Knightmare on DVD

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare on DVD

Post by DJFairborne77 »

I was a big fan of "Knightmare" when it ran in the late 80's and early 90's on ITV, and I have recently been enjoying the re-runs of Series 3 on "Challenge TV" recently (shame they are ending soon though!). I would love a DVD release of all the series, it would be fantastic. As for the people on about a VHS release, no offence to that but does anybody really care about VHS now? VHS is so poor compared to DVD, why bother? VHS is such an old format now, I can't understand anyone who buys videos now. Anyway, this isn't a rant against VHS, but obviously now we are in the DVD age.

I have been taping the Series 3 repeats off Challenge TV, and I have some recorded from the original broadcasts on ITV, but not many as some of my videotapes have chewed up, with age I guess. I would love to see some "Knightmare" DVD's. Commentaries would be ace, from Tim Child, Hugo Myatt and any other cast/crew members. Other stuff such as 'behind-the-scenes' material would be great, and also maybe all the "Children's ITV" links that was shown before & after "Knightmare". Also, Treguard and other cast members often made appearances on CITV, so be good to see them too, and also the adverts for the tie-in books that were show after some episodes of the show.

Maybe, also a "Where Are They Now?" type featurette to show what happenned to the many stars of the show, such as Mark Knight (Lord Fear), Paul Valentine (Motley/Sylvester Hands) etc. I did know that Michael Cule (Brother Mace/Fatilla) appeared in the Michael Winner movie, "Dirty Weekend". Maybe, also extend this to feature the teams, and in particular the winning teams, some of which has posted messages on the www.knightmare.com site. I would also like to see a retrospective documentary type-thing, in which Tim Child and co, could talk about how the idea for the show came-up, and about casting etc.

I think a DVD of this show is long overdue, the show has never been repeated on ITV1, it was never released on video and apart from the Sci-Fi Channel    re-runs in '98 (which was only on UK cable at this time - Sky's analogue hours of Sci-Fi were only 8pm-12am and "Knightmare" was broadcast in the morning. Also, cable wasn't widely available throughout the UK at this time, only in certain regions) it wasn't ever seen again on TV (since the original broadcasts on ITV) until Christmas 2002 when Challenge TV started to show Series 3. However, that is drawing to a close soon, and Challenge have no plans to show any of the other series. So, a DVD release of the entire 8 series would be fabulous, and judging by the number of fans this show has, I am sure it would sell well.

So, here's hoping a DVD release of "Knightmare" will happen one day...
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare on DVD

Post by DavidNewton »

Let's hope so. Welcome to the board.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Some very good ideas there!

There's also two pilot episodes and the Chromakey experiment (see the front page for more details - it's fascinating stuff) all three of which are previously untransmitted.

In addition, since Km was edited for time, I would surmise that there could be any number of deleted scenes. A DVD release could include those as well - possibly re-inserted into the original episodes.

Anyway, welcome!  ;)
Subject to change.
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Sure, if the deleted scenes still exist ;)

I'd bet that somebody somewhere along the line has failed to see the point in keeping them, and has whizzed them.
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Oh, I'm sure they still exist. They'll probably be on a reel somewhere in Anglia's vaults.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

You make a very good case, Fairborne. In this case there really are a huge number of extras that could be included if space permitted.

I also think there'd be a good market for such a release. I'm surprised anyone buys some of the things that are released on DVD; surely this would be a bigger seller than a lot of them.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Yeah - 'Bargain Hunt season whatever CHEAP AS CHIPS!'

Like anyone REALLY wants that.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Yeah - 'Bargain Hunt season whatever CHEAP AS CHIPS!'

Like anyone REALLY wants that.
I really hope you're not seriously telling us that's available on DVD!

And David Dickinson (Yes, I resisted cheap jokes at his name!) must have used the same fake fan that Treguard was using in KM Series 3. It's the same tone of orangeness.  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Surely you mean tan GG?? Otherwise remind me never to get a fan from that company! as for resisting the jokes, sod it, im immature enough! DickInSon - wonder if he has a son??
  Back on topic, sounds like a great plan there fairborne - email companies!! :)
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Surely you mean tan GG?? Otherwise remind me never to get a fan from that company!
Of course I meant "fan". Didn't you notice Treguard's fake fan in Series 3? The fire was pretty hot so Hugo needed one to cool off, but the production budget wouldn't stretch to a real fan (they had to buy Velda some emergency acting lessons) so he had to use a fake one.    
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

What's a fake fan then? Someone blowing on his face?  :P
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Gotta hear GG's response! PS - Lay off Velda!!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

What's a fake fan then? Someone blowing on his face?  :P

Exactly that. As I've said before, thanks to Velda's emergency acting lessons (and the millions paid for Mrs. G's ever so realistic fake nose) money was pretty tight. So one of the cast not required in the scene would stand just off shot blowing air towards Hugo, to balance out the evil heat coming from the fire. Usually it was Mellymoos, but I'm sure there's a rota still in existence somewhere of all the time each cast member was required to do the task. Perhaps it could be scanned and put on any KM DVD as an added extra? There's also a moment where (if you look closely) in Episode 7 you see Clifford Norgate almost stumble into shot because he thought getting closer to Hugo would make the air circulation process more effective. I'm sure the crew never let him forget that one!
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

*snig-gers childishly*

I can see melly blowing Treguard.

*pause*

NOT IN THAT SENSE YOU BUNCH OF MOOBAGS!

[I had to put the '-' in cos otherwise the stupid filter turned 'sniggers' into 'sblack persons'. Stupid forum.]
Last edited by Emii on 27 Mar 2003, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

*snig-gers childishly*

I can see melly blowing Treguard.
LOL. I was really careful how I worded my previous post, but I knew someone would make that joke.

*snigger*

Oh dear, I can't believe the forum edits that. I suppose it's necessary on some forums with immature members. *sigh*
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 27 Mar 2003, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.