RED BUTTON !!!!

Discussion of the repeats of Knightmare on the satellite channel Challenge?
Treguard
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

RED BUTTON !!!!

Post by Treguard »

Bleeding hell. Do they really need to put that big  "PRESS RED BUTTON" sign in the top left?   it obscured poor old Treguard's head in the episode today in some shots.   Think it would be great if people who find this annoying to  could email  challenge and ask them to remove it just for the duration of the programme  (the challenge? logo in the right corner is much more tolerable as at least it's transparent in bits)
OoooOooOoohhhhh Nasty
NeilJones
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: RED BUTTON !!!!

Post by NeilJones »

Easy way to fix:

Go to the Channel.  Press the Red Button.

Now while it says "Loading..." press the Backup button.  The icon disappears.

Now as long as you stay on Challenge (this works on every other digital channel except for maybe the odd BBC service) you won't see the red icon again.

Oh and they put that there to notify people that there are interactive facilities available.  Mail them all you like, it won't make a difference, they've done this for months.
Yes I'm still here. Do you know who I am?
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

u dont have to do that,

if the red button icon is on screen just press the "Backup" button at it will disapper, it will come back after the adds so u will then have to do it again,  it works on all the channels, and saves loading it and they turning it off wich will damage your box if u keep pressing the buttions and flapping around
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

u dont have to do that,

if the red button icon is on screen just press the "Backup" button at it will disapper, it will come back after the adds so u will then have to do it again,  it works on all the channels, and saves loading it and they turning it off wich will damage your box if u keep pressing the buttions and flapping around
I quite like that idea . Now if only I had digital TV....  ;D

Actually, I remember the Sci-Fi sticking a smally planet thingy in the top right-hand screen when they were showing repeats of Knightmare
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Here is a good example of what I mean:

James Aukett
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Yeh, Challenge? have their little question mark icon thing top right which I don't think you can get rid of. The red button is all to do with their interactive services, but thankfully it seems we can get rid of at least that.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

To me it really doesn't present much of a problem, Channel 5 did the same thing for a while and I ended up just getting used to it  :)
James Aukett
Duncan
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Duncan »

u dont have to do that,

Quite a laughable response - anyone know what the last sentence means? Using the remote control will damage your box?

Neil Jones' solution is one of the best ideas - here are some others which may work:

SOLUTION 1: (as per Neil Jones) When the Red Dot appears, press the red button on your remote, then quickly followed by the backup key. The red dot will then stay off until you change channel.

SOLUTION 2: Choose Challenge as an 'other channel'. On you remote select "SERVICES", then "4" (SYSTEM SETUP), Then "4" (ADD CHANNELS). You then need to enter the frequency (11739), polarisation (V), symbol rate (27.5), and FEC (2/3) applicable for Challenge, using the arrow keys to move between the options. For the frequency, enter this using the number keys on your remote, for the others use the left and right arrow keys to toggle between the options. If this is successful, you should see the following listed: UK Living, Challenge, Trouble, Bravo, TV Travel Shop and a few others. Move arrows to Challenge and press the yellow button to save it to the 'other channels' list.

Now - to access Challenge. Press "services", followed by "6" (Other channels), and it should be listed. Highlight, using the arrow keys, and press "select". You should now be viewing Challenge without the red dot!

(You lose the "Search and Scan" banner by doing this, you can't use the Planner to auto-change channels, and it's not exactly user friendly)

SOLUTION 3: (for Sky+ subscribers) Press PAUSE, then after a few seconds, press PLAY.

SOLUTION 4: There's a red dot removal device available, but it's only just been released and needs further research and developement in my opinion.

-

I hope the above solutions are useful to anyone who's recording the series on Challenge. Sort out the red dot removal before recording each episode, and make sure it works.

As for the Challenge symbol on the top right hand side, it's irremovable.

If you don't like all the on-screen clutter, I suggest you visit http://www.logofreetv.org.uk .

And if anyone intends on recording the series from Challenge and wouldn't mind making a copy available to me (Treguard?) then let me know.

I cancelled my personal Sky subscription recently due to rising costs.

Anyway,

Hope you're all going to have a nice new year.

-Duncan
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Well thanks for the advice Duncan  ;D
Hope you have a great New Year too
Cheers
James Aukett
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Thanks Duncan. Now I'll have to rerecord them in the New Year without the red dot. Bleh.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Just press the backup button DUH
no need to load it all up or log onto this and then press that, its a simple push on the backup button, its not rocket science,

and yes if u keep pressing the buttons over and over the digi box over heats and crashes, not always the case but it does happen and can damage bits inside,
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Yes I got rid of the RED, but aside from that, Challeneges presentation of KM has been super so far!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Duncan
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Duncan »

Just press the backup button DUH
no need to load it all up or log onto this and then press that, its a simple push on the backup button, its not rocket science,

and yes if u keep pressing the buttons over and over the digi box over heats and crashes, not always the case but it does happen and can damage bits inside,
Are you on drugs? Seriously.

Yes your solution gets rid of the red dot, but it comes back after each break, usually a minute into the programme.

My solutions (and Neil's) get rid of the red dot until you change channels so there's no "few seconds of the red dot embarressment on your video recordings of Knightmare".

And Neil, is there any proof that pressing a couple of buttons will cause overheating and damage to a digibox? I really don't think so somehow......
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Why don't we just agree to disagree? Everyone has their preferred way to get rid of the evil red dottiness so surely we're all happy? "You say potato and I say potato" and all that, except the point of the song is completely lost with the words in text. Ho hum.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

pressing a few buttons doesnt disable the box,
its when u keep pressing the buttons one after the other it overheats and then gets stuck,
Again when u keep pressing the buttons over and over one after the other,  ::)  ::)  ::)

And yes, i drink Tea and coffee  :P

I can not beliveve that this stupid red dot has done this to us all, lol CONTROL THE DOT, IT DOESNT CONTROL YOU. U can just hear in laughing in the distance while its putting its evil plan into work, takeing over the tv, stating with challenge/knightmare and then getting hold of the others one by one untill were all killing each other about the ways the kill IT,  Its taunts me