John Woodnutt condolence thread

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:John Woodnutt

Post by Drassil »

Condolences to those who knew John Woodnutt personally. His scenes on Knightmare are among its best and worst, its funniest and scariest, but always memorable. He is enjoyable to watch, and inspiring too - the most recent IKM Caption Competition and Interactive Story, over 15 years after the event, are two of many testaments to that.

Thank you, Mr. Woodnutt. To paraphrase Brother Mace from Series 5: although Merlin is no longer with us, his magic remains.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

John, you will be sadly missed indeed, as well as Knightmare and Doctor Who you contributed to the comedy world in Terry and June and the marvellous Jeeves and Wooster series of the early 90s as the inimatable Sir Watkyn Bassett!
Carpe Diem - sieze the moment.
Fury
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Fury »

While this news has yet to be confirmed, if it's true, then it is a great loss indeed. Not much I think I can say that hasn't been said here already... he was a great and versatile actor, with a commanding presence and excellent timing, capable of bringing real credibility and dignity to any role he played. Knightmare certainly benefited greatly from his involvement.

For those wanting to know more about his acting career, his IMDB entry can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0940407/
His wikipedia entry is at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Woodnutt
Dungeons don't kill people; advisors do.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I have spotted a mention of his passing on the Outpost Gallifrey website.

'Actor John Woodnutt, who appeared in four episodes of Doctor Who, recently passed away, according to a note on the Restoration Team Forum. Woodnutt, born in 1924, played Hibbert in "Spearhead from Space," the Draconian Emperor in "Frontier in Space," the Duke of Forgill and Zygon leader Broton in "Terror of the Zygons" and as Seron in "The Keeper of Traken," had an enormous career in British television and film for decades, including appearing in episodes of "Jeeves and Wooster," "The Bill," "The Tomorrow People," "Sherlock Holmes," "Adam Adamant Lives!," "The Avengers" and "Z Cars," and his last film role was in the movie "Dragonheart: A New Beginning".'

It may not mention Knightmare, but his acting CV is certainly impressive. It seems he is very fondly remembered by many more people outside of the Knightmare community. A nice legacy.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

God Bless You John

Knightmare will never forget you!

Nor will the thousands and indeed millions who enjoyed your career.

It was you who started my interest in Arthurian legend, and for that I am thankful

Rert In Peace
Spellcasating V - I - M
keeds
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by keeds »

This is terribly sad. As a fan who started watching in series 2 as a young (5 year old) boy, my memories are of a man who held a quiet yet friendly authority as Merlin and who was capable of provoking a terrified response from this young boy as Mogdred. That he was able to play 2 contrasting roles equally well is a testiment to his undoubted talent.

Keeds
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

I can only add my own small tribute to John alongside all these wonderful glowing posts.
He brought such a wry warmth to his role as Merlin and a sinister menace to his role as Mogdred, and was never bettered for either part in Knightmare's run.

RIP John
LordFear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LordFear »

RIP John
Live in Fear....
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I have just spotted mention from someone who has had contact with Denville Hall, the actors home where John Woodnutt died. According to them, he passed away on the 3rd January after 'a long illness'.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

I'm not sure there's anything else that I could add, except: goodbye John, and you're not forgotten, especially with KM series 2 on Challenge at the moment.
HStorm wrote: Didn't Mary Miller die in 1998?
BillyH wrote: It seems that was a mistake made by the IMDB. That death date is no longer present, and there's an entry for something she did in 2005.
To clear everything up once and for all, the error was that it was Mary MillAr, with an A, who died in 1998. She played Rose in Keeping Up Appearances.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Spellcasting.... R.... I.... P....

Well, it had to be done.

Mr Woodnutt's appearance on Knightmare were, to say the least, magic.

I think everything else I'd like to say has already been said.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

There's to be a special tribute to him in next month's issue of Doctor Who Magazine (there was a small obituary this month).
Giles
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Giles »

This is very sad news. John was very kind to us whilst we were filming. He had real charisma and indulged our requests for him to put on his character voices.
Akerbie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Akerbie »

I'm very sorry to hear of John Woodnutt's passing!

Thanks to Kirean for the Doctor Who episode titles. As a fan [particularly of the late 80's] I must also look these up too.

I must also keep my eyes peeled for John's appearance in Terry & June. I have the first 6 series on DVD so I better start watching again.

You learn something everyday! Not always good news, but always something new!
Greetings! My name is Akerbie, and I'm on a quest for The Jigsaw Puzzle! There are many pieces to collect on my path!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the forum -

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/ob ... 342104.ece

- for its (in my opinion) appalling omission.

I vote to send Mr. Gaughan to Mogdred's Playpen.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.