Those that were denied...

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Those that were denied...

Post by pjmlfc05 »

There must have been a reason why Barry needed to use the sight potion for play your cards right. Otherwise it would have been a pointless exercise. I get that teams should not rely on magic to conquer a puzzle but for the odd scenerio the producers must have changed certain rooms so magic must be used in order to complete them to mix things up. Otherwise the rooms would have been too generic. And that would have made the puzzles boring and predictable.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

The sight spells/potions feel a bit like blocking off the gutter lanes in a bowling alley ie a bit of unnecessary hand-holding. When Barry used it for PYCR it made it easier for him to walk from block to block but I'm not sure the producers could have forced a kill if he didn't have it; the gameplay was the same as before.

These post death explanations do seem to just be a bit of colour added to the script - you could take any death and say 'magic would have helped here team' and who's to say any different.

As for the mechanics of the sight spell, the later style helmet does seem to be built around a 90s virtual reality headset so I assume dungeoneers were allowed to see the rooms from within the visor.
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

But if the sight spell helped him jump the blocks would they have killed him off if he didn't have it? Many teams did it without a spell I think.

If I team is good enough to navigate they're player without the need for magic I think that's far more rewarding, and the production teams killing them off for making a mistake.

It's the end of level quests in later series that make laugh, what if they didn't get back with the hammer or lightning rod? sometimes Km was fixed.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:But if the sight spell helped him jump the blocks would they have killed him off if he didn't have it? Many teams did it without a spell I think.
If i remember correctly every team that took on play your cards right used the sight potion.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Are you sure? I wonder why that was.
Save the sight spell for the blades.. wouldn't need an advisor lol.
Mind you even with the sight spell in PYCR they still needed to be advised, why?
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I guess the dungeoneer could see the cards but maybe not their feet. So they couldn't really walk unaided. Also they couldn't see the blocks in the first place as they are in a blue room so of course there were no blocks!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

The screen in the visor was tiny, so they could see the position of the cards but not really make out what the symbols on them were.
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

For me one of the most unfairly denied teams was Leo's in Series 3. They had performed really well and Leo interacted well and didn't just wait to be told what to do all of the time. To fail because they got just one (very hard) riddle wrong seems desperately unfair. :-/
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

TimeMaster wrote:For me one of the most unfairly denied teams was Leo's in Series 3. They had performed really well and Leo interacted well and didn't just wait to be told what to do all of the time. To fail because they got just one (very hard) riddle wrong seems desperately unfair. :-/
Totally agree with this and along with Martin, also in series 3 perished just because of a very hard question. I guess the problem was it left the producers no choice after they both got their questions wrong but to kill the teams off.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

So the sight spell doesn't really help the team in any way? What's the point in just being able to see the cards.. that's not going to help!! It sounds like a half baked idea to me that didn't quite work.

The one that bothers me in series 3 was the death involving the axe and the tiny ledge, I can't recall how well the team did up to that point but that room was deadly. It was only used the once, maybe because it was too hard?
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:So the sight spell doesn't really help the team in any way? What's the point in just being able to see the cards.. that's not going to help!! It sounds like a half baked idea to me that didn't quite work.

The one that bothers me in series 3 was the death involving the axe and the tiny ledge, I can't recall how well the team did up to that point but that room was deadly. It was only used the once, maybe because it was too hard?
Yes the room was only used once. It was a bit harsh because the path wasn't very good and it was very zig zag from what I remember of it. It would have been very hard for any team to navigate the path.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

It was a good room to force a kill, the way the path really narrows and twists, the axe making matters worse as the team panic.

While it wasn't an unfair death the one I really feel sorry for was the team to slightly over stepped their jump in Merlin's room.. that was so unlucky.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Yes, in practice, the sight potion/spell/whatever is a macguffin. It's sole purpose is to be collected so that you can use it. I discussed it with Tim a while ago, and he mentioned that they were never entirely satisfied with it.

In practice, I recall that one team dies as a result of not having sight when a troll steps in front of the advisor's "view" - at least according to Treguard. I guess that's the sort of situation in which sight might be useful. But, again, it's a bit of a fix. They justified the use of the solution by introducing a new problem.

I don't think any of the team were particularly happy about how this feature worked out.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:Yes, in practice, the sight potion/spell/whatever is a macguffin. It's sole purpose is to be collected so that you can use it. I discussed it with Tim a while ago, and he mentioned that they were never entirely satisfied with it.

In practice, I recall that one team dies as a result of not having sight when a troll steps in front of the advisor's "view" - at least according to Treguard. I guess that's the sort of situation in which sight might be useful. But, again, it's a bit of a fix. They justified the use of the solution by introducing a new problem.

I don't think any of the team were particularly happy about how this feature worked out.
If the producers were not happy with the sight potion/spell could the have not dropped it?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Not after they've filmed it, no.