TAPE PIRACY

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: TAPE PIRACY

Post by Kieran »

Ohh DVD possibility, I hold my hand in there to do a fan commentary  :D

Nice extras by the sound of things too....We need 'em!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

Unfortunately, I don't have a DVD player at all and will be unlikely to be able to buy one anytime soon.
I would BUY a DVD player, If just for Knightmare
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I'm sure that even people with episodes on tape would certainly be interested in buying a DVD for the far better picture quality they would get.

Indeed, not everyone has a DVD player yet, but they are coming down in price fast (under £70 now - just about the same price as a video recorder) so I don't think it would be much of a barrier.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I'm sure that even people with episodes on tape would certainly be interested in buying a DVD for the far better picture quality they would get.
Yes! I really should have made mention of those people who have legal copies from original transmission or Sci-Fi/Challenge? repeats. Not all tapes are pirate copies.

And thanks for the post edit. How thoughtful of you.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

Yes, I would definately buy Knightmare if it was released on DVD as I have said before. I have KM on tape, but the picture quality is poor, so being a KM obsessive I NEED better picture quality!!! The extras alone are worth buying for! I know its been said before, but I would like to put my vote down for an audio commentary including BVA himself!!  ;D
Despite the recent events surrounding illegal copies, maybe it has worked in the favour of a Knightmare release, I know for certain that after hearing BVA's support on the matter, I am getting excited again!!  Here, let me demonstrate: *Dances around the room excitedly* -Thats just how excited I am!!! :D
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

A DVD release of Knightmare would be a fantastic thing, as many people did not tape the series at the time of them shown on TV, and some do not have sky/cable so cannot see repeats.

As for the amount of people owning a DVD player, the numbers are increasing all the time, and dont forget people can also watch DVDs on PCs with DVD player, Xboxes and PS2s! Chances are most households own at least one of these items!

Another good reason is that 80's stuff is in at the moment, as all the people who grew up in this decade are now adults. And as a result, companies are releasing DVDs of that era for the new wave of adults, for example Rainbow, Danger Mouse, Transformers, etc. Now if people can buy Rainbow DVDs, whats gonna stop them from buying KM!

Finally, my last point is that KM is very fondly remembered (I dont need to tell you lot this), but as a result of the best childrens tv poll from last year, (in which I still disagree with what they put in at No. 1) Knightmare scored very high indeed!

Im sure that we arent the only ones who would love a DVD of KM!
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Very good point about 80s nostalgia, there.

I taped series 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 but due to an extreme lack of foresight, all that survives is the latter half of series 8.  :(

Another good reason to have DVD: the pristine picture quality (completely devoid of logos and adverts, to boot) would make it seem completely real, just like it seemed when I saw it live all those years ago. When watching an old video caked in noise you're constantly reminded that it is indeed a video.
Subject to change.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Yep, I'd get a DVD player just for KM too.

Although I'm not exactly sure about Granada actually releasing a video of KM (from what I've heard it seems likely they want to forget KM totally, never mind re-release it!), so please excuse me if I don't get all excited and starts making requests for specific extras, it would, most definitely, be a very good idea, no doubt about that.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

But beveryafraid has just said that Granada are now genuinely interested in doing a DVD release!

Also, if the new series gets commissioned and is successful (which I'm certain it will be) demand will go through the roof. If a DVD release had already happened at that point and discs were ready to buy...well, you know what will happen.  :)
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Conversely, if the DVDs were released it might help generate interest for the Knew Knightmare. I'm sure the DVDs would try and include an exhaustive set of internet links, including to Televirtual's latest projects. If Tim was interviewed, one of the things he might *just* mention is that Knightmare is not necessarily a creature purely of the past. (Okay, it'd have to be worked so the information didn't become out of date too early, but there'd be some way of managing that.)

I've had so many other ideas. For some reason this whole issue got stuck in my head the other night and I failed to get to sleep until 5.30am. Ra and double-ra!
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Join the club!  ;)

It indeed seems to work both ways: a DVD release will doubtless reinforce the demand for a new series, and a new series will reinforce the demand for a DVD release. One will help the other. It's merely a question of which comes first.
Subject to change.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I personally think the DVD release should come first - then people caan watch Knightmare "in order" rather than seeing new series then going back to old series.
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

I'd get the deffinatly! Even if I didn't have a DVD player, I'd buy one to have it - and remember this would generate interest if they wanted to make a new KM series.
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, *they* ARE making a new series.  :D

It's just a question of whether it will be commissioned. (I am positive it will - with Km's reputation and continuing demand even the most middle-of-the-road, play-it-safe, money-grabbing, cappuccino-land monkey-suit of an exec will want it!)
Subject to change.
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Well, *they* ARE making a new series.  :D
Really? or are you just being optimistic - its hard to tell...
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!