TAPE PIRACY

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Re:TAPE PIRACY

Post by Aldarion »

keeds wrote:To be quite honest, the argument is long over.

The chances of a commercial release of KM DVDs are zero, it would have happened by now. A few people buying illegitimate copies has not caused this.

Whilst watching, recording and buying knock-off copies is illegal, so is recording songs from the radio, downloading ROMs of old video games and being drunk in a public house (Who can say they haven't?)

The demand for a proper release of KM DVDs would have been suficient to justify a release (Kids programes such as Rainbow and the Dreamstone were released on DVD after all!) but it never has and never will happen.

Unfortunately...
And that, my unfriend, why Chrysalis's argument is valid!! "Piracy" is - first and foremost - the public's response to the inarguable fact that copyright holders the world over are providing an inadequate and/or overly-expensive service!
It may lead to some nasty bgrs latching onto the "over expensive" idea and demanding huge amounts of money for a DVDR (that's human nature!) - but who's to blame? The copyright holders who create the need for such a "service".
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: TAPE PIRACY

Post by HStorm »

None of which hasn't been said before. Nor is it going to change the fact that selling episodes is illegal, or that it violates the rules of Ebay. Nor is it going to change the fact that people got into trouble with the copyright-holders a few years ago, and it is quite possible that it will happen again if Granada Media find out.

I'm sorry to sound crotchety, Aldarion, truly I am, but this really is one of those arguments that should just be dropped, and I'm sure I'm not the only who's fed up of it. We've been over all this ground so many times before (not just on this thread), and it seems that every few months someone else always arrives and insists on digging the issue up again. And they never say anything new, and so we end up having to repeat the explanations we've already given many times before.

What's the point of prolonging the argument any further? It's not going to change anything until GM's stance changes, and there is no sign whatever that they are even prepared to *discuss* Knightmare with the fans, let alone change their policy.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

I wish I'd spotted this at the time...

Post by Drassil »

http://www.knightmare.com/forum/viewtop ... =90#p30967
Billy wrote:An unrelated American comic.
Of all the forum members who could have said those words, it was a Englishman called Bill(y) Hicks. Just wonderful. :) I only wish I'd spotted it at the time, as it was the kind of light relief this topic needed!
Valafor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Valafor »

For god's sake people do this all the time.... i was almost fined £1000 for having an illegal copy of Scott Pilgrim VS The World.... Guys please be very careful what you buy and only buy from acredited sources.... you could lose a lot of money >:D
I am RUSSIAN i feel no paaiiinnn
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Valafor wrote:For god's sake people do this all the time.... i was almost fined £1000 for having an illegal copy of Scott Pilgrim VS The World.... Guys please be very careful what you buy and only buy from acredited sources.... you could lose a lot of money >:D
Listen to his words of wisdom. Trust me!
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Re:knightmare dvd

Post by Picklemyfav »

HStorm wrote:Yes, the YouTube episodes are illegal too, and people shouldn't really do it because it'll discourage TV channels from buying the broadcast rights. But at least the YouTube users don't charge money for them. It's piracy-profits that are the real evil.
I was wondering about youtube....... If the youtube ones were legal or not..... That's a bit of a pain that they're not that legal.... As it is the only way when not at Hansel that I can watch Knightmare. We did have Sky once but the Sky box kept breaking down and Sky doesn't really care about their customers that live in the middle of nowhere so it ended up getting cancelled. Its not always on Challenge when i'm away at Hansel. If we had an official high class dvd of Knightmare with all the series I wouldn't need to worry about Youtube.

Other idea that just came to me. Why don't you have an official Knightmare Youtube channel with high quality episodes [if you don't have an official channel already] and let the young ones like me [and younger] find it. You can mention the official legal channel on the forum.

