Series 3

Fan
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: The glory of Series 3

Post by Fan »

Series 3 is one of the best out of the 8.  But most of the other series were great as well because of Pickle, Lord Fear, Smirkenorff etc.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I liked all the characters and events and stuff in Series 3, it's true, but I much preferred, in terms of characters, the more structured, scripted approach they had in the later series', becuase plots, um, well... I like plots.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
dragonfollower
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dragonfollower »

wonder if series 9 will be just as good?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I agree - I liked having the plotlines running through the game in the later series. Having said that, because we knew what Lord Fear was up to because of the spyglasses, he wasn't as scary. When Mogdred popped up you didn't know what was happening (and I'm sure his evil laugh had something to do with it, too!)

TeleVirtual has said that they want the new Km to be very simple and retro-looking, but still with good graphics.

Km was heading in the direction of seeing dungeoneers and VR anyway, in the last couple of series. As I said before, it seems they're taking a step forward and backward simultaneously.

(I hope they don't fall over!  :( )
Subject to change.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Oi, that was my joke!
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I was saving you the trouble of repeating it!  ;)
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I actually like Series 3 for not wasting too much time with soap opera. I suppose the two things it does miss are a really good set of characters and a few excellent set-piece puzzles.

Although the puzzles are good and keep the pressure on, there's none that really stand out, like the Block and Tackle, Corridor of Blades, Play Your Cards Right or Trial By Spikes. Although you might say at least in Series 3 teams are more judged by overall performance and not by performance on one or two floor puzzles. (Of course, they're also judged on correct riddles.)

In fairness, a lot of the characters in Series 3 are pretty awful. I really like Mrs. G (obviously!) but she does grate after a while. Olaf is just dreadful, and I've never really thought Velda is worth much. The more I watch it, the less I like Melly, and Motley's debut is hardly fabulous, looking back. Thankfully there are some others who are fantastic (both the wall monsters, Morghanna, Hordriss and of course Treguard) and Motley does improve a lot as time goes on. For me, however, it's still not a patch on the cast at the end of the run, which is just brilliant. :)
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 26 Feb 2003, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Series 3 still remains the touchstone for all future series. Treguard's new low-key demeanour lasted all the way up to series 6 (for series 7 and 8 he seemed to dump the knight persona and be just your average guy) as did the new tunic. Motley and Hordriss remained right up to end - a testament to both the actors and their parts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only major weakness in series 3 is the sudden anti-climatic deaths in level 3. Series 4 had, I reckon, the best final conflicts of the lot. If series 3 had had them, it would have been perfect. It wouldn't have mattered if no teams won in that case - at least they'd have gone out in a blaze of glory instead of "oh dear, I've fallen off the ledge"/"oh dear, I've fallen off the cliff"/"oh dear, I've been zapped".
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

at least they'd have gone out in a blaze of glory instead of "oh dear, I've fallen off the ledge"/"oh dear, I've fallen off the cliff"/"oh dear, I've been zapped".
LOL. The dungeoneer should have been allowed to say these lines in each case, not just the final conflicts! Plus, of course "Oh dear, I've been slaughtered by some goblins" and "Oh dear, I appear to have stepped in some quicksand."
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

Oh, the goblins don't want the present...
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Glad so many people think series 3 is the best and I agree on these counts:

1.  No time wastage with spy-glasses and banter between Treguard and his assistants.
2. Less forgiving gameplay (failure to get something right was fatal rather than the 'well, lets let the kidsies off until they reach level 3' of the later series).
3. It had some of the best and most imaginitive characters in it such as Motley, Melly, Merlin, Mrs Grimwold, Hordriss, Mogdred, and many characters all played by Natasha Pope.  Better still, these characters had at least 2 braincells to rub together. :)
4. The game was actually played in the dungeon where it should be where the dungeon was at its most advanced.
5. The lifeforce sequence was at its most realistic and interactive during series 3.  It played a bit in virtually every dwarf tunnel and room.
6. Treguard was espcially well spoken in this series, no doubt benefiting from a relaxing holiday somewhere exotic and giving a chance to show off his new tan.

If Challenge got the rights to one series, I am glad it was this one.
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

I hope if a new series is made I hope it is more like Series 1,2, 3 then that laters series!!
I Love Goblins
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Why series 3 was the best

Post by KMFAN »

The key to a programme like knightmare is to have a real sense of edge and strong feel of isolation about it

The fact that in series 3 the game progresses from room to room, corridor to corridor, cliffedge to cliffedge helps maintain the 'isolation' feel which the latter series (which went out in the country) failed to capture as much.

But its not just the rooms that made it great. The 'spooky' life force logo and the music (intro and in goblin walkways) also contributed to give a real sense of edge about the game.

Plus I found this series had a quicker pace to it which also helped.

Series 3 rocked. Nuff said.
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:Why series 3 was the best

Post by TomDread »

I agree that this series was the best too, as well as many others in the forum agree with you as well. It had the original titles, the painted rooms, no helpers for Treguard and Mogdred and Morghanna! The dwarf tunnels were a much better transistion that the Eyeshield. Series 4 would've been much better if it kept the painted rooms.

:DSERIES 3 THE BEST!! :D
KMFAN
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Why series 3 was the best

Post by KMFAN »

Yeah sorry dwarf tunnels not goblin walkways is what I meant.

And yes the fact that there were no helpers was the main reason the pace was much quicker in this series. I dont mind a bit of bartering and chit chat here and there but in the later series I found some of these interludes dragged on a bit too long for my liking.