During the "Eye Shield" bit one of the producers would put their hands on my shoulders and walk me around in a circle in the blue room. The advisors would be telling me what they could see and the producer would tell me not to say anything so it wouldn't be picked up on the mics. Sometimes they would whisper funny stuff to try and make me laugh though. I think the whole eye shield thing was "padding" as it was cheap for them to make. There was only the "Dash" spell that I remember being used in it and I was made to jog like mad during that part."
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

hrm, I wonder why they did it like that.

Seems fairly unnecessary to have them walk around.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Interesting, I guess that's what the dungeoneer had to do to make it work. Otherwise the interaction would'nt have worked. For example on Matt's quest in series 6, just after the spyglass scene with lord fear when he put his hand in the pool. When it went to the eyeshield scene Matt asked what came for him and the team replied. So I can see why the producer had to make the dungeoneer walk round in a circle, even though it sounds a bit mad.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Melusina
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Melusina »

Thanks, everybody. I kept thinking how silly the advisers were for giving the Dungeoneer directions when it was prerecorded, particularly when they said things like "Go back...No, the other way" during moments like looking out of the window. It's good to know the Dungeoneer wasn't just standing there, twiddling their thumbs...well, more like passing the two objects from hand to hand.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Eyeshield Footage Question

Post by Drassil »

Also a few bits and pieces on this subject here.
Melusina
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Melusina »

Thanks. :)