Wall monsters

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Re:Wall monsters

Post by Wolfshead »

Spellbound walls eh hmm
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

i weould have found it funny if they had ate the gold tried to use the stale bit of food as abribe to Olaf (he was stupid anyway) and well then given the key away as a present -they certainly woudl not havr got far there would they???
knightmaredave
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Favourite clue room guardian

Post by Wolfshead »

Who is your favourite cue room guardian? (You can't have the Brollachon because he could appear anywhere)
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:Favourite clue room guardian

Post by TheBrollachan »

awww :P
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

Golgarach and Oakley are my favourites.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

I like Golgarach, and the way he said 'Listen, puny Flesh' like no other. Clue rooms should have proper guardians, where dungeoneers have to earn the correct choice of objects. Scrolls in the later series were good to keep the pace quick, but there was much less effort needed to choose well.
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

I agree guardians were essential at least at level one.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Wall Aid 11

Post by knightmaredave »

i loved the brangwen she or brangwen b***h as i called her especially if she was in a mood poor julies team were denied further knowledge even with 2 correct riddles rather unfair i thought. igneus was also well a treat
knightmaredave
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

and looking at this i first posted something about wall monsters in 2004 shows how good my memory is lol still prefer brangwen tho!! always will
knightmaredave
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Seeing as I've shoved it in my signature I figured I'd better mention the hilarious line from my particular favourite of all the stone-faced personalities...

"I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!"

Oh, yes it is, mate. Even watching that first time round as a nine-year-old that name raised a smirk or two.

Incidentally, would I be right in thinking that the original three wall monsters were something along the lines of Spitting Image puppets - i.e. that's someone's hand in a rubber mask, as opposed to a full face covering? Can't think of any other way they'd have done that... especially given that the two actors both appeared in full face shots in other parts of the quest...
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

A couple of times with Igneous, look very carefully and you can see a small breathing-hole in the mask where Edmund Dehn's nose is.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Now, that's odd. I'd almost have expected a full face-mask to be destroyed every time it had to be taken off, but it always looks like the same one. But it must have been a lot easier than it looked... I'm sure there were scenes in series 2 where the troll was followed by Olgarth or Granitas... and they'd not have been able to keep the kids waiting in the grren room for hours while Guy Standeven had a whole new mask made.

As far as I can see, the only difference between Olgarth and Granitas is Olgarth has a much larger crack in his nose. One day I'll get screenshots of the two side by side... even Treguard was confused once.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Eyeshield wrote: A couple of times with Igneous, look very carefully and you can see a small breathing-hole in the mask where Edmund Dehn's nose is.
That doesn't tally with what Edmund Dehn has said about Igneous' mask:

'There was the process of taking a cast of my face in plaster of Paris for the Wall Monster's mask. Very alarming! Your whole face covered completely for an hour or more except for 2 small breathing holes - 1 for each nostril!!! The masks were odd as well. They had eye & mouth holes, but no nose holes - different breathing patterns!'
- http://knightmare.com/fanstuff/interviews/eddehn.htm
Ironlord wrote: I'm sure there were scenes in series 2 where the troll was followed by Olgarth or Granitas... and they'd not have been able to keep the kids waiting in the grren room for hours while Guy Standeven had a whole new mask made.
In fact, I think that the Troll only appeared in Level Ones alongside Igneous. This is certainly true of Quests 6 (Akash) and 12 (Steven).
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

The hole must have been to aid ventilation, even if it wasn't where his nose was! It probably worked in the same way as those little airholes in the lids of kiddies' plastic cups, to prevent a vacuum from being created. I suspect they realised that wall monster masks needed these airholes after Guy Standeven kept sucking his into his face during the first episode. The mask was obviously modified in time for the next episode, and I suspect a small hole was the key.
Last edited by Eyeshield on 28 Jan 2008, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Eyeshield wrote: I suspect they realised that wall monster masks needed these airholes after Guy Standeven kept sucking his into his face during the first episode.
I've just watched that one... and nothing makes it more obvious that it was a face mask than this. Other than that GS's eyes were just about visible in the eye holes...

The banter between Olgarth, Granitas and Treguard seems a lot more involved in series 1 than series 2. Maybe they'd run out of things the two monsters could say about each other by then?