The Causeway

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

The Causeway

Post by 123Pooka »

What you might call, 'the traditional causeway' was those series 5 and 6 hexagonal block bridges. These were innovative, and nastily, I loved the bottomless drop beneath them. These particular causeways are almost the trademark of the 5th and 6th series as they appeared frequently, in nearly every level in certain quests.

I am wondering what might have been (excuse the pun) a cause of the traditional causeway. The earlier series eg series 3, had that ledge, with the awkward step that was needed. Perhaps this was an early causeway in disguise. Maybe even you could go back as early as the first series, with Lilith's crumbling ice.
Series 2's mills of doom was always another early causeway.

I guess you could argue therefore that causeways have always been in knightmare, just in a different shape or form.
Are there other causeways you can refresh my memory with?
Feel free to treat this as a general causeway topic.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:The Causeway

Post by TheBrollachan »

In the same way the series 7 Trial by Spikes could be seen as a variation to the causeway idea.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

Trial by spikes, that was a good one. Another infamous series 7 causeway was the 'play your cards right' puzzle, think that was my favourite part of series 7 level 3, especially with the goblin incident!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

The winner from series 5 had to cross a sort of causeway with Roman numerals and shapes
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

^ that was a 'the great causeway'

i don't see how Trial of Spears or PYCR are causeways?? in other worths your saying anything with a drop...

Causeway tend to be path ways,

But (forget which season) the 1st room.. a causeway would come up once the team had choosing there quest.

The trial of spears is more like the Combat chress... the use of the chess board and using particular movies, like a causeway but the spears/spikes isn't one.

Causeway :
1. A raised roadway, as across water or marshland.
2. A paved highway.

pycr and the spikes isn't either of theses!!!
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Mephistopheles wrote: ^ that was a 'the great causeway'

i don't see how Trial of Spears or PYCR are causeways?? in other worths your saying anything with a drop...

Causeway tend to be path ways,

But (forget which season) the 1st room.. a causeway would come up once the team had choosing there quest.

The trial of spears is more like the Combat chress... the use of the chess board and using particular movies, like a causeway but the spears/spikes isn't one.

Causeway :
1. A raised roadway, as across water or marshland.
2. A paved highway.

pycr and the spikes isn't either of theses!!!
I tink you're making reference to Seaosn 6 there where blocks would rise from the chasm in front of them, and they had the chance to choose which quest the went on.

I cannot think of any more causeways, unless you wish to include the swinging axe room from the new VR clips!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

There's also the famous unused room from season 4 with its own swinging axe. I agree with Meph though that some of the examples of 'causeways' here sound a little tenuous.

A causeway would essentially be a road or path elevated above dangerous ground (or no ground at all in many cases in KM). You COULD threfore argue that PYCR was one, a kind of make-your-own-causeway-as-you-walk, but not Trial-By-Spikes.

Would people say that bridges are causeways? If so you can include the Vale Of Mogdred/Worms, and the crumbling bridge in S4.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

The "Crumbling Causeway of Mogdred" ;D
Last edited by Anonymous on 29 Jun 2004, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

the crumbling bridge is indeed a casueway.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

The Great Causeway of Series 6 (as K briefly mentioned) was indeed used only twice in all of KM's history, which is a bit of a shame as it was thrilling to watch.

Personally I liked the Pooka of the Causeway in Series 6, which was just bizarre, but fun to watch!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

Just felt like adding a causeway fact, that many km fans might know already, but its quite interesting.
The hexagonal causeways of series 5 and 6 (including the great causeway) were responsible for the death of six teams! This is more than the classic corridor of blades. Causeways were used more often though, as they appeared in loads of s5 and 6 episodes.
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

But what's the team kill comparison as a percentage, since as you say, the hexagonal causeways were used more frequently.
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

Gizensha wrote: But what's the team kill comparison as a percentage, since as you say, the hexagonal causeways were used more frequently.
In truth if you do a kill comparison as a percentage, the c.o.b will probably have the higher percentage kills. The main point is that causeways were the biggest series 5 and series 6 killers. Had c.o.b appeared more often in those series, who knows, it may have taken top spot.
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

Well, offhand I can only remember two killed by the blades (Alistair, Series 4, and Daniel, Series 8), though I've probably forgotten some, and three who got through it (Sophia, Series 6, Barry, Series 7, and Dunstan, Series 8 - and no, the latter two were not let off after being hit by blades).

I liked the causeways a lot. As far as I'm concerned, only those called causeways count as causeways. What some have said about the common characteristics of other obstacles (i.e. their requiring speed, dexterity and timing) is true, but these should be collectively termed floor puzzles.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

You forgot Giles and not forgetting the advisors guiding or Giles from wall to wall.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"