Unintended Knightmare references in films

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Unintended KM References

Post by Ironlord »

Drassil wrote: Dragonheart II: A New Beginning was on TV yesterday. It features dragons, a boy who wants to gain access to a dungeon so he can retrieve a sword and become a knight, a character from China, a character named Osric with a connection to the last dragon (the sixth Knightmare book has this too), and John Woodnutt wearing a habit.
Made in 2000. So, I wonder where they could have picked their ideas from?
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

I saw a bit of it, but only the last few minutes.

That's the last thing John Woodnutt filmed before his sad death, I believe.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Drassil wrote: Dragonheart II: A New Beginning was on TV yesterday. It features dragons, a boy who wants to gain access to a dungeon so he can retrieve a sword and become a knight, a character from China, a character named Osric with a connection to the last dragon (the sixth Knightmare book has this too), and John Woodnutt wearing a habit.
There is another chance to see it tomorrow, 4:20pm, channel five.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Knightmare references

Post by BrotherStrange »

David Newton (Wong) wrote:
For example, in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, the leader of the cult _is_ Lord Fear. With added horns on his head.

And in the next film - Last Crusade - the route to the Holy Grail is very similar to the Corridor of Blades (Indy! Duck! Sidestep to your left!), closely followed by a letter causeway.
You definitely have some good points there! After all Herr Flick/Von Smallhausen in Allo Allo were 'inspired' (IE pinched) from that Nazi bloke in Indiana Jones...
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare references

Post by HStorm »

This is kind of back-to-front, because the film The Lion In Winter pre-dates Knightmare by almost twenty years, but have a look at this picture...

http://www.garboforever.com/Bilder/Love ... urn-11.jpg

See how much Peter O'Toole resembles the early Treguard in that Henry II outfit. Reckon that's what Treguard's early costume was based on?
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz »

HStorm wrote:This is kind of back-to-front, because the film The Lion In Winter pre-dates Knightmare by almost twenty years, but have a look at this picture...

http://www.garboforever.com/Bilder/Love ... urn-11.jpg

See how much Peter O'Toole resembles the early Treguard in that Henry II outfit. Reckon that's what Treguard's early costume was based on?
Aye Caramba! 8-o
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Rosey (my sister, as most people know) has just completed an Art History course. She received the final paperwork in the post this morning and announced to me "I've got my diploma." Immediately I replied, "Does it say 2, 3, ?, ?, ? on it?"
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Hmmmm, are self references allowed? :)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Congratulations to Rosey!

Can't you see I'm burning burning to bring up the forthcoming Tintin movie (due out this autumn)? Will you take me up on an invitation to learn more? I recently read that it's (a) co-written by Steven Moffat, the man with the current licence to shapeshift Sherlock and doctor Doctor Who, and (b) to star Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as Thomson & Thompson, sometimes known as the Thompson Twins. Do you hold me now responsible for spreading some excitement? If you know enough of 80s music to see what I've done in this paragraph, reward yourself by stretching out on the sofa and eating something you love on your side.

But why did Tintin movie news remind me of Knightmare? First, the cast unfortunately lacks Hugo Myatt in his dream role of Captain Haddock (as revealed in Issue 4 of The Eye Shield). Second, the name of Tintin's dog is, give or take a w, the nickname of perhaps the sweetest and best-loved member the Knightmare community has ever had.

I also read recently that Bryan McNerney, a.k.a. Grimwold the Ogre, has had a spot of bother with walkers treading a path through his garden. Stressful as it sounds, I couldn't help thinking that he should try to address it by setting up a lectern in his garden with a blank sheet of paper before lying in wait with a club.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Watching 'Santa Claus: The Movie', I was amused by the fact there was an elf called Dooley! (Apparently it was the maiden name of the Santa actor's mother.) The part where the bearded main character was advised to get himself an Elvish assistant made me smirk, too. :)
Melusina
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Melusina »

Lord Fear, his costume, manner of speaking, general demeanour and pool of voracity put me in mind very much of Evil from Time Bandits. Idiot henchmen such as Skarkill, Hands and Lissard could stand in quite well for the likes of Robert and 'We-can-make-beans-into-peas' Benson.
"It'll look good in Ruislip"
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

In another thread, Drassil wrote:The second song has an indirect connection to Knightmare, in that it featured in Three Men And A Little Lady (on TV earlier this week), as did Jason Karl a.k.a. dungeoneer Julian from S2. He's listed as appearing as a funeral guest, but I couldn't conclusively spot him.
I saw this film recently. Agreed that it's pretty much impossible to spot Jason as the camera moves too fast, but I did chuckle at the scene where the butler is blindfolded by a knight's helmet and guided around badly by a child. :P
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Unintended Knightmare references in films

Post by Drassil »

The Kid Who Would Be King (2019 film) was on TV recently. It's currently available on All 4. As well as Arthurian legend and Stonehenge (as referred to by the Knightmare Series 3 gargoyle), it includes Patrick Stewart saying, "There is no turning back."
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Unintended Knightmare references in films

Post by Drassil »

In Back to the Future II-III, Michael J. Fox plays four characters including two genders, two nationalities and a spouse.

In Knightmare Series 2-3, Tom Karol does the same.