Which Treguard was better?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.

re-assistant (s1-3)
50%
ith Pickle (s4-6)
29%
ots of assisting, with Majida (s7&8)
21%

Total votes: 24

MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I may have got these a bit wrong if you know what I mean, but I thought I'd do this due to the on going debate. Can't remember if something like this has been done, so sorry if it has been.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Which Treguard was better?

Post by beamrider2600 »

I think Treguard as a single character did better on his own - but overall the show worked better with an assistant.
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Series 1 - 3
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I think assistants just got in the way and slowed the game down even more, while their hilarious (it says here) banter with Treguard turned him into a self-parody.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I believe all eras have their merits, although he was more of a Dungeon Master when he was on his own. He certainly seemed to have more mystery sorrounding him, yet when we aw more of his personality as the years went by, some of that mystery disappeared.

There were some veyr good moments with the assistants however.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Treguard was good on his own, and as HStorm said, the assistants tend to gum up the works a bit...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Willowherb »

Treguard in his pre-assistant days was more consistent with the Treguard in the books - a proper knight and Dungeon Master. I'll happily watch any of the series, but I don't think bringing in a second person was necessary.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

Treguard was better developed as a character when he had an assisstant with him. Having now seen some of Series 1 for the first time, I don't like Treguard as the sinister character who knows everything but won't tell you but much prefer the "mad Uncle" of the later years - especially when giving advice to the dungeoneers and his "neice" Majida
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Treguard was bonkers in series 1 and 2 (particularly 2). :) I think I prefer that ruthlessness. Back then, the Dungeon was "his lair". I found this more menacing than the situation in later series.
Subject to change.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I'd say he was better on his own, but Pickle was OK, but I never liked Majida.

I think though that he really needed a squire to be his assistant rather than an Elf.

Also I think there should've been an explanation for why Pickle was his assistant.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

I do like the early one.
He just seems to love the whole game.. and not caring if a team dies or not..
The later ones.. he was giving to much advice, and became far to willing to help out,

Did a great job in season 3,
And the 1st time with Pickle was good (Pickle 5 and 6 were terrible) which meant a few hints may have been giving away but at the same time Treguard was also not going to give the game away.

Majida, was far better then Pickle.. didn't speak much, and the arguments was amusing.. but she did give so many clues away... not her fault she didn't right the script.. So i think its safe to say early Treguard,
Mind you he didn't have to compete with Lord fear then, he was in competitions with Mogdred.. Merlin was.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
mattymoo_goblin
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by mattymoo_goblin »

The addition of an assistant allowed Treguard to become more of a character himself because he had someone to interact with and he had more of a task to help the dungeoneers because he was on the side of the Powers That Be.
The problem when he was on his own he had very little to do and ended up popping through walls in every room of the dungeon saying "Warning Team" or something else lol.
You Have too Remember Pickle That This Is Not Game....
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

And what's wrong with that? Remember, it's the team's adventure, not his. He was there to hint and advise, not take control.

I wouldn't say Treguard became more of a character with the help of assistants anyway. He just got caught up in a lot of inane banter that made him seem like the straight man in a comedy double-act. That's not broadening a character, that's parodying it.

And I think taking away his neutrality was a mistake because a lot of the time it made him look rather stupid. Where the teams needed help, he had to keep quiet to avoid giving the game away. In the early years that was easy enough because he was neutral and so he just chose to keep his mouth shut. However in later years when teams needed help, he gave the impression of wanting to but not knowing what to do, even at times when it was very obvious. As a result he sometimes seemed a bit dense.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

I preferred S4-6 of Treguard, not because of the assistant, it's just that he himself changed!

In the first seasons he is a little too dramatical, I preferred the cooler normal voice rather than one with a whole range of notes thrown in for effect!
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

The peak of the pantomime came at the end of one of the episodes of series 5, where the camera starts moving away because Pickle has frightened/bored/confused the audience once too much:

Treguard: "I say, you lot! Don't forget to see the next episode of Knightmare!"

Camera goes to black.

Treguard: "Bah! They've gone!"

Hilarious, but not in the way Treguard would have liked it. Compared to series 1, I much prefer the "Why should you care?"
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"