Is it legal to watch uploaded progammes on youtube or not...... If not :-[ I hope i'm not in trouble..... GULP!
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Re:knightmare dvd

Post by Mystara »

Picklemyfav wrote:
HStorm wrote:Yes, the YouTube episodes are illegal too, and people shouldn't really do it because it'll discourage TV channels from buying the broadcast rights. But at least the YouTube users don't charge money for them. It's piracy-profits that are the real evil.
I was wondering about youtube....... If the youtube ones were legal or not..... That's a bit of a pain that they're not that legal.... As it is the only way when not at Hansel that I can watch Knightmare. We did have Sky once but the Sky box kept breaking down and Sky doesn't really care about their customers that live in the middle of nowhere so it ended up getting cancelled. Its not always on Challenge when i'm away at Hansel. If we had an official high class dvd of Knightmare with all the series I wouldn't need to worry about Youtube.

Other idea that just came to me. Why don't you have an official Knightmare Youtube channel with high quality episodes [if you don't have an official channel already] and let the young ones like me [and younger] find it. You can mention the official legal channel on the forum.

Is it legal to watch uploaded progammes on youtube or not...... If not :-[ I hope i'm not in trouble..... GULP!
There are no legal episodes on youtube.
There are some legal clips on youtube that have been uploaded by ITV. They're about 3-4 minutes long.

We have an official channel (see the social media links at the top of the page).
We cannot upload episodes because the rights belong to ITV and they don't want to give the episodes away in this manner.

Technically speaking, watching illegally uploaded episodes could be considered to be illegal under UK law. Whether ITV consider it worthwhile to pursue you and whether they would succeed is a different matter.

Knightmare.com's policy is that we do not speak of it, nor condone it (even passively).
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

:-[ I didn't know that watching episodes on youtube was illegal. 8-o :-[ The only reason I asked is because I noticed youtube mentioned here. :'( :-[

Would it help if I made a grovelling and I mean a very grovelling apology? :-[ :-[

I am :'( very very :'( 1 trillion times sorry to everyone connected with Knightmare 8) for watching it on youtube. :'( I'll just have to content myself with watching it on challenge at hansel once in a blue moon. :'( The reason I say once in a blue moon is that the dates don't always match up with it being shown. :'( That's only happened three or four times counting the one where i found the show by chance. I really love Knightmare 8) and wish they had a DVD of it as It is one of the best shows ever to exist.
I'll just have to save up a million pounds [which will take forever with what we get] and ask the nice folk at ITV to make me a DVD of all the episodes. I'm counting postage in this.
Sorry ITV for watching it on YouTube. :'( Sorry Pickle. :'( Sorry Treguard. :'( Sorry Tim Child. :'( Sorry Timmy. :'( Please don't throw me to the goblins. I beg for mercy from you all. :'(
Bows at your feet and lowers head. Hoping for mercy yet not expecting any to be shown.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Would it help if I made a grovelling and I mean a very grovelling apology?
I would simply stop talking about it and relax in the knowledge that (at least to my knowledge) nobody has ever been prosecuted or even taken to court for watching anything on YouTube.
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

OK. Zips mouth like Zippy in Rainbow [Which is a programme I know of but can't remember it. Likely too young to have seen it]
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I've been looking over the last few messages in this thread, and it seems clear to me that it has well and truly run its course and is begging for a lock.

Before I do so, I'll summarise that facts just in case someone looks at the last message.

- There are no legal episodes of Knightmare available for purchase or download ANYWHERE.
- There are illegal copies around, often for a price.
- Yes, those full episodes on popular video sharing sites are illegal.
- If you involve yourselves with illegally copied episodes, you could be prosecuted.
- Tim has suggested that discreetly, non-commercially, trading episodes within the fan-base is unlikely to attract attention. However, this does not technically constitute permission nor a guarantee that you will not be prosecuted.
- Under the circumstances, this site also considers such things to be immoral, since it deprives the cast and crew (many of whom are friends of this site) from being rewarded. Such copying has also potentially damaged Knightmare's return in one way or another.
- We sympathise with the fact that there is no way to legally obtain episodes of Knightmare at present. However, every so often, attempts for episodes to be made legally available start to surface. Copying episodes makes it less likely that any such attempt will occur/succeed.
- It is against this site's rules to solicit or request any copyrighted material. This includes links or any instructions on how to obtain such material.
- There really is no point in digging this issue up. We've heard it all before and it's not within our power to do anything at all. Let it lie or put your energy to better use, such as finding a way to legally make the episodes available.

Topic locked.