Merlin's Calling Name?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Velvet
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Merlin's Calling Name?

Post by Velvet »

I've done a forum search but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know whether Merlin revealed what his calling name was? That's assuming he had one...
My sites:
How to Survive Your Teens
My fanfiction:
fanfiction here: Velvet D'Coolette @ fanfiction.net
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Merlin's Calling Name?

Post by HStorm »

He didn't have one, or at least he never gave it out. The only way to summon him within the series was to find one of his tokens or complete a puzzle.

He did give other names that he went by, such as the legendary 'Bert', and 'No', but they weren't calling names as far as we can tell.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Velvet
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Velvet »

Okay. It did seem to not quite fit that a particularly powerful wizard wouldn't give out his calling name. I think Velda once said that a calling name is, in fact, your true name. This would suggest that the name one regularly goes by in the dungeon would be a chosen secondary name, perhaps of the individual's own choosing. So if Merlin said he had several names (and I remember hearing him say that once) it would make sense that one of those names would be his true name. But can you imagine calling Merlin in such a way he'd have to come to you, like a dog? It just doesn't fit, does it?

That said, Hordriss, the proudest of wizards, didn't seem to have any real problem with it. Perhaps because his nature was that volatile that he knew nobody would dare mis-use it.
My sites:
My fanfiction:
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Well, Merlin claimed in both the series and the novellas to have many different names. The first book even goes so far as to list some of them - supposedly, the legendary Herne the Hunter is supposed to be one of his alter egos. So there are all kinds of possibilities.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Velvet wrote: Does anyone know whether Merlin revealed what his calling name was? That's assuming he had one...
Giles (Team 8 of Series 4) called out "Merlin" three times to summon him. Yet this seemed to be something of a continuity error: when they'd met on Level 1, Merlin hadn't introduced himself, and in fact couldn't have even if he'd wanted to, due his mind being imprisoned ("I know not even my own name").
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

It's possible that at least one of the team members had watched Knightmare before and knew who he was :D

(Of course the game planners would not take that for granted and you're right, there must have been a continuity blip somewhere. Just offering a sensible explanation to the story so you can sleep at night 8) )
Velvet
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Velvet »

Ariadne's Layer wrote: It's possible that at least one of the team members had watched Knightmare before and knew who he was :D
Somehow I find that hard to believe after hearing dungeoneers left, right and centre refer to Hordriss as 'an old man'. That indicates a lack not only of knowledge of his name but just how much respect the streak-bearded mage commanded.

I mean, if you're going to call Hordriss an old man, you might as well skip up to him, clap him too hard on the shoulder and ask how his love life is going.

Then get turned into a lizard.
My sites:
My fanfiction:
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

*Takes notes hurriedly*

These modern rules of etiquette are weird...
Velvet
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Velvet »

*winces in preparation for being clapped too hard on the shoulder and asked how my love life is*
My sites:
My fanfiction:
PookasRule
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by PookasRule »

I would not call Hordriss an old man to his face even if I was Lord Fear himself with forty thousand goblins behind me. (And a few trolls as well.)
I'm a Mogdred fan!
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz »

Wasn't Hordriss divorced?
Malice's loyal subject
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Velvet, I noticed that in your fanfic, Motley summons Merlin by exclaiming his name once. This reminded me that Merlin was also summoned in that way by Treguard, after Dickon found the Crown; and Motley too, by Martin in Series 3.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Merlin had a load of ways into summoning him didn't he? Finding steps, building a cube with his initial on it, commanding a symbol to his chair. Merlin was like a wrong telephone number in a way, he was always in... ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/