The life-force sequences

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

The life-force sequences

Post by Arcengal »

The topic is the reason I never watched Knightmare when it was on as a kid. That damn life-force sequence. I saw it during series 1 and 2 and that was enough for me. Perhaps if I saw later on then I would have watched it more? Never mind.

Anyways:

Series 1-5: Knight face

Undoubtably the best life force display, but did it have to be so scary? Even today as an 18 year old I get shivers when it gets nearer the red zone. And as for the "death" sequence...ARGH! Nightmare (no pun intended) city!

6-7: Walking figure

This was more kid-friendly but...it was boring. I couldn't even follow it properly on the site's clips. Was there a layer of armor, then skin, then the skeleton fell apart?

8: Cake

It's a CAKE. Not very scary. Even more boring in fact.

Do you agree with my opinions?
4 line sigs yada yada yada
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: The life-force sequences

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Do you agree with my opinions?
Yes. Although some might argue it's not a cake, but instead a pie, quiche, pizza, tart, torte or any number of delectables. ;) I asked a while back if anyone actually preferred the cake (sic.). No-one owned up to it.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

There are a few people who prefer the Walking one, though. I'm not among them - the skull was the original and best.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

I liked the Skull life force best even as a child! I think that the man walking and armor falling off was ok, but not as good as the skull one and thre food based one (:P) was just plane rubbish!! Whoever thought up that idea should be locked up in a room with a group of goblins or own the Dragon or something. Locked in the room with the knowledgeless, knowledge hungery Brollachan (I hunger feed me on knowledge)

Anyway maybe I was a twisted child (and maybe thats why I am so weird now  :o )
I Love Goblins
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

I agree. and who isnt scard of a decaying human face leading to a death.. thats what made the skull so good.. it was perfect, i love it.

i still think it looks like a pie and what a load of crap. Yes it was boring, Yes it was pointless,

walking man was a nice change but nothing special

What i also love about the skull is the sound/heart beats i cant remember if the others had that?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

I had nightmares about that skull! One of the first dreams I can remember having was the decaying form of that skull, except that the skull was laughing evilly...

But I still think it was the best one. The sight of the face peeling away and the skull falling apart conveyed a sense of urgency, especially during those successful quests when the Dungeoneer had to get back to Dunshelm in time. (Ben in Series 5, anyone?) And it was very disturbing, especially to a child.
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

The face rocked! How scary was it to see the dungeoneer's sprite of energy's skin peel off!
The skeleton sucked a bit, but it made a good scary clunky clanky noise when the armour fell off and you got a lil bit more scared with every clang.
The cheesecake sucked big time. Don't tell me it wasn't a cheesecake. It looked like a cake and it was undoubtedly cheesy.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Very clever.

And Ark is right about the tension - at that moment I found myself almost screaming at the screen telling them to get a move on, even though I knew what happened.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Steveir
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Steveir »

Easily the Skull lifeforce was the best, for me that was a huge part of Knightmare and I was gutted when they changed it to the armour.

Can't say it scared me much tho, I'd say the Cobra from Series 3 did that job well enough (I had, and still have got, a severe snake phobia - tho not as bad now as back then)

Steve
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The face. End of discussion.

You know what I'd REALLY like for series 9..........

(GG knows!)
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

You know what I'd REALLY like for series 9..........

[...]

(GG knows!)
An animated skeleton (the dungeoneer's own skeleton) eating an animated quiche (the dungeoneer's own homemade quiche)? ;)
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Now THERE'S an idea!!!  :D
Subject to change.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

So far, you've all agreed with me on the Life Force but what about the corridor-of-blades style instant deaths? The super fast decay of flesh was super scary.....and series 8 didn't have a death sequence. Did 6-7?
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

There were a couple of death sequences in series 6 but not any for series 7.

I think life force death sequences are essential personally. If nothing else, they can be used to censure a particularly graphic death!
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I think life force death sequences are essential personally. If nothing else, they can be used to censure a particularly graphic death!
Yep, the face especially gave a nice feeling that something nasty was going on without us having to see the gory details. (I suppose the exception is Series 8 Team 2, which was perhaps a little too graphic for the kidsies, and certainly a little out of character for the production team to do.) The walking skeleton falling apart could be quite creepy too, though, especially when it's accompanied by the Dreadnought trampling over the Dungeoneer. As ever, Firestones no good to Heggatty.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 12 Feb 2003, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.