Knightmare - how I loved fridays...

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Knightmare - how I loved fridays...

Post by beamrider2600 »

This is my first post - so hi!

I have vivid memories of watching knightmare as a child. I must've been about 8 years old when I started watching; so that means I probably got to see series 6, 7 and 8.

School really sucked - I hated it; it was like tourture. I used to struggle through the week knowing that I'd get home on a friday to watch knightmare on CITV. I used to arrive home at about 4:30 - and I'd made it! through another week.
At 4:45, there was this videogames program on called bad influence - anyone remember it? They would preview/review videogames on all the different consoles at the time - that show was what got my hooked on videogames, which is now an on-going hobby.

Then, after bad influence, knightmare would come on (I can't remember what time exactly but somehow I remember the time for bad influence more). It was my favourite TV program. I was only young back then, and knightmare actually scared me quite a bit - I used to sort of believe it, that these children were actually summoned to guide one of them through the dungeons. I knew that it was just a game-show, but I didn't - its strange!

But anyway, I loved knightmare but half an hour later it would be over and "time would stand still" again. I couldn't stand that, I'd have to face a whole week of school again before I could get home on friday again! And that was how I lived my life; my only excitement was for the next episode of knightmare!

The last series (probably series 8) I thought was a bit sub-par. It was still great though but I did used to complain about how it wasn't as good. Then knightmare went off ITV and on to the Sci-fi channel for a bit - but the episodes shown were inconsistant in order and repeats.

I missed knightmare a lot, but I always thought to myself "what am I really missing, I'm 18 years old now and I haven't seen it for years so its probably rubbish compared to how I remember it". So, when I saw that it was on challange? last Saturday I didn't get too excited - it was already half way through but I thought I'd tune in. And... its still bloody good, but now it has that sort of tacky "retro" feel to it which only adds to it. My God! I still got that same sad feeling when it was over as well; infact I found it hard not to cry when I heared that theme tune again!

So I put a google search in for knightmare and it came up with this website as number 1 and at least I'm not alone in loving that great show!
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare - how I loved fridays...

Post by Malefact »

You're certainly not alone in loving Km! Have you heard the news about the new series being developed?

I remember Bad Influence, too (Slimey Furtlers!) although I think it was on Thursdays and Km was on Fridays.

Series 8 suffered from having a shorter run of episodes, I reckon. Time constraints meant that it couldn't have a grand finale ending like the previous few series. Bit of a shame, really - it was no way for a show like that to bow out.  :(

Anyway, welcome!  ;)
Subject to change.
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Slimey Furtlers!
LOL, I forgot about Slimey Furtlers! - and yes it was on thursday, but it was deffinatly at 4:45 because I remember the advert.
pickle
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by pickle »

8)absolutely how i felt about fridays. I was sitting on the bus,(or standing rather standing as it was back then!) thinking that knightmare was on in an hour. I was so annoyed when the bus would turn up late!
As a side note, i remember staying at my grandparents house and i went to see a film at the cinema(can't remember what) and i got back and found that my grandpa had forgotten to record it. The fit i threw at him!! man!  
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Nasty!  :(

I tell you something: if the new series manages to hit our screens, I'm gonna use THREE friggin' VCRs! I shall not be making any of the mistakes I made last time!  ;D
Subject to change.
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

I remember Bad Influence as well  ;D Went downhill quite a bit after season two, after Violet Berlin got relegated to a bit part  :-/ Was one of my favourites on CITV as well. I think I was a kid at the right time, I saw plenty of good programmes on CITV (Km, Bad Influence, the remake of The Tomorrow People, the Eye of the Storm etc etc).

Erm anyway, where were we... yes, Knightmare was definitely on Fridays and Bad Influence on Thursdays, towards the end of Km's run. I think it was always the last programme on CITV on whatever day it was on. I think the programmes that were on last were usually the best, normally I didn't bother watching any of the rest :)
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

Welcome to the Forums, I always felt the same way as you too :)

Every Friday was a time to get excited, as soon as I finished school, i would rush back as quick as I could, turn on my TV and tune into Knightmare, I never missed a episodes, and if I have plans on a friday, I would actually abandon them just to tune in.

When Series 8 has finished, I was so disapointed to learn that no more series were to be made(Fridays would never be the same again) Anyway 8 years later, My memories on Knightmare was still strong, and I never thought I would see any more episodes on TV again, but imagine my suprise at Christmas last year when I tuned into Challenge and was stunned to see a Programme called Knightmare about to be shown.

I was shocked and thought surely it cant be the same great show I know, but it was. And when watching it again, all the memories came back and I literally freaked out watching it, infact I freaked out so much, I forgot to get a tape out and record it(DOH) but luckly I recorded the whole series starting in January, and I can safely say(Just like you) that I still enjoyed watching every single minute of it just like I did all those years ago. It was also then when I searched for Knightmare sites on the web and found this one :)

anyway, lets hope that Challenge do get the rights to another series, according to some strong rumours, talks are now in progress to get another series, so we can only hope and pray now, Personally I want to view Series 4 again  ;D ;D

Simon, Sidestep to the Left(CLASSIC)  ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by Porsmond on 02 Apr 2003, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

anyway, lets hope that Challenge do get the rights to another series, according to some strong rumours, talks are now in progress to get another series, so we can only hope and pray now
Since Tim Child said it, I think we can safely say negotiations are (or at least were) going on. Exactly what Challenge? are looking to get and the chances of them ending up with any new rights is debatable. From the responses on their forum, I'd guess if they do try and get one other series, it will be Series 4.

And Hi and welcome, beamrider2600.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Like I said, I wasn't really bothered about it being on challange last saturday. I expected it to be rubbish like most of the things you loved as a child - but it was, of course, fantastic - and actually quite an emotional moment.

Yer, bad influence was good - really got me excited about stuff. I remember them predicting "we can't see playstation doing well, because Sony aren't used to competing in the field and it can never be as popular as Sega or Nintendo"!
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

I think way back in the mid 90's, the programme that came before Knightmare was Astro Farm! I got real excited when watching it as I knew what was comin on after it!

Does anyone remember Reboot, I think that was on on Thursdays at around 4.30 as well!

Welcome beamrider!
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Anyone remember associating Rude Dog and the Dweebs with it cos it came either before or after? I think at some point Peter Pan and the Pirates was around the same time later on. Don't know whether it was at the same time as or fater Km since it was broadcasted in 1990.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

Rude Dog and the Dweebs rings a bell! Cant remember it tho...

Peter Pan was cool, but I thought it was on BBC!
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Both of those were on BBC. I didn't really like them myself.

Animaniacs were good. It's a shame they stopped making them - loads of in-jokes!  :)
Subject to change.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I remember during series 8 on Friday mornings, I would say "It's Fright-day today", based on what Lord Fear said at the start of the series.
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

I think way back in the mid 90's, the programme that came before Knightmare was Astro Farm! I got real excited when watching it as I knew what was comin on after it!

Does anyone remember Reboot, I think that was on on Thursdays at around 4.30 as well!

Welcome beamrider!
Astro Farm!  ;D
Yes, I remeber it well and that did come before knightmare during the time that I used to watch it. I used to get all excited when the astro farm theme tune started knowing it wasn't long to go. "Astro Farm, Astro Farm - its a very friendly place!" (or something along those lines) - I'd forgotton about that.

And Reboot was good but I never totally understood it - and then in the later series it got really strange, didn't it; when "mainframe" was destroyed or something. I think the writers forgot that it was just a children's program; I'd like to see it again though.