Which rooms were designed but never used?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
PookasRule
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Which rooms were designed but never used?

Post by PookasRule »

So far, there are two rooms I know of that were fully designed/animated but were never used. These are the swinging axe room that would have appeared in Series 4 and perhaps onwards and the pink room with all the numbers on the floor.

Are there any more rooms we know of that were left on the cutting room floor and do any pictures exist of them?
I'm a Mogdred fan!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Which rooms were designed but never used?

Post by Drassil »

In Series 5, we only saw one full Level 3, and it was Winteria. I'm guessing that if Sarah (Team 3) had got further into her 'non-Winteria' Level 3, she'd have encountered various locations that we never got to see: perhaps rooms from the Mines of Malapith and Mount Fear. (Then again, maybe the production staff put the unused Malapith rooms to use as the Mines of Gore in the following series, so as to avoid 'wastage'.) Without confirmation from someone whose name begins with a 'T' and ends along the lines of 'im Child', or from an associate of such a person, this is all just speculation. ;)

This page, scanned from a 1987 magazine article (all 4 pages available on knightmare.com), gives a stirring glimpse of a dual staircase room that never made it into a quest.

Continental Knightmare remakes Le Chevalier du Labyrinthe and El Rescate del Talisman feature a mixture of familiar rooms, familiar rooms with alterations (example here), and unfamiliar rooms; and it's possible that some of the latter were originally designed for Knightmare. Watch the episodes that are on knightmare.com and you'll be able to decide for yourself. :)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Pookas Rule wrote:Are there any more rooms we know of that were left on the cutting room floor and do any pictures exist of them?
I don't know of any that were animated, but there was a competition run by CITV during season 2 where viewers were invited to design a dungeon chamber, ostensibly to be used in the next season. I can only very dimly remember the winning design (it was twenty years ago after all, and my ageing grey matter isn't all it was), but I do recall it had a lot to do with bells.

As it turned out, the design was never used.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

So much for the competition ::) Bet everybody was wondering who won it
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The winner was announced, Glen - obviously, otherwise how would I have known what the design was? It's just the design wasn't included in the next season after all.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Did anyone get a glimpse of it? Like in magazines and stuff? Bet the winner felt a bit ripped off... ;D

Oh well it's not the fortune I suppose more like (Hordriss voice) The Fame!

I'll bet Treguard was sitting in his chair leafing through all the drawings and paintings: "No, no, no, DEFINITLEY NO! No..."

I'm sure one of them could have sent in a picture of a room from the Playboy mansion, what do you think? ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The credits on the last episode of season 5 gave us a look at an unused causeway puzzle that took the form of a number grid leading up to five doors at the far end of the chamber. At first glance, the grid looked a little like the Speed Chess puzzle from season 2, because it was made up of black and white flagstones. But each stone had a number on it.

The exact way the puzzle worked is unclear but it does look very complicated. The numbers on the blocks would often change, and certain combinations of numbers on blocks that fell away would open and close different doors.

You can look at the puzzle in this clip...

http://www.knightmare.com/clips/series5/5endseason.rm