TAPE PIRACY

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:TAPE PIRACY ON EBAY!

Post by Malefact »

He's 'just' doing it for the money.
Subject to change.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Doesn't he know how easy he is to track! And piracy is a crime...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
dr_loaded
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dr_loaded »

i regret to say that i bought one of the dvd's off ebay. i knew it was a bootleg but whatever. i cant help it, i dont have sky and i get to watch the show once every 2 weeks or so so what am i suposed to do, i bought the dvd for £4 so big profit there for the bootleger.

i dont support the selling of bootlegs, in fact i'm very much against it. i do alot of bootleg music trading and i'd never sell my shows, but i have bought them from ppl bcos that is simply the only way to obtain them. and until a official dvd comes out (which i would buy straight away providing it was a complete series.) Has anyone thought of setting up a trading thing.

now i have series 1 on dvd i'd gladly make copies and TRADE it with people. i hope you understand my comments
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I wouldn't rather trade or copy any DVD's my friend. It will land you in trouble with Tim Child (Producer) who uses these forums too... So be wary... ;)
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Fidjit's right.... There WAS a tape trading market place set-up that used to operate from NKTP ('New Knightmare Trading Post', now sadly defunct...) but it had to be stopped because one or two bad apples started selling tapes at stupid prices and brought Broadsword and Anglia on us in force....

Legend has it That Mr Child was aware of it at the time and originally turned a blind-eye... he cannot anymore due to that event...

As you can imagine we're ALL desperate for an official release but you have to remember that the potential known market only spreads as far as the four walls that you're currently exploring here. Because of that, Piracy ('Robin Hood' or otherwise) can easily harm the prospect of an official re-release ( + KMVRs prospects) and has to be addressed ASAP...

Like many here, I don't have regular access to Challenge? either and have had to pester Friends, relatives and My Girlfriend especially (she's now a reluctant member of the community thanks to it!) in order to obtain the repeats.

I sympathise with those who are still struggling to see Knightmare but I stick to my point:-

Piracy is harming us..... NOT helping us! ???
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
sodoto
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by sodoto »

Hm, you might have thought though that some idiot spending £63 on a bootleg copy of Knightmare season 7 might be inspirational to Granada to finally getting around to releasing the DVDs... if people are willing to spend that much on one crappy video of the whole series...

Besides, we faithfully buy all the SG-1 episodes on DVD despite seeing them on TV...
Sidestep right.
www.playps2.net
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by www.playps2.net »

Piracy really is a question of ethics. What I would like to know is how many of those opposed to DVD/episode trading actually own copies of the shows? This in itself is illegal.

Those lucky enough to own the shows are blessed with being able to hold out for an official DVD release. But what about those that don’t? Just as it was back then, Knightmare is still extremely popular and lives in the hearts of many. Why be ignorant and selfish deny these fans revisiting the shows?

Yes, there is money involved, but when there is no alternative, what are your options?

I’m planning on making an unofficial slipcase for the DVDs and individual DVD sleeves. How many would be interested?
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Correction...
...It is not illegal to have your own copies of the show (on VHS), as you are legally allowed to watch the recordings once.

Selling copies on Ebay is entirely about making money in my opinion. It also damages chances of an official release being made on DVD or VHS. After all if an official release is made they will want to cover there costs, and if they think they won't be able to sell enough due to so many illegal copies then it won't get released. Why sell illegal copies which robs individuals of royalties etc?

For the record I am one of the people who on many occassions has reported these auctions. Not just to eBay as they do sod all, but also to people such as Tim Child who can pass on info to the necessary people to take action.

:)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
www.playps2.net
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by www.playps2.net »

And do you watch your recordings just “once”?

In terms of an official DVD, you have to ask yourself – is it really going to happen?

You have to look at the market – while many are quite happy to watch a bootleg copy once or twice, there are those that want own a lavish boxset of the series. And the truth is, there just isn’t enough people to make it an economically viable venture - you can’t just sell to a hardcore market, it’s too much of a risk.

As per my previous post, I’ll be doing some artwork and some mockup boxsets to hopefully inspire some sort of official DVD to be produced. But until the unlikely happens, let fans relive and enjoy the show the same as they did all those years ago.

Yes, there is huge potential to make loads of money on eBay, but no one is willing to supply for free on a mass scale. Where there’s demand there’s supply. For now, just let fans enjoy the show.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

If I recall once upon a time there was tape trading about (of Knightmare) on a not-for-profit basis, and many turned a blind eye to it. But then someone just had to go and try to make money from it, causing those turning blind eyes to have to take action.

"but no one is willing to supply for free on a mass scale"
That is because there is still costs to be paid. Even to date copyrights & royalties have to be paid, apparently alot of which going to the composer of the KM theme. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Anyone noticed the Knightmare t-shirts on ebay? Well as of this current moment none of them are genuine/official merchandise, and are there purely to make profit.
LordSmear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LordSmear »

I agree with playps2, I do not think a Knightmare will ever get a DVD release, if it does, only the first season will be released. If i can find someone to help me out with a couple of series, then i will.
Lordnikon99
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

DVD on Ebay

Post by Lordnikon99 »

Ebay Item number: 6416289265

Someone trying to cash in [again], I sent a complaint in to Ebay. If others who are concerned by this could do the same.

This can only hinder any prospect of an official release....

Cheers

Pete
Just how deep does this rabbit hole go?
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:DVD on Ebay

Post by Fidjit »

It happens I'm afraid mate! These people think they can get away with it...
Oimi
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Oimi »

I would love a DVD copy of the various series of Knightmare.. Man, if I could get my hands on some..
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Just a pity that there is NO official release of Knightmare by either ITV or Televirtual on either VHS or DVD.