Series 3 - Episode 3

JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Re:Series 3 episode 3

Post by JamesA »

Drassil wrote:Next time you watch this episode, keep your eyes peeled for a continuity error involving Grimwold's trousers. ;)
Clocked it.... an indicator that the Ogre's appearance in the second third of the Vale of Vanburn was pre-recorded before Simon negotiated it.
Canadanne wrote:Can someone tell me what Velda calls Simon when she rushes into the waterfall cave? I can't make it out.
Sounded like: "Stop! That's far enough you Southwark/Suffolk raider". Although a lot of Velda's dialogue is extremely confusing to understand in that scene.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 episode 3

Post by Canadanne »

JamesA wrote:Sounded like: "Stop! That's far enough you Southwark/Suffolk raider".
It sounds more like "sullock/sulloch raider" to me, but I have no idea what that would mean...
Although a lot of Velda's dialogue is extremely confusing to understand in that scene.
Hmm, you're right... I can't make out what she calls Grimwold either, as everyone's talking over the top of her. "I see from your blundering you have let a ????? come into this place" - it sounds like "pettigon", but again I can find no such word.

Oh Velda, why must your language be so bewildering? I'll check back here in 7 years' time and maybe somebody will have figured it out...
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

DANCE Flaw

Post by Drassil »

A while ago I wrote:I'm inclined to say that Cliff's death was fair.
One factor that I hadn't considered - indeed, going by previous posts, it seems none of us has - is Merlin's description of the DANCE spell: "diversionary magic". In my opinion, this is misleading. I'm not sure I stand by my earlier verdict now. If only the spell had been something less noisy, like SLEEP or FREEZE, or indeed TOAD: the team wouldn't have felt such a need to get the heck out, the slapstick distraction wouldn't have been quite so overbearing, and in the ensuing calm, Treguard might have felt inclined to suggest that the team exploit the situation.
Redthir
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 3 - Episode 3

Post by Redthir »

I really don't think Cliff's death was fair. Christopher from Series 2 had to cast WEB against Cedric, which he didn't have to dispell. Like Cedric in Christopher's scene, McGrew seemed like a dangerous threat to Cliff and DANCE was needed against him. I think the two situations were very similar.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 episode 3

Post by Canadanne »

You know what, I hate to say it, but I don't think the Vale of Vanburn is the right name... I've just watched this episode again and it sounds like Velda actually calls it the Vale of Banburn! The second time in particular it's quite a clear 'B' sound, at least through these headphones. Which is a shame because I like Vanburn better...
Canadanne wrote:I can't make out what she calls Grimwold either, as everyone's talking over the top of her. "I see from your blundering you have let a ????? come into this place" - it sounds like "pettigon", but again I can find no such word.
Listening to this again, it sounds more like "I see by your blundering you have pulled a pertadonkle into this place", which still doesn't help! Maybe TC just made some words up?
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

It sounds more like "peasant ogre" to me.
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Velda tends to use Old English curses I think, or in her case 'elven' curses....

Anyway, this is basically all I have for this episode:

Got to love Velda! Even if she is a bit... loud.
Simon! She didn't say THROW the gauntlet at her!
I think Natasha may have made contact with Mr Grimwold there... rather looks like she clobbered him in the knackers.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
FaveWorstKnightmare
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by FaveWorstKnightmare »

I hereby request to the Court Of Knightmare that the untimely death of Cliff should be posthumously pardoned.

The spell of Dance was given to Cliff and his advisors by Merlin as "a sort of a diversionary magic".

A diversionary magic was indeed necessary when a Scotsman of the name "McGrew" drew a weapon upon Cliff and began to shout unintelligible nonsense.

As he was Scottish there is a strong possibilty that "McGrew" was under the influence of alcohol, possibly Tennents Special Brew.

The Dance spell was cast upon "WcGrew" and he subsequently pranced around in a quite ludicrous fashion, shouting words which were once again, completely unintelligible.

As their Dungeoneer was under threat from this ludicrous character, Cliff's advisors hastily gave him directions to the next chamber.

The unfortunate Cliff was then in a room where he was brutally attacked by a haunted sword, which proceeded to devour his lifeforce.

The Dungen Master, a Mr. Treguard, suggeested "If only you had listened to the pleas of McGrew".

This case does not stand up on the basis that the pleas of McGrew were totally unclear to Cliff and his advisors.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Disagreed. The reason McGrew's pleas were unintelligible was that the advisors were talking over him. Admittedly, the silly music didn't help either, but it was quite clear that the advisors were not going to make any attempt to listen to him anyway.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Not sure on this on. On on hand like Martin said, the advisors were talking over McGrew. On the other hand, the moment McGrew said "I'll do anything for you", a split second later Cliff left the room. Without being harsh on David Verry, could he have said that a bit earlier? He knew Cliff was about to leave the room.

Still not sure if the death was harsh or not!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
FaveWorstKnightmare
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by FaveWorstKnightmare »

For the avoidance of doubt, here's the transcript of the words/noises that emerge from McGrew's mouth following the casting of the DANCE spell, the so called "pleas of McGrew":

"Err err ahh ahh ahh ahh ahh ahh ah. Dancing dancing I'm a pror queen falanfer. Oh will you ne'er release me from this awful music. Maraclit, maraclit arrabu oh will you no pear peas me. I'll do anything for thee."

The crucial, and the only clearly intelligible words spoken "I'll do anything for thee" are uttered as Cliff is already walking through the door to the next room.

It is also unrealistic to suggest that the advisors were at fault for talking over McGrew's nonsense. Their Dungeoneer had been threatened in a very aggressive fashion by a man with a sword who could not now even speak coherently. The logical thing to do was to exit the room as quickly as possible.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Canadanne wrote:
JamesA wrote:Sounded like: "Stop! That's far enough you Southwark/Suffolk raider".
It sounds more like "sullock/sulloch raider" to me, but I have no idea what that would mean...
The TV subtitles last weekend had: "That's far enough, you!" Cowards.

Going back to the DANCE scene: although the dialogue after the spell was cast seems continuous, the length of time it takes Cliff to reach the exit might suggest some editing. I'd very much like to hear the team's own memories of the scene one day.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Could the word in question be "Sassenach"?
It's an offensive Gaelic/Scottish word, typically meaning someone from England.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Mystara wrote:Could the word in question be "Sassenach"?
It's an offensive Gaelic/Scottish word, typically meaning someone from England.
As it happens, McGrew refers to Cliff's "Sassenach hide" earlier in the same episode. But as Annie said, Velda's words sound closest to "Sullock raider" which has no obvious meaning. ITV Children's Classics has a YouTube clip.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

FaveWorstKnightmare wrote:"Err err ahh ahh ahh ahh ahh ahh ah. Dancing dancing I'm a pror queen falanfer. Oh will you ne'er release me from this awful music. Maraclit, maraclit arrabu oh will you no pear peas me. I'll do anything for thee."
That makes it much clearer, thank you... I would suggest that "Maraclit, maraclit arrabu" should read "Mercy, mercy, I beg of you", that being said I more or less stand by my comments of 2004. As it's taken us over ten years to work out what's being said I still think it's harsh to have expected the team to have been able to have heard it and reacted to it without any prompting. That and that fact that Merlin refers to it as 'diversionary' which suggests cast spell and run, not cast spell and debate whether to dispell.

Certainly a shame as this team were getting into their stride and would have stood a decent chance of a win if they made it to level three.

Anyway, while I remembered the DANCE/death debacle and debate I had forgotten about the little 'chase sequences' where Grimwold or the goblins follow the dungeoneer. I enjoyed these they certainly up the pace of the quests.