1-4 or 5-8

Specific series and episode discussion only! Please find the right thread.
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

1-4 or 5-8

Post by Moocowthingy »

What did you prefer series 1-4 or series 5-8?.  Personaly I liked the earlier series better.  Knightmare was always Knightmare and it was always great to watch but for me in series 5 some things happened which made it not quite as good as the earlier versions.

Well as we all know in S5 the opposition was introduced headed by one Lord fear.  Lord Fear for me took the mystery away from the opposition.  He was far to involved in the quests and was seen far to often.  He also never seemed as scary or nasty as say Mogdred or Malice.  I think part of this was because of his henchmen like Scarkill, Julius Scaramonger and Sylvester hands.  To me these charecters always seemed a bit daft and too easy too defeat.  Later additions like Lisard and Raptor didnt make things any better.

Also from series 5 onwards we lost the old 3 question format.  A real shame as in my house at least this was the part where other people stopped what they were doing and listened to the questions in the hope they may sound brainy for 2 mins.   I know we stil got questions but it didnt demand the attention it did before.

Ok to prove Im not a total  anti level 5-8 person heres a few things I did like.  Smirkernorff, Wintaria and the Brollachan. ohh and corridor of blades blood splatting.

It was nice to see from the series guides that series 8 made aq return to the older style of Knightmare where most of the levels are inside and even Smerkenorff has an insie room.  It was also nice to see that this had been done cus it was what the fans wanted.  I dont think I saw much of series 8 I think by that time I had discoverd a large and powerful room called PUB, which was inhabited by strangly aluring creatures called WOMEN.

So who will champion the corner for series 5-8 Im sure theres more than one of you :) .

NOTE: THIS POST BASED THE DUNGEON AND ITS CHARECTERS NOT THE DUNGEONEERS OR THIER ADVISORS.  IF BETTER OR FUNNIER TEAMS PLAYED IN 1-4 OR 5-8 I FIND THAT CO-INCIDENTAL.
Last edited by Moocowthingy on 18 Aug 2003, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
Brangwen
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: 1-4 or 5-8

Post by Brangwen »

I also prefer Series 1-4. I think Series 5 and onwards had the lack of good wall monsters which I've always enjoyed from the previous seasons.

Come to think of it, I only really enjoyed the outside locations in Series 4, afterwards they started to put more village-type locations and lost the feeling of the previous dungeons.

Also, I've always prefered Mogdred to Lord Fear. Both were brilliant enemies but Mogdred gave me this eerie feeling that Lord Fear didn't.

Though Series 5 and onwards had more use of the Corridor of Blades, oooohhh^_^
PhoenixFlame
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by PhoenixFlame »

Personally, I liked the later series, as I was never keen on the 'scary' Treguard.  I always liked the more knightly Treuard!  Also, Fear did a lot more in the quests, because he had such useless minions.  Well, that's just my opinion!
Rising from the ashes once again....
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

Later ones! I simply loved Lord Fear and his useless minions  ;D :D but I really missed the wall monsters form earlier series and the original helmet plus I liked thr steps in Merlins room
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

I think I'll go with the earlier series- they were tougher and possibly more exciting.
However, series 5-8 were still a joy to watch. When Mogdred left, there could only be one person to replace him- Lord Fear.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

everything after season 8  ;)
Before the 1st season where pretty good to ;)
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

So teams the score so far is 3 to 2 in favour of the earlier series.  Will more strangers step boldly forward and alter the score?.

Mephisto I think the answer to your riddle is, you like the Adventure game ( BBC ) and that thing that came after Knightmare with the name Ive forgotten :) .
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Thing after Knightmare was called Virtually Impossible  ;D

I think the earlier series are better, more suspense, althought the incidental music in the later series added to the suspense to..
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

I hate 'Virtually Impossible'
Never heard of the 'Adventure game'  er
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Well I cant pass judgement on Virtualy impossible as I never saw it.  As for the Adventure game it was on BBC and is quite a bit older than Knightmare so therefore I dont remeber that much about it.  A few of the things I do remember are that teams went into rooms by solving puzzels.  PUzzels were things like cross an expanse of water without touching it.  There were also some levels played on a BBC model B computer in a maze.  The final level had Computer graphincs and involved crossing an expanse of space on a zig zag track, I think it was called the vortex.  The last part was very Knightmare-esk.  I know Challenge were shonwing this not so long ago, dont know if its still on or not.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Ouch, I'll struggle to make a choice on this issue. I think 1-4 always carry some sentimental significance, being the introduction and the early development of the game. And, I think they got it superbly right by S3: brilliant. The year before that was smashing as well. I do agree with the points of the opposition being more eerie and mysterious in the earlier series.

However - moving onto the later years - I think that as they tried to integrate more characters in there and operate the game more around interaction and communication rather than general knowledge and quick wit, the whole prospect of the opposition was a good focus, and still added major tensions, by knowing that the dungeoneer would be hunted from pretty much the first steps rather than encounter them later on. There was always a belligerent and competitive rail to the game in the later series as well, as Lord F was the embodiment to interact with the Powers that Be.

I don't think it totally fair to comment on the development as a whole, because certain aspects would have become possible for the later years that weren't in the earlier - and while I think S2 was good, taking a great step up to S3, and then disappointing with S4; I feel this is somewhat repeated by S5 being pretty good (recovery), taking real leaps to S6 and S7, and then disappointing a bit in S8.

If I answer the question in terms of achievement, perhaps - I think S5-8 would just edge it for me in watchability (altho. 3 is my fav, 7, 6, 2 and 5 are my following four, which would suggest the second half is just balanced in favour of the later years) - but S1-4 were of the best achievement. I'd always pinpoint in a show of this nature that the first years were the most important, because they hold the key to any future for it. KM started with a flourish, which was a real plus, and the level of consecutive improvements in the following two years to hit such a monumental S3, which in many ways set the show up for as far ahead as it wanted to run, was totally incredible - so I fight to a point each.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Thanks Redknight for your well thought out and balenced views :) .  Its somtimes nice to see an alternative view point so when I eventualy see some of the other series again I can look at them in that way.  We agree on one main point, S3 was classic, 3 question clue rooms, danger in most rooms and some great teams.  Unfortunatly it lacked the one thing, a winning team, but hey at least we know it wasent a fix.
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SrWilson3S »

Oh I totally agree with you on Virtually impossible you wouldnt belive how much I wanted to grab that stupid fish by its tail and slam it into the walls left and right.
The woman villian was a joke too she set em 40.000 points every week when she claimed she was gonna make it higher lol lame.
BRING BACK KM damn it!!

in response to the question ill go with 5-8 however 4 is a fave of mine too so i like series 4 - 8 hehe.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

What pissed me off about Virtually impossible  was in the letter we got after Knightmare went off the air told us that Broadsword where doing this Virtually impossible show and i quite keen to see what i was like... i was looking forward to it... well after watching the 1st couple of episodes that was it...hated it.
Galgarach
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Galgarach »

I prefered the earlier seasons (partially coz of Martin Tool n the gang) and this sounds silly but the later series lacked the crap graphics that really made up knightmare. The first series were really creative as well, the later ones were to, almost, cartooney, with lord fear and the good versus evil type plot.
Fail three times and I feed on you!