Re:The Scary Medusa

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
steve1977
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

The Scary Medusa

Post by steve1977 »

Hi to all, although I like every series that has ever been shown on Knightmare I still like the very first ever series, the old style to it.

I was actually quite scared of the Medusa face shown on level 3, during I think series 2 and 3. Did it ever appear in series 1 does anyone remember.

How many times was the Medusa actually shown in the early series? I actually missed the episode where the whole team gets turned to stone, however I remember Julian from Oxfordshire and Leo quite well when the GRIP spell and the magic shield was used.

If I remember correctly did the Medusa used to be white but later on a red face? I heard that the advisors didnt have to look away in later episodes. Has the Medusa in the early series ever been any different colours.

I have watched the brief movie clip on this site inc. the Medusa where they get turned to stone but it doesnt come out as good as id like.

I mean I know I was quite young when I used to be scared of the Medusa (thats both the face and the weird sound it made in its cave), but when I play back the mini movie on this site and view a JPEG file also on this site they are either to small to remind me of how I used to be scared, and when I increase the size of the image or movie it becomes more pixelated.

I know Im 27 now and am far too old to be scared of anything like this but id be very grateful if someone could get me a nice big picture of the Medusa in the older series (both the white and the red to compare them), and have the clarity so good it reminds me of just how it was quite scary.

Even better a movie like the one of the site but with clearer sound effects of the Medusa's noise (this may be hard to do and the one already on the site maybe as far as you can go realisticly).

Did anyone else on hear used to be scared of the Medusa when they were young?

I remember at one time having to look away from the screen every time on level 3 the dungeonear walked thru the portal and I listened to find out what room they were in and I only looked up when I was sure the Medusa wasnt there (these days as I was much younger also made it more exciting to watch as I was scared in those days of just this Medusa), nope not even the gargoile really scared me, maybe a tiny bit but not really to that extent.

Did the Medusa ever appear on level 2? Once I did forget to look away when it appeard the Medusa, and I said damn, and got a big shock and kept thinking about it at night time in bed in the dark and used to think it would appear round my bedroom door.

I dont know why this was the case, I think the combination of the staring glare, the weird sound it made and the moving snakes all contributed to this, plus the room was dark and the fact it turned you to stone must all have somehow summed up to create this fear.

As well as a bigger clearer picture of the old Medusa's as the room was dark and its hard to get a good realistic picture to come out, also a longer clear sound of the Medusa would be appreciated. When I turn my speakers up on that mini movie its hard to hear the sound as realistic as id like it and the talking of the team distracts the actual sound of the Medusa.

Apart from that anything else on this unusual creature would be appreciated, I have read the Greek legend already.

Oh, I never got to see the Medusa in later series but saw the dark picture on the site of the Medusa in human form with snake hair (rather than a face on a wall, which was my favourite), its hard to make out this dark figure, did the Medusa ever speak or make a weird sound in later series?

I think thats enough for the time being.

Cheers to all,

from Steve (The Medusa fan you could say at the moment!!!)

;D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I've not seen many of Medusa's appearances on Knightmare, though I am fascinated by the mythology surrounding her. It is an effective acknowledgement of the fact that fantasy worlds such as Knightmare could not exist as they do without the rich heritage of Greek mythology!
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
steve1977
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by steve1977 »

Now im wondering whether in both episodes I saw of it, was the sound the same (something like as heard in that mini movie to mini movie you can only just about make out the background sound (hard to describe, maybe a bit like a horrow film sound, goes well with the snakes moving), or does the Medusa make like a 2nd world war air raid siren sort of noise in one episode.

Any way im keeping on about this post now so time to stop I think :)

I welcome any replies.
steve1977
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

How scary is the Medusa?

Post by steve1977 »

Hi to all, how scary is the Medusa's face that turns you to stone (in the old early series?), as seen on level 3 sometimes?

This also includes the scary sound that goes with this room.

:)
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The medusa only appeared three times in all - twice in season two and once in season three.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Yo, steve1977! Nice to have you here. :)

Yeah, the Medusa was quite something. I won't say too much about it because series 2 is now showing and I don't want to spoil things, but needless to say I believe we can expect to see one of the strangest deaths in the entire history of the show.

If you'd like a picture of the Medusa, I think there's one in the Series Guide. If you'd like to use it for anything, though, it might be best to check if it's OK with Illusion first as he took them.
Subject to change.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

I would have at most seen the 1 medusa appearance in S3 and if I did then i didn't remember it, so rewatching it she's not really scary to me these days and I have no idea what she would've been like to me as a kid. Probably pretty damned scary knowing me as a kid.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I remember she scared me. The eyes looked so crossed over and so evil. I didn't realise that the snakes were her hair, as at the time I didn't know enough about the legend.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

*A Goblin Horn Sounds and The Dread Goblin Master appers.*

"HA If you think The Maduser was scarey wait till I'm threw with yer. Now stand Still Knewbie because yer can't run an there's no weres to hide."

"It's off to Mt Fear for you unless you has any gold I might like. Otherwise................."

"IT'S THE IRONS FOR YER."

"HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE.........LOVELY."

I only remmember the Maduser apperence in S3 from when it was shown on Challage Last year but I must say I thought it/She was a good puzzal/Trap for the Dungeon.

Pity she was under used though.

But that probabley adds to her norteriaty amoungst KM Fans.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Skarkill don't you mean "Stone me your lordship" (from series 6).

Yes it is interesting what Medusa can do. I wouldn't say anymore as it'll make my post a spoiler.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
steve1977
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by steve1977 »

Series 2 now showing? Thats great, I didnt even know it was showing :o ive been missing out big time i guess.

What day of the week, channel and time is it on please, oh I never check the TV guide when I should.

:) might be able to bring back some happy memories (and some scary ones, wa ha ha)

many regards to all fellow dungeoneers
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Knightmare.com always displays info on its home page.

It's being shown on Challenge (who have the rights to all 8 episodes). Currently it is on weekdays at 7:30pm, and is currently repeated at 5:00am (although this changes a lot).
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

When the episode with the Medusa death is broadcast (should be tomorrow), I'll make an AVI capture of that scene at 384 by 288, 25fps (VHS resolution). That should be high enough for you to see and hear the scary scene!

If I remember right, the Medusa was a 4 or 5 frame animation. Therefore I should be able to make yet another Animated GIF of it. That is, if I can manage it without getting turned to stone first! :-X
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
steve1977
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by steve1977 »

Hey thanks very much indeed. Should be interesting, this is an excellent site and msg board.

I only discovered it 3 days ago. I would be most grateful for this cos, unfortunately I havent got the challenge channel which its broadcast on, I only have Freeview.

So thought I was missing out.

In a way its a coincidence I only discovered this board a few days ago and one of my favourite versions of the series is currently being televised! Quite amazing.

I hope to work up to a Knightmare expert one day (without getting too many nightmares in the process!!) :)

When I was young I always used to dream of how cool it would be to appear on Knightmare (or even better, to work on the Knightmare productions), I wonder how many others on this board use to have similar wishes?

All the best
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

The Medusa scared the bejeezus out of me when I first saw it. (I was 7). That creepy music really got to me.

I really like how Treguard handles guiding the team through the room. (the one that doesn't get killed obviously) Saying no more in case of spoilers, but believe me, it's fab.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law