Series 3 - Episode 7

HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Series 3 - Episode 7

Post by HarveyTowers »

So it's "Humans 0, Dungeon 4."

This episode hardly started before we had a new team, maybe they should have ended the last quest in the
previous ep?

New team met Melly playing hide and seek - apparantly with Motley. The dungeoneer joined in.

Found Mellisandre in the trapdoor room but she fell down a trapdoor again. One of the advisors suggested
following her down but Treguard warned against it. I liked the lifeforce manifestation appearing over the
trapdoor.

[commerial break] Came a bit quick, we only had about 5 minutes

Into the Bragwen's chamber. Got 2 out of 3 with quite easy riddles. Quest to free their playmate the maze.

First step is the handshake. but had to cross the Serpent's mouth. Sucked into the creature's stomach but used the egg before the dungeoneer was digested.

Into the pool room (which will make so forum users happy) Used the fishing rod to catch the door.

Motley appeared, it seems he has a theme song now!

Advisors made hardwork of the riddle - it was a frog, obviously.

Wave for step 2.

Ledge room and heard Mellisandre call before Olaf appeared.
This team must have seen the last series: "Pretend you have a gem".
Used the BIG spell.

Nice little puzzle next, this series is good at throwing up one-off puzzles. Solved "The Maid" anagram before
reaching the well.

Timed out on the Spindizzy (where one door had a picture of Mellisandre above it)

Being careful not to include a spoiler - I simply note that the guillotine room from the last series is seen
behind the credits.

Did see some of the letters but missed most of them! Take it this was some competition?
(and yes I have guessed it)
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 3 - Episode 7

Post by Tom41 »

Ah yes, this is the episode where letters appear throughout the episode for a CITV competition (spelling out a word). The team obviously didn't see the letters appearing on their monitor, they were added in by CITV or by Anglia Television.
I wonder if a version of this episode exists without the letters appearing?

In what used to be the 'beam room', two skulls chased them across the broken bridge! Didn't do a diagonal step like the last team, but a sidestep to the left - and fell to their death! I wonder why the dungeoneer turned blue and more ragged outline as he fell?

When Treguard is giving his 'final speech' to the team before they go into the dungeon, you can see a metal strip along the floor. Is this where they ran the wires going to the adviser's monitor? Treguard said "Most of the people who wear this come to a sticky end, I'm sure that won't happen to you" as he put the helmet on Ross! Perhaps he hoped for a winning quest?

Mistake: No footsteps in the first dwarf tunnel!

New team played hide and seek with Mellisandre. However, just as they 'found' her, the trapdoor opened and she fell down (again) ;). I like how the production team put on the life force image in strategic positions in many rooms. For example, in the trap door room, the large black area in the middle had the life force animation in it!

This team had obviously watched at least one of the previous series of Knightmare. They recognized the level 1 clue room (same as last series, except for the wall monster)!
Scored 2/3 on Brangwen's riddles. Unusual quest to 'free the maid' rather than the 4 classic quest objects. Then again, Series 2 had a quest to 'free the maid' too!

I think the team should have waited for the next serpent's tongue cycle before going on! They took too long and were sucked into the serpent's mouth - and into its stomach! I wonder if this was scripted, rather than a team mistake? Anyway, used the 'bad egg' to give it a stomach upset and get out ;) Then used the fishing rod to fish out a doorway in the pool room!

They didn't quite understand Motley's 'frog' riddle in the next room (and neither did I), but still earned a BIG spell and a 'step' clue from him!
After several promptings from Treguard, used the BIG spell to scare Olaf away! Had to disspell it afterwards - though I remember in a later series, a similar spell just wore off after a few seconds.

First appearance of the 9-square puzzle, with letters on it. They had to call out the letters in a sequence to get it cleared. The correct sequence (which they took some time figuring out) was the object of their quest, THEMAID.
The letter squares took their time disappearing, even though they spelled out THEMAID fairly quickly! "There are two floors, uh, two holes in the floor"

Went down the wellway (I thought I could just see through the dungeoneer there!) and landed on the spindizzy. And timed out right here!

Very knice graphics used over the credits sequence. The guillotine room from the previous series, with a CGI rendered 'starfield' background in the black areas. Also, the credits appeared in pseudo-3D, like the beginning of Star Wars movies!

Oh, the letters that appeared, in order, were RUBILACXE. Reverse this and it becomes EXCALIBUR! ;)
When first watching that episode on CITV back in 1989, I wondered what that U on the dice room table was (not having heard the presenter talking about the competition beforehand). I thought it was a horseshoe, and ignored it. Also completely missed the X, since it was the same shape as (and appeared over) a beam in the kitchen room!
Last edited by Tom41 on 19 Jul 2004, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Looks like I'm not the only one who noted down the letters! Since no one ever thought this show would be repeated on Sci-Fi and Challenge several years later, there probably isn't a clean version without the letters- same with the Series 4 puzzle, the Series 5 question and the Series 6 CiTV plug. It would be great if Challenge had done this competition too!

