Legal Knightmare DVDs

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Legal Knightmare DVDs

Post by Mystara »

Knightmare may become (legally) available on DVD.

Now wait. Stop. Before you get excited, there are some things that need to be said.

Firstly, and most importantly, there is every chance that this will completely fall through. We think we may have come up with a way to do this legally. However, we haven't yet formally spoken to anyone in authority. Everything so far has been unofficial enquiries off the record.

Secondly, even if the project gets off the ground, there's still a chance that some or all of it will fall through. The total costs involved are VAST. More than any single person can handle. Therefore, even once we determine how it all works out, we just might not be able to get the momentum necessary for the project to get off the ground.

Thirdly, it will require support from the community. And by "support", I mean "financial support". That means, we need to find people willing to buy the DVDs.

Fourthly, we're doing nothing until the new knightmare.com site goes live. This is the best opportunity we'll have for raising awareness, and therefore, support.

That's all I have to say right now. This would be a good opportunity to let us know whether there's still an interest out there in some legal Knightmare DVDs. Not TV grabs from challenge or ITV, but copies of the original master episodes.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Legal Knightmare DVDs

Post by Pooka »

Yow!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Well I'll buy them, first day they're available.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Sell and I shall no doubt buy - email Nic to send a global to all registered users. :)
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Well, I haven't got a paypal account (or the interest in getting one) but if this DOES work out and the DVDs start popping up in shops or mail-order/internet then hell yeah.

I'm game. :green:
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Internet distribution would be likely at first, since there's far fewer costs involved.
Paypal is likely to be the cheapest way to charge people. Fortunately, these days you don't need a paypal account to pay someone via paypal (AFAIK).

Please do spread the word. If there's insufficient interest in this, we'll just drop the idea.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

You can count on my steel.

*rushes off to twitter this with due haste*
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

I would SO buy these!! And pay a stupidly high price as well :P

Let's face it, dodgy VHS copies off Challenge with bad sound and ad-breaks are nothing compared to pristine DVD!
Madmogsue
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Madmogsue »

Sounds good.

Thumbs up from me.
PhoenixFlame
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by PhoenixFlame »

I'd buy them! :D Knightmare DVDs would be awesome!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

This shall certainly be a massive breakthrough for Knightmare fans. This is what they wanted and it seems it can (possibly) happen. So all that patience has kinda paid off :) Right I'm saving cash right now!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Just as a guide for all of you offering to buy them without knowing the price :)
We'd be looking at a price of *about* £1 per episode (per person) if they were to be downloaded.

DVDs could perhaps be a little higher to cover the costs of duplication, labelling, artwork, postage, packaging and so on. A figure that's being thrown about is £10 for season 1.

Of course, these are all VERY preliminary numbers.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Thats a good figure for series one. I assume there is to be no money profit out of all this? I mean people are willing to fork out good money especially if its Knightmare. But im not sure if we have anything to gain. Unless it could be funding towards another Knightmare series... Who knows :-/
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

That's impossible to tell, since we don't know what price we'll charge. Even once we've decided that, we don't know how many sales we'll make.
It's also unreasonable to avoid, because none of us can afford to make a financial loss. It's not sufficient to lower prices to ensure we don't make a profit, because then we'd be losing money.

Nevertheless, we are discussing a few ideas on how we can pump any profits back in to the community. The issue is too complicated to go in to details here, since it involves too many variables. We also still need to confirm the availability of some of the episodes, since some of them are mysteriously unlisted.

Right now, we're just trying to gauge whether there's still an interest out there. The responses so far have been good, but we'll need many more for this to be viable. If you know someone who is likely to buy a DVD (or a handful of episodes), get them to post here.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I am trying to gather support from some of the farther reaches of the KM community.

It would be great to see this work.