Jesters

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Jesters

Post by Wolfshead »

Who was better, Folly or Motley?
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Jesters

Post by Thanatos »

Motley. Better acted, more character. Folly was skilfully played but I didn't like his style as much, and his laugh was (probably intentionally) irritating.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I've always thought that Folly was funnier.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Both! They were both great what more do you want
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

Folly. Why? Because he is, so there! :P
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

I suppose Folly's laughter was rather irritating, however I'm not exactly sure why they replaced him. I suppose they did serve quite diffrent purposes really.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Teah, they both did essentially the same thing. I think they were both great characteres and both essential to knightmare. However I think it was good that S7 had Fijit instead because mMotley was getting a bit old, but it was good to see him back. I'd have liked to see Motley or at least Paul Valentine had there been a series 9.
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

I say Folly. several reasons, first being he didn't have an endless supply of bad jokes. Secondly, I like to think Folly was the braver of the two as he stood up to Cedric. Third, Motley just got on my nerves. Nothing personal really, I just didn't like him as much.
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Perhaps Folly was braver since Motley often showed himmself to be scared on several occasions, probably most notably on series 8 when the red Dragon (Bah Shabbar I think) appeared. His only act of bravery as far as I can remember was when he rescued one team from Ariadne in series 4.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Dark Descender wrote: Motley just got on my nerves. Nothing personal really, I just didn't like him as much.
Snif :'( He was my old username
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Skeletor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Skeletor »

Folly without a doubt.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

I always quite liked Motley, but Folly had the sinister edge that was most appropriate in the first 2 series. I suppose this explained why it took a little while for Motley to come into his own.

In another thread (possibly in the VR section) someone suggested a dark jester, and I always thought that would be a good idea too.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

I like both, but Motley is my fave - it's that cheeky Cockney charm, I think ;D
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Willowherb »

I'm biased because series 3 (with Motley) was the first one I started watching in earnest, but Motley did seem to me to have more staying power. The best episode in series 2 with Folly was probably the one where he lost his laugh... Still, Dark Descender is right in saying Folly seemed braver. A dungeoneer could rely on getting some proper help from him - see how he faces up to and tricks Gumboil with the 'invisible philosopher's stone'!
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I think Folly had more of a questionable past about him...To me, at the time, he sure did not seem like someone who would always be on your side! He presented a task for many teams to get over, whereas Motley accidentally caused them a great deal more often.

Motley was at his best with Mellisandre imo, thereafter it seemed any female in the dungeon accompanied him! Folly remained mysterious, so I prefer that character, though he did have a curious scene with Gretal himself!

What is it with jesters and females in the dungeon? :)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'