Motley's riddle was simple- since he was pretending to puff and pant whilst holding the legs, it's obvious the answer wasn't '2 frogs legs' as they're very easy to carry. Therefore, it had to be a frog!
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Of course, CITV competitions today aren't as tough. Now it'd probably be along the lines of 'What colour is the dungeon master's beard?' or 'What is the programme called?'
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

Tom41 wrote: "There are two floors, uh, two holes in the floor"
I reckon these holes in the floor were in case they attempted to guide their dungeoneer to the well before completing the puzzle!(when the chamber wasn't fully visible) Would have been a nasty slip if they had...

Team 5's death- obviously they made a huge misjudgment, although they probably thought as they'd got away with it first time round i.e when they did a similar sidestep left on the same ledge, but just made it, they could get away with it once again. Whoops.....

Team 6 seem to be doing quite well so far, 2/3 riddles correct (Motley's riddle as well), and all obstacles thus far negotiated.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

2 hauntings in one room. What was the 'u' that appeared in the dice tray for.

Glad I didn't entirely trust my EPG claiming it started at 1:45am. I set it to start recording at 1:43 and it was just starting the title sequence.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

As was said earlier, the 'U' was part of a 1989 CiTV competition.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

EXCALIBUR was the word
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Selphie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:No chance

Post by Selphie »

The beam room with the missing floor pieces always provides entertainment from the sudden panic of having to direct their dungeoneer in anything that isn't right angles! The same kind of problems also cropped up so many times with the causeway puzzles in the later series, with all this 'shuffle left' and 'shuffle right' style directions. I'm always impressed when I see a team who have thought about this and go for the clock directions (I seem to have a memory of a team using compass point directions too, but I'm not entirely sure).

Anyway, back to the quest; this team probably panicked a bit when the skulls appeared and came to a sticky end. I thought they stepped off the path once before they actually died too.

Next team, Russ and co. I quite like them; they recognised the clue room for what it was and bless them for their reaction to getting the first riddle wrong, so frustrating! I don't think I would have known the answer to that when I was a kid!

Having taken the egg I don't think there was any way they weren't going down the serpents mouth. The graphics all moving and the exit graphic was just a little odd. With this and the fishing the portal from the pool it felt like the production team were having a play with what they could do, but to me it felt a little silly.

Motley's riddle was confusing to me; it wasn't really a riddle and more of a guess the mime.

Olaff is a character that I consign to the 'I'd rather not be reminded that they existed' bucket (that's the one where Ah Wok also is...) they're childish at best.

On the whole I'm enjoying series 3 but I think it's a little too repetitive for me because of the limited number of rooms. The pacing of the levels also seems slightly off to me; in my mind a level takes about an episode to complete. In this series the time taken for a level is slightly shorter than this but it feels like it takes forever because we see the same rooms over and over again from team to team (you can imagine how much I loved series 8 due to this....;)). I also prefer the later series because the teams weren't disposed of so rapidly you actually got to know them and care about what happened to them. Some of this series just feels like watching lambs go to the slaughter.
A revolution without dancing isn't a revolution worth having.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 - Episode 7

Post by Canadanne »

Treguard: "A word of warning, team. The maid Mellisandre means no harm, but doesn't always keep to her bargains." I'm still intrigued as to what he meant by that remark...

Loved how a great big pulsating stomach was described with the words - what else? - "You're in a room"!
LiamABC
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LiamABC »

When James steps off the ledge at the start of this episode, I've always regarded that as a "series 1" mistake. The advisors forgot that the dungeoneer couldn't see what the floor was like beneath him, should have said "one more SMALL sidestep" - rather than just "one more"! ::)

To illustrate what I mean, the second ever quest, Maeve leaves the comb behind and pays the price in Lilith's chamber. It's understanadble in series 1, because all the teams were thrown in at the deep end a bit - but by series 3, it's just, well . . . :-X
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Notes on Favourites:

Melisandre's in a strop again.
Trap-doors + Mellie = Hunting for the Maid.
Brangwen-Shee again, love it.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

GrimaldineGrimwold wrote:They use a rotten egg to escape from the serpent's stomach (it had swallowed them)
I've always thought that dungeoneers escaped the monster's stomach via its mouth (with the possible exception of Tony and his 'DOWN' spell). But here's the thing. Whenever they leave a room in Series 3, the camera zooms in on the exit they use. In the case of Ross being ejected from the stomach, it zooms in on that muscular wall at the back, which I presume is meant to be something like a sphincter. And it's clearly not the one he came in through. Sooo...
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Tom41 wrote:Used the fishing rod to fish out a doorway in the pool room
Later the subject of aquatic film Finding Doory.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Hmmm, team 5 lasted about as long as an ice-cream on a hot day....
Completely misread the floor layout and side-stepped James straight into the void. ::) It looked like they might have already done so on the previous row about 10 seconds earlier and got away with it.

Team 6 made a steady start, altho they needed quite a bit of prompting from Treguard.
2/3 against Brangwen Shee.
They seemed to tumble thru the serpent's mouth very quickly, even tho it looked like they had enough time to step onto the ledge. Like others have said, i assume this was scripted. Used the rotten egg to escape....
Cast the "BIG" spell to scare Olaf away. Interesting how they thought about trying the old sorcerer's stone trick from series 2....

Landed on the level 2 spindizzy as the bell sounded.
Ross seemed to have difficulty hearing his advisors on several occasions.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D