Those that were denied...

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 8 Team 2

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

By the way, what other objects were there in the clue room besides the red key and the Sight potion (which the team took). Can anybody remember?

And I think that if they did get through the Corridor of Blades successfully, they would have been all right - having the sight potion (if it was possible - I assume it was) would have been a 'bonus' to make it easier, don't you think? Because other teams had to go through the Corridor of Blades 'blind' without any earlier error.

Also, a team once in series 5 (according to the series guides) missed their stop on the Descender and had to go through the Corridor of Blades. If they had got through, what do you think would have happened?

I know I am digressing from the original subject, but that happens quite a lot on these boards.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Those that were denied...

Post by DavidNewton »

The team who missed the stop on Series 5 didn't have a chance - a blade got them within two seconds as they entered the Corridor, with none of Pickle's usual help at the start.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Unfair deaths

Post by SrWilson3S »

I was watching some episodes of KM series 3 & 4 earlier and I have to say S3 team 2 and s4 team 1 deaths were kinda unfair first team 2 series 3 how on earth were they meant to know they had to dispell the DANCE spell they put on McGrew I mean he hardly even begged them and Only really quietly said mercy no where near loud enough to even hint they are meant to listen to his pleading this seemed very unfair to me viewing the episode again.
Also s4 team 1 BUT and Transformation again no clue whatsoever what BUT did and Hordriss made out the TRANSFORMATION spell to be the powerful one and the BUT one to be the nobler one again seems like there was deliberatly no hint in hopes of not letting team 1 win a series.
Cmon if it was you, you would have gone for transformation too since its sounds more like the type of spell you would need against mogdread considering there was no hint at all what the BUT spell does.

I found these deaths kinda unfair to me so whats yer views?
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Re: Unfair deaths

Post by Purgatory »

unfair? the teams where never pushed into death.. they done it them selfs for doing the wrong things
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Cull
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Cull »

Well, I can see your point on those two particular deaths. My thoughts on them:

S3T2: I agree, it was kinda unfair. It was obvious that the team needed to cast the spell to save themselves, but it was far from obvious that they had to dispell the magic. It wasn't really until Cliff was almost through the door that McGrew started pleading for mercy, and even then there wasn't anything to really suggest that they should have dispelled. On one side it's a shame because the team had been doing fine up to that point. On the other side they did get to go out in one of my favourite death sequences (I love the way the Life Force clock suddenly accelerates when the sword hits them)!

S4T1: Again, not entirely obvious what they had to do. It was obvious they had to use magic, but which one? I guess they should have realised that it would have taken them a while to cast "Spellcasting: T-R-A-N-S-F-O-R-M-A-T-I-O-N", and they were in immediate danger, so I can see how they should have realised what to do. Again, a shame that one mistake cost them an otherwise fine performance, although this time round I wouldn't call it unfair as such.

Another suggestion for an "unfair" death - Season 2 Team 5. Ultimately they died because they didn't understand the jumbled message given by the Oracle of Confusion, so took the message "Take the word but do not read" literally, where I think they should have unjumbled it to say "Read the word but do not take it", so instead of taking the scroll (I think it was a scroll) they should have read it and took the other two items, thus having the glove to use against the Catacomb Bite (and the scroll may have instructed them of this). However, I do kind of see this as a "demo run" of the Oracle, and having realised how they'd made the message overly confusing they decided to make it less so for season 3. :)

Similar to this was Season 4 Team 5, where the team went up against Merlin's backwards questions. How were they supposed to answer? Should they give him correct answers or make the correct answers backwards? Did "Falsehood" mean they were right or wrong? Did they actually get the spell or not (I'm assuming they didn't, but again it wasn't clear)? Again, something very confusing that may or may not have been an unfair death.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

Team 5 in S4 coulda got through the block and tackle even without magic but then I think they would have become Ariadnes lunch for having no sprint spell.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

Thing with t1 Series 4 I mean cmon BUT It doesnt even sound like a type of spell to use in immediate danger. mad confusion there.

But at least we both totally agree on S3 team 2 there was absolutly no obvious hint they had to dispell - meh series 3 was too harsh lol.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I don't mind S4 T1's demise as far as unfairness is concerned.

I do agree to an extent, however, on S3 T2. They may not have been the greatest team ever, but I think they deserved a bit better than what they got. It's so hard to hear what McGrew is saying with the silly music and the accent and the fact he blabbers incoherently until they're almost out the door. Considering the amount of times teams hang around after dealing with such a challenge only to be told by Treguard to get a move on before the magic runs out/creature comes back/etc. I can see why they made a quick getaway. Pity the door wasn't on the other side of the room, so they might have had more time to get the message, or that Treguard didn't give a little hint. I can definitely imagine Pickle or Majida giving a hint. ;) In a sense, I guess they were doomed by their own decisiveness in getting out, a little like Series 5 Team 2 who forgot the little clue from Gwendoline about the gold in their eagerness to get away from Ariadne.

Oh, Merlin and his silly opposites. I definitely think that was unfair and downright surreal. Lock the old fool up in some stocks and throw away the key.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 04 Nov 2003, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Cull
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Cull »

Thing with t1 Series 4 I mean cmon BUT It doesnt even sound like a type of spell to use in immediate danger. mad confusion there.

Ah, but maybe the spell wasn't BUT? Maybe it was actually BUTT, and once cast something would appear and sit on Mogdred? :)
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

I do agree to an extent, however, on S3 T2. They may not have been the greatest team ever, but I think they deserved a bit better than what they got.
Yeah, I didn't think they were all that bad either.  However it's worth bearing in mind that they actually got the fourth furthest out of all the teams in Series 3, only being bettered by the three that made it into level 3.  So they didn't do that badly, really, even if they were killed off for not un-DANCEing McGrew, which I don't think I'd have done either given his apparent desire to cleave them in 'twain without a second thought.  He was much less murderous when encountered by later teams ;-)
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

Well S3 Team 2 when I saw I didnt even hear McGrew saying anything. Even when he did then it didnt sound too important. Treguard didnt even hint them. Slightly unfair but maybe not
frieza
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by frieza »

I agree with the comments made about the team in series, where Merlin asked all the questions backwards- how the **** were they supposed to respond!?! And was what they said right or wrong? That was a stupid puzzle- BTW does anyone know the right answers to that set of questions?
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Someone posted the answers on a topic ages ago, and I remember that they made perfect sense when I read them. Unfortunately I've completely forgotten what they were.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I think that was me. My theory was that everything was backwards with the exception of a couple of very tiny snippets. The thread should still be around somewhere.
Subject to change.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I personall think series 8, team 3 were hard done by - the majority of the conversations, as a rule, tend to be 'automatic' in the way they turn out, i.e. if a team need to give a character an item in return for something, it's usually pretty much impossible to go wrong if they have the required item. With this team, Maldame offered no help in returning the amber globe, and they died as a result (yes, they said sidestep left instead of right, but Treguard said that they could have got 'some extra magic' from Maldame - it might well have been contrived so that they would inevitably die without the 'extra magic', which seemed to be the general concensus from previous discussions about whether the sight potions/spells were essential or not. And I can't think of anything else but a sight potion or spell that they should have got).

Also, series 8 team 2, again, they let the conversation work out 'automatically' and gave away the sight potion that they needed. And they got no hints about Honesty Bartram like team 3 did (first Stiletta gave them a warning, then they saw Lord Fear telling Honesty Bartram not to give the team a RISKY potion - making it obvious that the RISKY potion was needed).