The Eye Shield Issue 70

A dedicated section for The Eye Shield fanzine.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

The Eye Shield Issue 70

Post by Eyeshield »

We've come to the end of the line at last. The final issue of The Eye Shield is now available here: http://knightmare.com/fanzine/eyeshield ... -2011.html
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: The Eye Shield Issue 70

Post by Canadanne »

Awww, it's the end of an era. I'm always sad to see wonderful things come to an end, although it does seem like the right time to wrap up the fanzine now that all the show's features have been covered. Thanks so much for all your hard work, Jake - it's been an absolute pleasure to read! Your enthusiasm for Knightmare is infectious and I truly hope you won't be disappearing from the fandom entirely.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

As someone who's read every issue since issue 1 when it first came out on paper, it's kind of sad to see it go. But as you say in the issue, Jake, you've chronicled all you can. I think there are a few very minor characters you missed out, but to be honest, with such an expansive back catalogue, even 100 issues can't have captured every minute aspct of every second of Knightmare. So well done for taking up the baton, carrying it on with you, and continuing TES for so many years, especially since it was effecitvely the precursor to the sprawling Internet community you see here today.

Oh, and incidentally, I've always imagined you with brown hair.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Thanks Jake. As ever, I’ll chortle at your verse and contest your team ‘ratings’. But this time, I’ll lament, and pay tribute to an outstanding and sustained effort over these years.

You may recall a little something in your opening message from Issue 53, almost three years ago. I was living in Switzerland then, finding it very difficult. Knightmare and its surrounding projects were a saving grace. It was really motivating to get a mention and feel a peripheral part of what was going on. Though I don’t think we’ve had the last word on Knightmare, both KM fandom and the community has benefitted so much from staples holding it together. We all owe you a great deal, squire, and if you are to take a well-earned retirement from this little corner then all the very best for everything you do on to do.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys. :)

Here's a challenge for Ben and others - if you can find me a credited character who's never starred in a Remember Him/Her (and I would never have included an uncredited character in this section) or Creature Feature, or an uncredited/background character who's never had their moment in the spotlight within an instalment of Creature Feature or (at the very least) in the "Extras, Extras!" article in Issue 69, I will make it my personal mission to find a suitable prize and send it to you!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I'm impressed that you remembered the password guards from series 7 and 8 - I was banking on you having not done so! Anyway, looking through the list I made (yes, I genuinely did make a list), I'm going on the unnamed frightknight/behemoth on the series 4 transporter pad (although you did mention him in the Puzzle Page) - and the gargoyle who repeated the word "doom" over and over again in series 2. Assuming that's not Mugg. I don't think it is Mugg, because the voice is different.

It could also be argued that the dragon in series 2 was not Owen and that you didn't mention him as a separate entity. Although personally I think it was Owen.

And don't forget Tiny, or the named Pookas either - Falgo and Puck!
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Having checked, I will admit that the "Doom" Gargoyle, Puck and Falgo are only mentioned during the relevant "Classic Quest" sections - see Issues 24, 40 and 70. I remember realising shortly after uploading my "Creature Feature" about gargoyles that I had forgotten to include the "Doom" one, and I think I was quite annoyed at the time, although clearly I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.

As for Puck and Falgo, I've just realised that I've never actually written a "Creature Feature" on pookas myself - I suppose I could have added that to my "doubling-up" pile along with Paul's old articles if I'd thought of it, but having said that, I think Puck, Falgo and the "Doom" Gargoyle get more than enough exposure in their "Classic Quest" bits (as those are the sole appearances of all three characters) and I don't think I would have had much else to say about them. However, perhaps I should have added "Classic Quest" to my list of possible articles to search for the most obscure characters!

As for the other characters mentioned, I utterly refute them as omissions! :D Here are the references:
Transporter Pad Knight: RT10, CF29
Series 2 Dragon: CF36 (along with Owen, or as Owen, whichever you prefer)
Tiny: CF10, CF61
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Eyeshield wrote:However, perhaps I should have added "Classic Quest" to my list of possible articles to search for the most obscure characters!
You should have done. Heh. But thanks for the clarification.

I always wanted to rewrite my CF on pookas at some point, since I've learned a lot more about them since, and that article has undergone quite a lot of changes since I first wrote it in various formats. After an extensive period, I eventually massively rewrote a Lexicon entry on them, which has traces of the CF in it. Still, I'd have liked to see your interpretation of said sprites. I've yet to meet anyone who actively disliked them, which is a good thing, in my opinion...
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

I like the pookas on Knightmare. I think they're vastly underused in series 7, with only one in-quest appearance (with Julie in level one) and a lot of pointless floating about during end-credit sequences. I think the CG-revamp they received for series 6 is pretty nice, and this series is certainly the one in which pookas are used to greatest effect in my opinion.

Like all haunting-type creatures, pookas are fairly limited in how much they can actually do to hinder the quest, but they do provide some great moments of forest-bound (and occasionally dunegon-bound) tension, with their strikingly green, leafy appearance hitting just the right note to match their surroudings.

Having said that, I think pookas can certainly boast more depth than skull ghosts and stormgeists because of the simple fact that two of them had names and - perhaps more importantly - at least one of them was more than a mindless dungeoneer-chaser; apparently Puck would do anything for anyone as long as they knew his name, which could have got him into some trouble actually!
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Aww I liked the Eye Shield it was a good magazine. Oh well I guess I'll just read over all of them again XDDDDDD
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.