Series 1 Episode 3

ChrisKmfan
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Series 1 Episode 3

Post by ChrisKmfan »

Discuss!
I'm looking forward to this one to see if this team can get to level 2.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 1 Episode 3

Post by TheBrollachan »

Hmm interesting they only just got food in time. The riddles are definately harder in the earlier series than in the later ones.

I don't know whether the still fire at the end is superimposed at the end but I've noticed a mistake. If you look carefully at the metal mantel above the still fire you can see the reflection of flames flickering. Thus Treguard definately is not standing in front of a blue screen to do the start and end pieces.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
combuta
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by combuta »

And a breakthrough event...

There was sidestepping!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

So this team have become the first to meet Cedric, Casper and Merlin, and reach Level 2. Cedric took the food away from Simon at the end, something he wouldn't do in Series 2. We had a bit of ad-lib from the dungeoneer for the first time, instead of just relaying the advisors instructions like a parrot. Simon said 'Simon, my lady' in Lillith's Lair. And there was a bit of a CSO mistake on the closeup of Merlin when he first appeared, there was a noticable black border around him. Still, they scored 2 right-'Wart charming'? Who would have guessed that?
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I missed the episode due to the TV being taken over....Groundbreaking sidestepping was introduced for THIS episode?...Was not vastly used for the first series.

It is odd to see how white the horns are on the helmet, as opposed to...Well they look like a faded gold to me, now.
Last edited by Kieran on 09 Jun 2004, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Lots of first-time things in this fairly good episode. Lillith gives the team 2 spells, and as this is the first time magic has been used in an episode, Treguard gives a lengthy explanation of the Spellcasting and Disspell prodedures.

We get to see a Catacombite for the first time (impressive, considering each frame was hand-drawn and scanned in). Although the team managed to use a FREEZER spell to stun it, it was still deadly and any contact had to be avoided at all costs. I think they were let off though, they DEFINITELY touched the Catacombite at least twice before exiting!

Interesting how the dungeoneer had to hold up that talisman thing so that the camera (and therefore the advisers) could see the symbol on it! He kept holding it up until he went through the door ;)
Next, into a completely dark room "Where am I?" "Don't know, the screen's totally blank". The FLARE spell they used didn't last very long - Treguard's explanation of the wellway obviously wasted spell time - and the FLARE went out just as the dungeoneer reached the wellway, but he stilll managed to make it through!

The team made it to Level 2, and immediately had to challenge Cedric the Mad Monk (who seems REALLY rude). They only got one of his riddles right, so Cedric took the food away! Life Force was critical in the next room, and they just managed to get the food in time before the 2nd eyeball rolled away!

I liked how they thought the gold bar was a snuff-box ;). Still, since this was the first team to make it to Level 2, Treguard warned that they should discard any level 1 objects if they still had them.
I also liked Casper the talking key, and how he insisted they didn't bump him around :) Also, Casper seemed to be trying to guide the dungeoneer around in the moving keyhole room.

Also got to see Merlin in this episode, after solving a simple puzzle (to make an M out of blocks). Merlin seems a bit confused, perhaps still getting the character developed? Scored 2/3 on his riddles and got two spells, then time-out occurred as they were leaving the room.

Didn't see any sidesteps - one of the advisers said 'step to the right' but the dungeoneer turned instead.

Spellcasting: E-D-I-T. I've made an animated GIF of that scary-looking Catacombite:

http://tomsonic.dyndns.org:90/temp/km/c ... _small.gif

There's also a full-screen version with more detail and colors, but it's 4.3MB :(
http://tomsonic.dyndns.org:90/temp/km/catacombite.gif
Last edited by Tom41 on 09 Jun 2004, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
ChrisKmfan
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by ChrisKmfan »

A good episode with plenty to talk about
Good to see Merlin make an appearance and he made a comment about Mogdred which was interesting.

Cedric the mad monk was rude and funny(dogs bottom) and certainly his questions were not easy,was a bit nail biting where Simon's lifeforce almost ran out and he just picked up the apple in time in the next room.
This team overall are doing well and I certainly hope they get to level 3.

I was really glad we got to see the Catacombite,the first time i've seen it since one episode in the series 3 repeats last year. :)
I love the growling sound it makes and it's odd movements.
Roll on tommorows episode I say.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

... so Treguard doesn't know everything!

Within this ep, Treguard said that no one knows how many levels there are to the dungeon but that they will face Mogdred on the lowest level.

I take it that there were 3 levels even at this early stage
Good night out there; whatever you are!
combuta
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by combuta »

What? No sidesteps? Doh :-(

I thought I saw him sidestep at one point when asked to step to the right.... maybe I was looking too hard :-) It looked like he moved over too quickly to have turned right and walk a step forward and left again.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

good episode,
But to many questions, and no enough floor puzzles.

What is chasing them in the hall way of the dead? reminds me of that sounds from season 6

Lilith was in a good mood.. probs her last victim cheered her up a bit,

They should have died after the Monk, you could see the life force being put back just after they entered the level 2 clue room,

So far the team are doing quite well, only one real mistake and that was with the monks questions..
Didn't Merlin want all 3 answers correct?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Good episode - showed a lot more of the dungeon meaning it had picked up pace since the last 2 episodes which seamed all the same. Will be interesting to see how this team do because they seam good (although I know what happens to them because I read about it).
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

The outfit Cedric wears is awfully familiar to the one Brother Strange wears 6 years later. Alright, I know they're both monks, but it may even be the same staff.

About time we got off level 1, really. Merlin appears, and is confused. No change there then.

Casper the key reminds me of Fidjit, who was of course a sort of thieving locksmith. Both weren't terrific characters, but as far as small objects with voices go, Casper isn't too bad. Hey, could've been worse, it could've been a pixie whose legs never move. ;D

Loved the Treguard looking slightly forlorn, and being whooshed away in Lilith's Chamber.

It's gettng better!
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

And the costume Gumboil wears looks similar to the one Snapper-Jack wears...

Rather odd how they didn't win food off Cedric, but found an apple in the next room.

Team 2 next season do almost the same thing but no magic to evade a ghost. I suppose these nippers were let off...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Indeed, this was the episode where Level Two made its debut, along with Cedric, Casper and Merlin. I think the script was ruined a bit, though, with the Dungeoneer telling him his name! :)

Yup, the first episode to feature a side-step. However, it won't explicitally be called a side-step until the next team arrives.
Subject to change.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

It was a dull episode but a great debut again, for Merlin, Cedric and Casper... I was watching Knightmare from Series 5 onwards when smaller so I am really impressed...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/